Coronado PST

Discuss solar related topics.
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Coronado PST

Post by LDW47 »

I have been looking at solar viewing for a while now, I finally bought a Coronado PST last week ! So now are there any helpful tips, pointers if you will, that I should know about this section of this great hobby ? I also just ordered 2 books, Solar Astronomy Handbook and Solar Observers Handbook ( A Guide to Beguinners ) which is from the Royal Astronomical Society here in Canada. Any info and advice would be appreciated ! Clear advisable skize !
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Coronado PST

Post by Ylem »

I have been looking to buy one of those also :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

I bought mine from B&H for $549 + free ship to Canada ! Clear great skize !
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I would suggest buying a zoom lens. It is relatively inexpensive. I got a Celestron 9mm-23mm (I think) it makes it a bit easier to use the scope. I don't have any low power 1.25 inch lenses (I use 2" 40,30,and 9mm in my main scope). I really enjoy the zoom on the PST.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Can you really see much with it?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I always view in white light, being able to see the Corona would be cool. I got the impression the PST was a bit limited. I would be keen to see some images :idea:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:41 pm I would suggest buying a zoom lens. It is relatively inexpensive. I got a Celestron 9mm-23mm (I think) it makes it a bit easier to use the scope. I don't have any low power 1.25 inch lenses (I use 2" 40,30,and 9mm in my main scope). I really enjoy the zoom on the PST.
I have the older Meade zoom, plus all kinds of eps !
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Greenman wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm I always view in white light, being able to see the Corona would be cool. I got the impression the PST was a bit limited. I would be keen to see some images :idea:
Maybe some one else can fill you in on a comparison between the PST and white lite !
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

LDW47 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm I always view in white light, being able to see the Corona would be cool. I got the impression the PST was a bit limited. I would be keen to see some images :idea:
Maybe some one else can fill you in on a comparison between the PST and white lite !
No, sorry I was not clear enough, it was a comparison from the PST and it's larger brother the 0.5a one. There's a big difference in price, I would not be able to qualify £1600, over the PST at around £600. All I would like to see is some images from the hands of another amateur. I'm wary of promo images.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

There are many images in the old forum. look for the earliest dates.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Congratulations on your new purchase , and that was a great price especially if it was Can $ The PST is an excellent entry level Ha solar scope and the view will be very similar to the ad images . Imaging is possible but it is better suited for viewing . Although an entry level scope there are reputable and safe modifications that can be done to a PST to enhance it's performance and make it more imaging friendly . I must add here to never attempt ANY type of change or mod to your scope unless you are 100% sure that what you are doing is proven to be safe . For now just enjoy the view , the show is about to begin !
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Solsearcher wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:38 am Congratulations on your new purchase , and that was a great price especially if it was Can $ The PST is an excellent entry level Ha solar scope and the view will be very similar to the ad images . Imaging is possible but it is better suited for viewing . Although an entry level scope there are reputable and safe modifications that can be done to a PST to enhance it's performance and make it more imaging friendly . I must add here to never attempt ANY type of change or mod to your scope unless you are 100% sure that what you are doing is proven to be safe . For now just enjoy the view , the show is about to begin !
I got the scope on Tues.and its been cloudy ever since, lol ! Tomorrow is the day, I think !
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Congratulations on the purchase of the PST.
I enjoyed using mine quite a bit.

The most used eyepieces for me were a Vixen LV 10mm and Vixen zoom as well as a 2x barlow occasionally.
Some very nice Ha views and I had it mounted on my C6-R using a 50mm finder bracket so I could view Ha and white light with the Herschel wedge.

You will find the views more red than orange though.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I was able to catch the Mercury transit last spring on the PST. I've seen Ellerman bombs, flares, and sunspots. It does a pretty good job for such a small aperture refractor. It is my most expensive scope (not counting any of the mounts).

Oh, yeah - and very much RED! Like a meatball. It is somewhat tricky to get your eyeball in the proper position to see the sun. I've had many people struggle with it and some - kids especially - give up.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

I tried my PST this pm for the first go and it performed great and by luck or ..... there were a steady flow of prominences at about the 10 o'clock position mainly. I am not a finder scope guy, I don’t use them but I am impressed with the way the PST’s works and how easy it is to use, it doesn’t take much trying. My Russell Optics 15mm Konig worked excellent as well as the 18mm Coronado that came with it.
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

The next big ? is, should I be looking / considering in the future a white light filter to compliment the ha ? If so wood 80-100mm be a suitable size and what is considered a good brand ?
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Most W/L filters mount to the front of your scope and the mounting will be aperture specific . My preference is a Herschel wedge , they can be used in pretty well any refractor . their limitations are that they can not be used in reflectors
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Solsearcher wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:37 am Most W/L filters mount to the front of your scope and the mounting will be aperture specific . My preference is a Herschel wedge , they can be used in pretty well any refractor . their limitations are that they can not be used in reflectors
I have 8 refractors of various sizes but I would like to use it in either my 80mm Equinox, f 6.25 or my 102mm Antares, f 6.4 or I might buy one for each as my 102 stays at my remote camp. I have a 150mm dob at my camp but I won’t use it for solar. Other than versatility what other advantages does the Herschel have ?
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

It is small enough to fit into your pocket and it would be able to be used in any of your refractors . Also available in a 2" model

https://www.astronomics.com/lunt-1-25-s ... ctors.html
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I use a Herschel wedge for white light solar since IMO it gives better image contrast.

With the wedge I also use a Baader solar continuum filter and a variable polarizing filter as a "dimmer switch". Both behind the wedge in the optical path.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5