My binos, me and M33...

Let's see your reports!
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

My binos, me and M33...

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Tonight I left work an hour later than the night before. So when I came home and went target hunting, everything in the sky was in a bit of a different location than previously observed. Because I am tired, and this will be the last clear, moonless night for a while, my goal is simple - M33 the Triangulum Galaxy.

I went straight to M31, then star hopped down to Mirach. I also located the constellation Triangulum, and used the star Metallah to hop again. From Metallah, I moved up in declination and east, about the diameter of my binos lenses. So with Metallah on one side of my lenses, I believe the point directly across was HR485. Repeating that process, I used HR 485 on one side and moved east and upward again. There - at this point - I feel confident that I found M33, the Triangulum Galaxy.

It was very, very faint. It looked to me like a sparse cluster of stars. There appeared to be some fine granularity there, as if someone took a small pinch of salt and plopped it on the table. Umm, I mean sky. The time was 2:28 a.m. Twenty-eight minutes after starting the session. Not bad I guess.

After this, I went to the southwest. I traversed my property, and marvelled at a cop car that has sped by here twice in the last few minutes, unless it is two different patrol cars. Who knows. Anyway, I looked at Jupiter, and noticed the pattern of moons to look like this (° = a moon, ○= Jupiter):

° ° ° ○ °

I could not be certain if I saw 3 or 4 moons, it was way difficult holding steady. I wrote this without checking, because I want to see if I saw it like this pattern I drew.

Well, that is likely going to be it for a while. The moon is waxing gibbous tomorrow, and the weather is turning more cloudy going forward.

Again, thanks for reading, and your support.
Last edited by Buckethead 2.0 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: My binos, me and M33...

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Calsky will give you a good map of where the moons are situated over many hours if wanted.
Congratulations with the views :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Well done on the M33! Averted vision helps.

You might like this:

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/ ... piter.html

Regards

Graeme

Edit, Gabby's link is good too!
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:20 am Well done on the M33! Averted vision helps.

You might like this:

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/ ... piter.html

Regards

Graeme

Edit, Gabby's link is good too!
Thanks. I know, she gave me that link in the recent past. I just am tired, and hadn't bothered looking it up yet. I wanted to post before checking, to see if I was correct.

Thank you for your link too, Graeme. According to that site, and entering the local time of 2:40 a.m., which is approximately the time it was, I have these results. Just like my drawing. I win a chicken dinner! :lol:
Screenshot_20200621-042400_Chrome.jpg
~Eric
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Congratulations on the chicken dinner!

Just found this on Gabby's Calsky link, visible from my location, might be worth a look:
Capture.PNG
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:48 am Congratulations on the chicken dinner!

Just found this on Gabby's Calsky link, visible from my location, might be worth a look:

Capture.PNG
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Starlink satellites! Right before I came into the house, I saw.....it had to be 75 satellites! I couldn't count fast enough. It literally looked like WWII bomber tracers! Sad, actually.

I had seen the ISS very recently, I think it was in May. Plus I saw it back in 2016.
~Eric
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Nice pick up of M33 Eric!

This was one of the first galaxies observed when I got back into astronomy in 2010. Back then, all my observations were done away from home in darker skies. Even though I was working "only" from a red zone, it was on an elevated hill overlooking the city and the skies got darker after midnight, so I could see M33 really well even with a 100mm Newt at 20x - 40x. Even the HII region within M33 (NGC 604) was visible as a fuzzy inside the galaxy.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congrats on M33 and the Jovian moons!
Under my LP skies M33 is always a pain in the... bino or telescope. Seldom I saw it as well as you did. Well done!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Great catch Eric!

You succeeded where I gave up!

M33 sure does image well though!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice on M33. There’s a wealth of internal detail in it, the granulated texture you noted is due to large nebulae and clusters. Many of those grains have their own NGC or IC numbers. (Another fun project!)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Thanks everyone! And nFA, I appreciate the details that you added, because it explains the "graininess" I experienced. It took 28 minutes for my eyes to adjust, which until that time, I could not see a thing. I verified by using the FOV provided, and from looking in my charts, I am content that I did indeed find the Triangulum. I refuse to call it the Pinwheel, as I think M101 is more deserving to have that name between the two.

