Surplus Shed objectives.

Discuss making your own telescope!
PalomarJack
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Surplus Shed objectives.

Post by PalomarJack »

Any one try the larger objectives, 127mm for example, found at Surplus Shed? I want to build a 5" refractor some day using one.
I'm here to do two things, build something and dump some light down it.

8" f/6 Newtonian on a German equatorial mount, all DIY.
DIY 90mm f/10 refractor on old medium duty Edmund Scientific German equatorial mount.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Surplus Shed objectives.

Post by JayTee »

A couple of forum folk have used this business for a refractor DIY project. Just remember to get a lens that says achromat (as opposed to just a single lens) and it is still hit or miss whether it is a quality lens or not.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The 127mm Wollensak lens sets they sell are reported to be quite good and I have read many favorable reports over the years about them.
For the price I would think it would make a great project refractor with a good lens.

I forgot to mention, one thing that seems to be common with some of these 127mm is the lens sets may not be set properly.
Some people have reported that one or both lens are flipped but easy enough to fix yourself.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
PalomarJack
Earth Ambassador

Post by PalomarJack »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:14 am The 127mm Wollensak lens sets they sell are reported to be quite good and I have read many favorable reports over the years about them.
For the price I would think it would make a great project refractor with a good lens.

I forgot to mention, one thing that seems to be common with some of these 127mm is the lens sets may not be set properly.
Some people have reported that one or both lens are flipped but easy enough to fix yourself.
Ah yes. Had the same problem with the 90mm from them, the crown was flipped. They also used tiny bits of plastic tape for the air space. I was not thrilled with the performance, so I replaced them with .006" aluminium shims. It took some experimenting with different thicknesses, but I got the chromatic and spherical aberrations down to a reasonable level. May not be a Unitron, but it easily reaches Dawes limit. And for $49 US on sale for the primary, it makes an excellent travel scope.

Thank you for the information, sounds like I may go through with it. It's eather a bigger newtonian, and mount, or a 5' refractor that will fit on the Edmund Scientific mount the 90mm is sitting on. It depends whether I put up an observatory or not, or not.

DIY 90mm f/10 refractor on old medium duty Edmund Scientific German equatorial mount.
PalomarJack
Earth Ambassador

Post by PalomarJack »

JayTee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:47 am A couple of forum folk have used this business for a refractor DIY project. Just remember to get a lens that says achromat (as opposed to just a single lens) and it is still hit or miss whether it is a quality lens or not.

Cheers,
JT
But of course, unless I go extreme retro and build a very, very long simple refractor. I have a big yard, but I think I will leave my amateur radio antennas up, instead.

Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

I have built both of the 127mm's. The long focus in 2012 when the lens cell had the collimatable parts. Think it was the best mid f/# achro ever. I could go to 280x on the planets with the Antares 4.3mm W70 eyepiece. Over 300x it would color out the planets.

The 127 short was a recent one with no collimation rings. Glued wood rings to tube and cell with silicone to make a fast and easy collimation cell. It was the usual short achro performance with a maximum usuable power of around 180x. Made a good grab'n'go.
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.