TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Jupiter June 14th Animation with IO and Europa with shadow

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

Here is an Animation I took the other night of Jupiter with IO peeking out from the back and Europa's shadow transiting as well as itself. Using Firecapture I took 176 (60sec) captures each with about 12,200 frames per capture and used 5% in AutoStackert. It totals up to about 3 hours. So about 2,150,000 individual frames were used and about 500gb's of Data. (I had fun processing) :)

The seeing was pretty decent 3/5 and was tempted to break out the barlow but played it safe incase the skies turned and wanted to make sure I got some detail.

After Autostakert I took each Tiff file and used a script in Photoshop with an New Action of a small "S Curv in curves" to bring it out a little. (The action was put on every frame to make it even) PhotoshopCC does this automatically if you go to FIle/Scripts/Image Process. And then converted each file to JPEG with Max compression, then off to PIPP for the Giff Animation.

I wish I could of went longer to get the GRS more in the center but it got light out and went over a house.

Celestron C-11
ZWO 385MC with Baader M & Sky Glow
ZWI ADC
Skywatcher EQ6-R
RIGEL Nstep focuser

Anyway thanks for looking :)

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Jupiter June 14th Animation with IO and Europa with shadow

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Now that's cool. I wonder why I haven't seen this post before? Thanks for sharing.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Awsome animation, that's alot of stacks!
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

I automated the captures in FireCapture to 60 seconds and just let it run for the 176 minutes. The stacks took a while to process and did it in three separate 2-3 hour sessions. The easiest part was in Photoshop with creating an Action to do the same exact processing techniques to every frame. It was all Automated in one batch, Thank the Lord. But processing took the longest.

I was planning on doing another animation for the 21st but that is when my mount DEC thing happened.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SirTalllPaul
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SirTalllPaul »

Great animation.
:telescopewink: :Astronomer1:

Telescope newbie.
Skywacther 8"
Up is down and down is up. I never have inverted controls on in games, damn you telescope.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188431606@N04/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Very good!
Seldom seen an animation which lasted for so long, over such a long period of time and went so smoothly! And nicely detailed on top!
Compliments!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

How did you run capture for 3 hours and not have to refocus on such a big mirror, where I am the temps drop all night long and going down 1/2 deg can cause the focus to go out.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Wow, that is insane!! So smooth in the animation; I can't believe the amount of frames! :lol:
Love the detail, thanks for sharing!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:07 am How did you run capture for 3 hours and not have to refocus on such a big mirror, where I am the temps drop all night long and going down 1/2 deg can cause the focus to go out.
Thanks all :)

Hey Rob,

I am using the RIGEL NStep USB auto focus system. And it allowed me to easily adjust little incriments and also a tip from JT was to adjust focusing during a run. My Laptop screen sucks and has that color variation at different angles and hard to make out planet detils, So I bought a 22" LED Monitor for $80 and housed it on top of my laptop and use a wireless keyboard and mouse All of this fits inside a Box I made to keep dew out. I see the planet much better now since it is bigger, so when I noticed it was not as it should be I hit the RIGEL Nstep buttons to correct in both directions during the 60 seconds until it looked right. Also after every 30 min or so I would stop the Auto run and quickly refocus more (by Zooming in) with the RIGEL Nstep so only 10-15 sec would go by.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Quality animation with lovely detail, impressive.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447