And Jim (Juno16), I was soooo determined, because this was my best shot for who knows who long. In my last report, I mention a streetlight and the "neighbors' porch beacon". Actually there are two streetlights also nearby contributing to the malicious ambience. :lol: Then when the moon heads toward full, you can see why I was determined to find it. Fortunately the moon is at New, and I did not worry where it was in the sky. It was very dark for this area. I did not want to waste time worrying about anything except finding that target. :D
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

I will also add, that on both nights I saw many, many doubles. I am thinking I will do a night of just doubles soon. They are pretty fun. I also love the occasional red dwarf, but I haven'y seen any really red stars since April or May.
~Eric
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Eric, you have really surprised me :eek:

I got the impression from previous chats we'd had that you were a relative novice in astronomy.

Now you are talking like an expert and getting such wonderful sightings. You are really a dark horse, I'm impressed (and all done with binoculars.) :clap:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:23 pm Eric, you have really surprised me :eek:

I got the impression from previous chats we'd had that you were a relative novice in astronomy.

Now you are talking like an expert and getting such wonderful sightings. You are really a dark horse, I'm impressed (and all done with binoculars.) :clap:
Here is the shortest possible backstory. I started in 2016, with a Meade 50mm refractor. Went to a Celestron Bird-Jones design (do NOT buy one, not good imo. Oh and, Celestron is fine. The BJ design, don't do it). Eventually, I bought a 10" Orion Skyquest Dob mounted reflector. Awesome views! But I am 6'0" , and that sucker came up to my nose when pointed near zenith. It required almost laying on the ground to view at zenith. :lol:

Anyway, I learned so much from many people here, when we all were at AF.net. (Astronomyforum.net). Since then, evil bot farms have totally Vandalized the place, like the Vandals did to Rome. But I had observed about 10-12 Messier objects. I learned a lot of terminology, etc, again from help from many here over there and now here at TSS.

So much for the short backstory.... I call myself an "advanced newb/beginning intermediate" sort of. :lol:
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Oh Vanessa, I left out a part. Divorce, personal issues, etc. led me to decide and get rid of all my equipment at the time. I kept my observing chair and all astronomy books. It was if I knew I wasn't quitting astronomy, only hitting the pause button. Unfortunately, the cost to replace all that will be....astronomical (pun intended). But as you can see, with my Irish blood, I am determined as much as stubborn. :lol:
~Eric
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I think if you've got the know-how Eric then you can achieve many things in life with sheer will-power alone.

Although you've had to sacrifice a lot of your most precious astronomical equipment through circumstances beyond your control, you have still been able to pursue your hobby on a limited scale. Good on you for your endurance. You should be an example to others as to what can be achieved if you have the motivation to do so.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

@Bucket - Do you know what approx. Bortle zone you're in? I've had zero luck on M33 from home, but I'm in B7 or B8, depending on what you reference.

Going to possibly be at a darker site later this week, so I might give it a try if the weather cooperates and I have time to set up a scope there.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good for you Eric! M33; that's a target that's elusive from here, especially with the weather lately. Nicely done, especially with bino's :D Jupiter as well, at least you got to see all the viewable-from-here Moons.By the time my bladder woke me there were only three Moons visible...
And another one, M33, for your Messier list as well!

Happy fathers day and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:54 pm I think if you've got the know-how Eric then you can achieve many things in life with sheer will-power alone.

Although you've had to sacrifice a lot of your most precious astronomical equipment through circumstances beyond your control, you have still been able to pursue your hobby on a limited scale. Good on you for your endurance. You should be an example to others as to what can be achieved if you have the motivation to do so.
Thank you for the nice words, Vanessa.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:08 pm @Bucket - Do you know what approx. Bortle zone you're in? I've had zero luck on M33 from home, but I'm in B7 or B8, depending on what you reference.

Going to possibly be at a darker site later this week, so I might give it a try if the weather cooperates and I have time to set up a scope there.
I am unequivocally and most assuredly in an Orange zone. But as I understand it, that is a reference only. Some people can do well in a red, better sometimes than someone in an orange, due to seeing, turbulance in the air, et al in addition to the initial LP issues.

That said, I am orange as an orange. :lol:

Good luck pakarinen !
~Eric