Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: July AP Processing Challenge

Post by Graeme1858 »

Ok, so here's my go!

I pulled in the RGB, Ha and Oiii into Gimp as separate layers. After stretching all three with curves and levels and boosting the RGB layer colours and saturation I played about with the order of the stack and with the opacity.

So treating NB files as OSC files in Gimp doesn't work! At least Brett above understands the words used for NB processing, I don't have that advantage for half of them! A Gimp processing expert might be aware of some functions that could do a better job but I'm off to play with Startools colour mapping!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 pm

At least Brett above understands the words used for NB processing
Well - let's not be hasty now - I recognize that they are English......:lol:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

OK Guys, sorry I didn't get back sooner with replies to all your questions.

As discussed with Graeme when I submitted the data, I did bin the Oiii and Sii and also combining the Ha 3nm and 7nm I simply stacked each separately and then stacked the stacks in Ha.

However I thought it would be a bit much to submit binned data "as is" so I registered all the filters to each other before uploading so you didn't have to mess about, especially if some of you don't have the software to do that. I didn't supply the fits files, just the already stacked and registered files for the same reason.

There was no noise reduction applied during stacking. The binned data was resized by the registering software (Registar) but not drizzled, though now you come to mention that I might even give that a try next time.
did she do this for the nii data ?
No Nii data.

Hope I have answered all the questions.

For those who don't know how to combine filters, you add them to the relevant channels. In this case I created a new image from one of the files and converted it to RGB, then pasted the Sii into the Red channel, Ha into the Green channel, and Oiii into the Blue channel to create an SHO Hubble palette image.

With narrowband you can do what you want really, some like to do HOO (Ha into Red channel, and Oiii into Green and Blue.

Some-one asked to see my original image, and I did more than one version.

This was an HOS version (Ha in the Red channel, Oiii in the Green Channel and Sii in the blue channel)

This was my SHO Hubble Palette version:

and this was my final version where I also added some RGB stars into the mix, but I don't think I gave you the RGB just for the stars as I thought that might be a bit too much, indeed it has taken me a number of years to work out how to do that.

Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone,

I really wasn't going to play (yes play) with this data, but I got rained out from cutting the grass this afternoon and had a curious shot at it. I really, really have absolutely idea what I am doing with this type of data.

When I commented in this thread earlier Graeme ([mention]Graeme1858[/mention] , I meant that I was looking forward to seeing the processes of other members. I had no plans to work with the data myself!

Anyway, I did download the data and messed around with it. Sorry Carole [mention]carastro[/mention] , I really did not do your beautiful data justice!!!!!

Once I started working with it, I saw huge swings of coloration and detail.

I really don't know what I did here, except that I did process the data in Startools and chose to use the Sii into the Red channel, Ha into the Green channel, and Oiii into the Blue channel. I used the SHO (HST) setting in the Startools Color Module.

I really destroyed some of the nice stars by not correctly using the Deconvolution Module and the colors are really messed up!

The coloration is so far off from Carole's beautiful processing, but it was kinda cool looking to me so I am going to share it below.
Carole.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Cara, I was happy to see your efforts with the data. When I did the Ha->R, Oiii->G, Sii->B combination the result seemed a bit over colored to me. I worked to tone it down a bit and will put that version up when finished. Looking at your results, I begin to think the vibrance is in the data, and not in my process.

Thanks for throwing this out there, it's nice to work with NB data for a change.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:35 pm Cara, I was happy to see your efforts with the data. When I did the Ha->R, Oiii->G, Sii->B combination the result seemed a bit over colored to me. I worked to tone it down a bit and will put that version up when finished. Looking at your results, I begin to think the vibrance is in the data, and not in my process.

Thanks for throwing this out there, it's nice to work with NB data for a change.

Bob
I agree Bob, Carole's data and process is very vibrant. Yobbo's process is very beautiful too.

I toned things down a bit, but cannot even scratch the other very fine processes displayed here. Thanks for the exercise!
Carole2.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I went back and loaded StarTools up mapping Ha to R, Oiii to G and Sii to B. I also added the Ha data to the Luminance channel. This time I really pushed the deconvolution module. I backed the colors off a bit from what StarTools came up with. Here is the result:
NGC7822 RGB.jpg
I wasn't able to do anything useful with the downloaded RGB file so have not tweaked the star colors at all. Great fun! Process was Crop, Wipe, Develop, Color Deconvolution, Corlor again, and some noise reduction.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

carastro wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:42 pm Hope I have answered all the questions.

For those who don't know how to combine filters, you add them to the relevant channels. In this case I created a new image from one of the files and converted it to RGB, then pasted the Sii into the Red channel, Ha into the Green channel, and Oiii into the Blue channel to create an SHO Hubble palette image.

With narrowband you can do what you want really, some like to do HOO (Ha into Red channel, and Oiii into Green and Blue.

I'm sure you have Carol and raised a whole load more!

Your final images are really lovely, thanks again for letting us have a go at your data and for sharing your knowledge.

What software do you use to produce the final image from the NB files?

Regards

Graeme

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

What software do you use to produce the final image from the NB files?
I use Photoshop CS3.

Carole
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

By the way, one thing I find very useful once I have processed my image is to blur the coloured image as it removes noise and a multiple of sins. Then I place a decent processed version of the Ha over the top and blend as luminosity, this really cleans and sharpens the image, but does often require some fiddling with the coloured layer as the Ha placed over the top tends to wash out the colour.

Practice makes perfect.

Finally to say if any-one uses photoshop and is interested, I have a number of processing tutorials on You Tube.

