Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Discuss binoculars.
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Which binoculars do you use most for astronomy?

Post by Jay6821 »

I have a pair of Oberwerk's with ED glass that I use all the time. I use my 8x42 Sport ED for general viewing (with an 8.1 degree FOV) and to help decide if I want to haul other astronomy equipment out at night. My favorite astronomy binoculars are my Oberwerk 20×65 ED Deluxe.

I just ordered a parallelogram mount today and can hardly wait for that to arrive.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)
Mandrew
Moon Ambassador

Post by Mandrew »

Oberwerk 8x56, 15x70 deluxe, 100mm Ed binocular telescope.
Devout bino lover and Lunaholic! Scopes - Celestron RASA 8, Orion 180mm Mak-Cass, 6"f8 dob, ST80. binos - Orion 7x50, Oberwerk 8x56 LW, Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe, 15x70 Deluxe, Oberwerk 100mm ED Binocular telescope.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Mandrew wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:57 am Oberwerk 8x56, 15x70 deluxe, 100mm Ed binocular telescope.
How are your Deluxes? Have you compared them to the LWs? I know the LWs are basically the same as the C-tron SKyMasters, but it's a little hard to tell from the pics how much is different about the Deluxes. Tnx!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador

Post by rocdoc »

The answer is in constant flux, particularly recently when I found myself on a bino buying kick. I switched to an all Oberwerk lineup. Currently it goes as follows: if I'm observing on impulse and want mobility, I grab the 8x42 Sport ED hand held. If still grab-and-go, but want to be a bit more serious about what I want to ferret out, the 10x50 Ultra, either hand held in a zero gravity chair on the deck, or on a good monopod with trigger grip. If I want to set up for a serious session, and big bino is my instrument of choice, I take out the big boys, the 25x100 Deluxe (IF version) on a tripod with a dedicated spring-loaded head (the Obie 5000).
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Oberwerk 11x56 on a parallelogram mount I built.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 pm
Mandrew wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:57 am Oberwerk 8x56, 15x70 deluxe, 100mm Ed binocular telescope.
How are your Deluxes? Have you compared them to the LWs? I know the LWs are basically the same as the C-tron SKyMasters, but it's a little hard to tell from the pics how much is different about the Deluxes. Tnx!
I read that the coatings are the same. However, the Deluxe maintain collimation much better. The Oberwerk website has a page that makes collimating the LWs very easy. I owned the LW 15x70 and now own the LW 11x70. I live under bortle 9 skies. Thus, the smaller exit pupil of the LW 15x70 is better. However, at my dark sites the LW 11x70 are better/brighter. The true aperture of both is 63mm or 62mm.
Mandrew
Moon Ambassador

Post by Mandrew »

are your Deluxes? Have you compared them to the LWs? I know the LWs are basically the same as the C-tron SKyMasters, but it's a little hard to tell from the pics how much is different about the Deluxes. Tnx!

The deluxe models are worth the extra expense in both quality and colimation. I like the LW series more than the Celestrons. More consistent all around.
Devout bino lover and Lunaholic! Scopes - Celestron RASA 8, Orion 180mm Mak-Cass, 6"f8 dob, ST80. binos - Orion 7x50, Oberwerk 8x56 LW, Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe, 15x70 Deluxe, Oberwerk 100mm ED Binocular telescope.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I use a pair of nikon 10x50 6.5deg, i find to get the best out of them i have to lean on something.
Attachments
117773627_320495142695239_3224078883652015152_n.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

I don't often use binoculars, but MrsG uses them when I'm fiddling with cameras mounts and telescopes.
Her favoured ones are the Canon 10x32 with IS. Those, a reclining chair and Stellarium, and she sees a lot. Tracking down Neptune was a great delight.

The ability of the IS to lock the image position allows more time for the brain to see detail in the image that's made on the retina.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Gfamily wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am The ability of the IS to lock the image position allows more time for the brain to see detail in the image that's made on the retina.
I used to have a Technostabi some time ago. IS surely helps a lot!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

My 10x50s do an ok job for scanning about whilst imaging. Best to stand with my back to a wall to steady them!

I've got a monocular which I keep in the car for zooming in on stuff occasionally, wildlife during the day or the sky when on a night shift.

And I've got a brass pocket telescope. It is mandatory to exclaim "Aye arrrhh" in a pirate voice when using.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I collimated my Skymaster 15x70's the other day after watching a youtube video going through the process. I didn't realize how off they were until I did it. Much better images now.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Gfamily wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am I don't often use binoculars, but MrsG uses them when I'm fiddling with cameras mounts and telescopes.
Her favoured ones are the Canon 10x32 with IS. Those, a reclining chair and Stellarium, and she sees a lot. Tracking down Neptune was a great delight.

