TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Jupiter from June 21st with 3 Moons and shadow

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

I finally got around to processing some of the Jupiter images from June 21st. It was captured in FireCapture and stacked in Autostakert then off to Registax and then PScc. It was about 5% of 12,000 frames stacked over 60 seconds. I had the ADC on, but did not have it set right due to my Mount DEC issues that night and had to keep hitting the RA back and nudge the Dec up with hand lol. I kind of see how important it is to have it now with Jupiter low in the sky about 26 Deg. I noticed it most on the moons.

Taken with Celestron C-11
ZWO 385MC
ZWO ADC
Baader M & S Glow
Antares 1.5x barlow
Skywatcher EQ6-R

Thx for looking :)

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Jupiter from June 21st with 3 Moons and shadow

Post by JayTee »

Very nice.

Tell me about your ADC. I'm seriously considering the purchase of this accessory. Even though Jup gets up to 47° Alt at my location.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Jupiter from June 21st with 3 Moons and shadow

Post by TheButcher »

JayTee wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 am Very nice.

Tell me about your ADC. I'm seriously considering the purchase of this accessory. Even though Jup gets up to 47° Alt at my location.

Cheers,
JT
Thx JT

The ADC works really good I think, you can totally notice the difference when you see the blue and red variants. Basically it is 2 prisms that redirect the distorted light from the atmosphere and refocuses it and corrects it with the ADC being Horizontily level and a white knob in the middle and you spread the two levers apart at even rates until you see it aligned. You have to correct it every 10 min or so while Jupiter/planet is climbing in altitude. then when it is near its highest point you have about an hour of not adjusting it then as it goes down. But still could be useful under not so good seeing for you or when it is lower and clear at the time. Others know more then me, but this is what I read about it. It could also be usefull for moon when it is low.

And with FireCapture it has an ADC tool where you alighn the Red and Blue Circle until it centers together near the white circle. If you go to fire capture even with out it and check it, you would see those circles bounce around.

It also has a ZERO position where it does not do corrections if you want. That is good when you don't need it. But I only used it a few times so far and the time before this I got the hang of it and canceled out the atmosphere distortion. With out it being used properly in the image above you can see it on the Moons with Blue top and red bottom smear and on Europa's shadow. I had my ADC all set, then my DEC went so I left it in since I did not feel like refocusing and stuff and just scrounging to get the imaging in so it was way off.

You can get one used for about $100 in classifieds. They are hard to get now new from online shops I think. There are 2 versions, the old one and the new one. The new one has a bubble indicator which makes it easier to know you are aligned horizontly. But the older version is the same thing as the new, but no Bubble thing. I bought the old version (2-3) years old with no bubble, but found the bubble attachment ring on Agena for $20. I just took the old ring off and replaced it with the new bubble ring. so it does not matter if you see one with or without.

It sounds tricky but easy once you know the principals. The images I took on the 21st I had the ADC just in one position the whole time as I did not have the time to play with it or I woud loose Jupiter on the screen.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/