Here is a link to my relevant web site page giving you all the links:
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleast ... -tutorials

Carole

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:50 am I went back and loaded StarTools up mapping Ha to R, Oiii to G and Sii to B. I also added the Ha data to the Luminance channel. This time I really pushed the deconvolution module. I backed the colors off a bit from what StarTools came up with. Here is the result:

I wasn't able to do anything useful with the downloaded RGB file so have not tweaked the star colors at all. Great fun! Process was Crop, Wipe, Develop, Color Deconvolution, Corlor again, and some noise reduction.

Bob
Very nice process Bob!

I like the coloration and the nice detail that you pulled out.

After reading your post, I went back in and mixed up the channels somewhat and used Decon to pull out a good amount of detail. I didn’t like how the colors looked, so I just closed it.

Yes it was fun to play with the data. I really don’t have a clue though. I am hoping that some folks here that are familiar with mono data will have a try at it. Just to see what they can do with better familiarity with the process. Yobbo’s process was really a wonderful job. Just goes to show what amazing things can be done with data if you know what you are doing!

Carole’s processes are beautiful!
Jim

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

After some youtubing I discovered you can pull NB images into Gimp with Open as Layers and then use Colour Components Compose to allocate colours. I've been trying different configurations all morning! The original RGB file pasted over the top at 30% opacity whitens the stars. Now I've just re-read Carole's advice above to do that last thing as a sharpening tool!

Here is an OSH version that's been stretched (not too much) with Curves and Levels then Colour Balanced. I turned up the Saturation and Sharpened. A final S Curve and then a Lightening Curve tweak. I've just noticed that attempting to keep the right side of the image has led to a poor crop!

It's not brilliant but it was lots of fun and I've learnt loads!

Regards

Graeme

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

carastro wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:42 pm OK Guys, sorry I didn't get back sooner with replies to all your questions.

As discussed with Graeme when I submitted the data, I did bin the Oiii and Sii and also combining the Ha 3nm and 7nm I simply stacked each separately and then stacked the stacks in Ha.

However I thought it would be a bit much to submit binned data "as is" so I registered all the filters to each other before uploading so you didn't have to mess about, especially if some of you don't have the software to do that. I didn't supply the fits files, just the already stacked and registered files for the same reason.

There was no noise reduction applied during stacking. The binned data was resized by the registering software (Registar) but not drizzled, though now you come to mention that I might even give that a try next time.
did she do this for the nii data ?
No Nii data.

Hope I have answered all the questions.

Some-one asked to see my original image, and I did more than one version.

This was an HOS version (Ha in the Red channel, Oiii in the Green Channel and Sii in the blue channel)

This was my SHO Hubble Palette version:

and this was my final version where I also added some RGB stars into the mix, but I don't think I gave you the RGB just for the stars as I thought that might be a bit too much, indeed it has taken me a number of years to work out how to do that.

very nice i like the last one, chft pallet ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

This is my very first attempt to process NB - so thank you so much [mention]carastro[/mention] for providing this. It was a real challenge for me but a real pleasure too.

So my process (which i'm sure is going to sound crazy to most of you but i am really just working it all out)

First I took each of the mono images into PSCC and did some levels, curves, nose reduction and star reduction.
Then took them in to APP and combined them using the combine RGB tool. I tried various palettes settling on the SHO (Hubble)1 and adjusted the various sliders till I got colour I liked. I did a low level stretch in APP then took it back to PS.

Here I did some more gentle stretching in curves, star reduction (carbonis actions). I increased the saturation using the Bock method and applied a harsh blur with "Dust and scratches". I then went back to the Mono HA and did some more stretching and star reduction on that then applied it as a luminace layer over the blurred version. Some noise reduction using Dfine then a selective High pass routine to bring out the detail in the nebula.A final curves and ended up with this;
Carastro_SHO_Rev_4 final.jpg
I'm reasonably happy with it as my first ever NB, maybe a bit moody and overdone but subtlety does not come easy to me :lol:

I'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve this and on my process overall.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Jockinireland wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:14 pm I'm reasonably happy with it as my first ever NB,

Yeah, i would be happy with that too!

Your colours are nice and bright and the darks are moody.

Regards

Graeme

andrewsscope Great Britain
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by andrewsscope »

Hi all I used all the narrowband images and combined in Adobe cs2,used curves to bring out the detail.I then used a lasso tool on part of the image and used saturation at 45 percent on a couple of points on the image to enhance the colour.I also used Affinity to sharpen the image by creating a few layers and merging.This is what I finished up with after about 1 hours work.
newtrial7.jpg
Andy
Telescopes :Skywatcher 80ed,Skywatcher 200p,Altair astro 60mm guidescope
Cameras: Canon 550d,Altair gp cam mono,gp cam 290c
Tripod: Eq5
andrewsscope Great Britain
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by andrewsscope »

Hi all this is my second attempt using my lasso tool in adobe cs2.
newtrial9.jpg
Andy
Telescopes :Skywatcher 80ed,Skywatcher 200p,Altair astro 60mm guidescope
Cameras: Canon 550d,Altair gp cam mono,gp cam 290c
Tripod: Eq5
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

carastro wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:46 am Here is a link to my relevant web site page giving you all the links:
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleast ... -tutorials

Just watched your tutorial on layers Carole (sorry I've been spelling your name wrong! :)) I feel another attempt coming on with the RGB layer posted over the top of the composed NB layer as a luminosity layer.

Thanks

Regards

Graeme

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

OK, so here is my second effort to try and make it a bit less dramatic than my post at #34 above.

For this one I made a starless image with Starnet++ then brought the starred version back in as layer set to lighten and adjusted the stars with curves to get what I wanted.

I'm not sure which I prefer - the difference is quite subtle and I think this one is easier on the eye.
cara redone on starless .jpg
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I'm just a spectator, I wouldn't know where to start!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite

Return to “AP Processing Challenge”