New CEM40 EC Mount

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New CEM40 EC Mount

Post by STEVE333 »

Just got my new CEM40 EC mount. Looks very solid compared to my current ZEQ25 mount (both from iOptron).
A little intimidating with all the new features. However, I've been going through the setup (including adding my own ZERO POSITION marks). Unfortunately the power supply just died, so, no more setup until a new one arrives. Frustrating!!!

More to come (with some pictures) once the new power supply arrives.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Aidi

Re: New CEM40 EC Mount

Post by Aidi »

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it Steve. I umm'd and arr'd about shifting over to iOptron when i decided to buy a new mount.. Only thing which kept me with Skywatcher was i pretty much know and like EQmod and its reliablity.. and didnt want to go though a new learning process..

But, these new iOptron mounts a becoming very popular so never say never. Hope you're back working pretty soon. I do hear good things about iOptron support
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Congrats on the new mount, Steve!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Congrats on the new mount, Steve, and bummer on the power supply. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience. (Don't tell SWMBO, I am eyeing a CEM60 , or maybe a 40).

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

This mount is interesting because of its super low weight and high capacity.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 pm Congrats on the new mount, Steve!
Thanks - Can't wait to give it a try.

Kanadalainen wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:36 pm This mount is interesting because of its super low weight and high capacity.
The low weight was a must for me because I leave the mount on the tripod all the time. Total weight for mount + tripos is 29.2 pounds which I can still carry up/down my mobile home steps. My old ZEQ25 (which weighed 23.2 pounds on tripod) has developed a bad Dec backlash problem which I have not been able to correct. I'm assuming (and hoping) this new EC version will solve that problem forever.

bobharmony wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 am Congrats on the new mount, Steve, and bummer on the power supply. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience. (Don't tell SWMBO, I am eyeing a CEM60 , or maybe a 40).

Bob
Thanks Bob, and, mum's the word to SWMBO. :roll:

Aidi wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 pm Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it Steve. I umm'd and arr'd about shifting over to iOptron when i decided to buy a new mount.. Only thing which kept me with Skywatcher was i pretty much know and like EQmod and its reliablity.. and didnt want to go though a new learning process..

But, these new iOptron mounts a becoming very popular so never say never. Hope you're back working pretty soon. I do hear good things about iOptron support
As I mentioned to Kanadalainen, the low weight of this mount was essential for me. I certainly understand not wanting to learn new drivers/hardware/etc. I firmly believe the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". We'll see how the iOptron Support is with the power supply issue.

I hope to do a mini-review (I don't know enough to do anything more than that) when all is up and running. It has a built in Polar Alignment system that looks very similar to Pole Master. It also has an opening under the dovetail mount where the cables can be fed through and come out about 5" below, just over the RA axis drive. I'm hoping it will resolve some of my "cabling issues" which always make it difficult to balance the scope in RA and Dec. I always find the balance changes significangtly as the RA axis moves through the night. Anyway, more to come.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Steve,

I look forward to your review, This mount is a candidate for my AP rig-soon-to-be-realized. :)

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
OleCuss

Post by OleCuss »

I'm hoping iOptron has come through for you. Over the years I've heard that they are good at customer support so I'm betting they either did - or will.