New Home for my Pier

Discuss your home observatory!
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

New Home for my Pier

Post by OhNo »

Thursday I found a Used SkyShed within driving distance 550 km one way. The seller took some additional pics and sent 'em to me, I reviewed them and called him back. It is in great shape....

Friday I dawned my ole truck drivin' hat and headed off. Twelve hours later I am back home with a trailer full of stuff. Pondered the support structure Saturday morning, went lumber shopping in the afternoon. Sunday Started out with a 2" drenching of liquid gold (to a farmer anyway). Worked on the floor Sunday afternoon in the shop. Hauled it over and placed it over the pier in the Evening.

Today the floor anchoring and decking was completed. Setting the dome up was the easiest part.... :shock: It all fit together great. The previous owner didn't take the dome halves apart which saved a bunch of time and work.

I should get a care package from the farmers around me. This purchase got use 2 1/2" of rain, they owe me! :lol: It hasn't been exactly wet here this year....

The sealing deck treatment will have to wait for stuff to dry. But it is together!
20200629_203913[1].jpg
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
SirTalllPaul
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New Home for my Pier

Post by SirTalllPaul »

Looks awesome :D
:telescopewink: :Astronomer1:

Telescope newbie.
Skywacther 8"
Up is down and down is up. I never have inverted controls on in games, damn you telescope.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188431606@N04/
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Noice noice noice!!!🙂
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Very nice! I envy your horizon!
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Thanks Kathy, that was one reason for not burying my mount below the top of the wall. While little AP should be attempted below 30 degrees, the rare occasion I need to get down in the dirt.....

Will be working on a convertor I salvaged out of an old camper. It will convert 120VAC to 12VDC. Still need 120V for the 'puter. Been eyeballing the ASIAir Pro, but there are none to be had at this time. If I do go the ASIAir route I will have to swap out my ASI120MM to a ASI120MM Mini. Don't know why the standard 120MM Won't work with the AIR
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

That looks wonderful. I'm afraid I'm a bit jealous. Thanks for sharing this image.

Cheers,
JT

Ps, Just wondering if the folks on "Corner Gas" can see your observatory? I loved that show. jt
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Rouleau Sk. is about 280 km as the crow flies from my place. I didn't like the show!!!!! Gave the impression that Sk. people are simple and lousy at comedy!
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

That looks great. Let's see the inside when you're finished.
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

Very nice. I use my scope so much more having it in my dome.
Scope:Celestron: C8 Owned since 1976, Celestron EdgeHD 14 Mount: CGEM DX, CGX-L, Ioptron CEM120EC
EP: Tele Vue 8mm Delos, Tele Vue Ethos 21mm Tele Vue 2x Barlow, Tele-Vue 2x power mate, Tele-Vue Apollo 11 Commemorative, Celestron K12,25,40.
Camera:Canon EOS 600d Home Dome 10'
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

This set-up will save me at least 20-25 minutes per session, and minimize the risks of taking the scope off in the wee hours of the morning. One concern is heat and humidity with the dome closed in the day time.
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Great looking structure.
Hope that you have many great observing session using it.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

The interior floor is panted (Black) now. Got to use it for the first time last night. Shot NGC7380 for 3.5 hours without having to move the dome. The Dome blocked the moonlight on the scope. Looking at the data it appears that this might help on those moonlit nights (assuming I'm choosing targets in the proper orientation to the moon).

I started using the pod facing North. This get my computer closest proximity to my WIFi. Having the counterweight shaft that close when Parked was un-nerving. Cable routing was also an issue. So I moved the computer (just on a TV tray at this time) to the pod facing SW. My other option is SE, but old habits die hard. The door is on the NE which makes me duck a little longer so not to interfere with imaging to the NE. BUT, I had to consider the weather elements at my location, this is the best forr my location.

Today is crib axe carpenter day again, I am no finish carpenter but I hope the laptop shelf construction will go alright! I tend to overbuild things, I don't need my computer falling on the floor, or hanging from the cables ruining my shot!!!! I should add, once everything is fired up I run the show remotely. You'd be surprised how quick an old dog can scurry the 35 yards to remedy an issue!!!!! :lol:

At the time of writing this I haven't drilled any new holes anywhere. Sitting here I am re-thinking my shelf plan. I have spoken for an ASIAir (extreme backorder issue due to covid). If I like it, there won't be a need for a computer shelf. Space is limited in this observatory, and I dislike dividing space with semi-permanent structure. Wonder how long it would take the wife to notice if I relocated a nightstand??? :D
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

KathyNS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 pm Very nice! I envy your horizon!
Geez, me too! Just got back from some corn fields a few days ago. Unfortunately (?) a few old growth trees where I was at, but mainly like this:
Road baby edit.jpg
Can't wait to go back.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Yup the ability to watch your dog run away for three days does have advantages. One disadvantage is in sparsely populated areas you'd be wise to come to terms with the fact that in a life threatening emergency you're probably going to die! Emergency response is minimal as compared to urban areas.....

LOL On that note I am at the stage of life when afterthoughts are common. I've known for years that what you do when you're young will catch up with you later. Had I known I was gonna live this long I'd of taken better care of myself!!!!! Naaa, what fun would that of been!!! :lol:
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I have had the chance to use the Observatory for a couple sessions now. I have to admit it is feels tight in there. I had better explain! The pier is offset to the South 8" as suggested by the manufacturer. It has ample room to slew to every usable angle for imaging. But here is the "But", If I have to go out to tinker with the computer, getting from the door (NE) to the pod the computer is set up in (SW) and your shooting lower to the East, a few contortion moves are in order.

Like my first walk-in to our new home, empty looks enormous, and the stuff us humans want in there subtracts from the apparent space very quickly. I can move around in there but keeping away from the scope, Counterweight shaft, and cords will take forethought. Especially in the dark!!!! I could have set it up differently as in putting the door on the SW and the pod I use for the computer to the West, but Winter (7 month season here) had me configure the walls the way I did. Also, it is user friendly to the shortest trip back to my house! Again pitch black here a lot of the time.

The Observatory does save the monotonous task of setting up. balancing the scope, and the tear down. Having my red headlamp and using it for the trip to and from the scope location won't change. Before I got this building and was set up outside, I only had to keep in mind that I couldn't shoot to the West (where my little Motorhome was keeping my computer and scope (when not set on the pier).

Here of some shots of where I'm at today. I am seriously pondering a ASIAir to do away with the computer and a few of the wires. The 120V electric will be upgraded soon.

From the NE
20200704_105726.jpg
NE looking in
20200704_105740.jpg
W Looking in
20200704_105756.jpg
From the North
20200704_110014.jpg
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Since the pictures above were taken I did one more thing, I mounted the Zenith Table. I have no intentions of using it, but if it was stored it would likely get ruined or adapted to another use!!!!

At supper time it got it's first West Central test. 1 inch of rain coming in horizontal driven by a 49-50 mph breeze. I had to go see how much water ended up inside. A Bartender would be lookin' for something to fill the remainder of space in second shot glass! I'm surprisingly pleased! :P