The ability of the IS to lock the image position allows more time for the brain to see detail in the image that's made on the retina.
What is IS?

Thanks

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Image Stabilization. Quite pricey compared to optical only binos, but ppl who have them seem to love them.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:08 pm Image Stabilization. Quite pricey compared to optical only binos, but ppl who have them seem to love them.
Thanks, yes.
IS is Image Stabilization; basically the bins have X-Y motion sensors, and the prism that is in the optical path has vertical-horizontal microactuators that work with millisecond response times to adjust the optical path to compensate for the hand held wobbles.
Amazingly, they work.

In normal use, the image just locks when the button is pressed.

For these Canons at least, the 10x30 optics are as good as I have seen.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
DozerBolt
Earth Ambassador

Post by DozerBolt »

Greetings,
My lifelong go-to hand holdable astronomy binoculars have been my Orion Little Giant Abbe-Koenig roof prism 9x63s. When I just need to pull that extra layer of depth out of M44 or M7, or Comet NEOWISE, these do the trick. 9x is completely hand-holdable,and these are slender, well balanced and hand-friendly despite their weight. The Abbe Koenig prisms make a huge difference, plus they look really cool. They are tough, durable, and easy to fit in a suitcase for travel - a lot of astronomy in a little bit of space. When I flew to Australia to see the night skies, these were the only choice; the Orions are at their best on the road. Their only real drawback is that they are seriously heavy, and nowadays I can only use them for 1-2 minutes at a time.

I have just acquired a new challenger for the title - a pair of Vortex Crossfire HD 12x50 SP roofs; they are really capable all-around binoculars - compact, hand friendly and lightweight by astronomy binocular measures. I just wrote an article on BirdForum on the ease of hand-holding 10x binoculars when the bins and technique are right, and I find that exercise applies to these 12x50s. The optics are really good, and it's 100% hand-holdable, at least for me. And, if possible, these are even better looking than the Orions! These are my current best all-arounders, but it's still a dogfight for the astronomy title...

I also recently discovered binocular astronomy using a tripod, and both these binoculars excel at this (the Orions don't have an adapter screw, but I use a velcro strap mount). And both make two-eyed star gazing a must-see. It's a Golden Age for Binoculars, people!
Attachments
Orion Little Giant 9x63 AK roofs.jpeg
Crossfire HD 12x50.jpg
DozerBolt from Northern California
Odyssey 8" Dob, Dynamax 6" Cat, Orion Shortube 90mm, Restored Tasco 9F 60mm, Meade EclipseView 82mm tabletop;
Orion 9x63 Little Giant AK roofs, Orion Ultra 2x54 Galilleans, Vortex Crossfire HD 12x50 roofs, Nikon Owl II 7x50, Atlas Eagle Owl 10x50 Porros;
Swift Audubon 8.5x44 804b(2), 10x42 Orion Otter ED SP Roofs, more;
"My other telescopes are Hubble and Spitzer"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I’ve read good things about Vortexes.
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Post by OleCuss »

I still have a really cheap 7x35 which I got when I was probably about 6-8 years old. Still work!

For years I mostly used a 10x50 Redfield. They've held up well for me for years. I can no longer find the ones I have or find a particular model name/number but they've held up to some fairly hard use and the optics are good.

Now I'm mostly using a Canon 10x42 L IS. Amazing what stabilization and great optics will do for you!
DozerBolt
Earth Ambassador

Post by DozerBolt »

The old adage still applies: "The best binoculars are the ones you will use."

I imagine that using IS bins is a bit like using a tripod. I have hear rumor that they can be rather heavy.

And yup, my experience with Vortex bins is that they totally ROCK (I've had these for about 3 weeks) - while the Crossfires are the entry level Vortex optics, they are amazing price/performance. You can get better binoculars, but not anywhere near their price. And nobody really talks about 12x50s in astronomy circles, but they absolutely kill my (very nice) 10x50 porros. I haven't finished my review, but it's coming soon...
DozerBolt from Northern California
Odyssey 8" Dob, Dynamax 6" Cat, Orion Shortube 90mm, Restored Tasco 9F 60mm, Meade EclipseView 82mm tabletop;
Orion 9x63 Little Giant AK roofs, Orion Ultra 2x54 Galilleans, Vortex Crossfire HD 12x50 roofs, Nikon Owl II 7x50, Atlas Eagle Owl 10x50 Porros;
Swift Audubon 8.5x44 804b(2), 10x42 Orion Otter ED SP Roofs, more;
"My other telescopes are Hubble and Spitzer"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

DozerBolt wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:45 am And nobody really talks about 12x50s in astronomy circles, but they absolutely kill my (very nice) 10x50 porros. I haven't finished my review, but it's coming soon...
:popcorn: Looking forward to reading that.