Post your DSO images here.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

M13 From Last Nght

Post by Juno16 »

I surely needed to get out last night and I had a great time trying out my new Stellarview field flattened/0.80 focal reducer. I anticipated some issues with plate solving and/or focus and had none.

Guiding was good at an average 1.1 arcsec total rms error in PHD2 (good for me).

Shot 240 second lights with my Ha modded D5300 at iso 400 with an IDAS LPD-D1 filter (about three hours total integration).

I am happy with the image. Definitely pleasant enough and possibly on the bluish side, but a big improvement over my first time imaging M13.
67617674-49C3-42AA-9469-91C1A6B7957F.jpeg
There are some things with the image I would like to improve on next time and hopefully some of you experienced imagers might be able to help with some suggestions.

First off, I somewhat blew out the core. Apparently, 240 seconds at iso 400 is too much exposure. The histogram peaks in APT were in the first and second sectors from the left which are below recommendations in the APT manual. Perhaps 120 second lights?

The other thing is that some of the stars in the corners are slightly non- homogeneous in color. I did check the camera and there is a significant amount of flexure at the t-ring possibly causing the camera sensor not being perfectly perpendicular to the imaging train. Possibly a contributor to the corner star color?

I will tell you though, that this is the flattest image that this rig has ever produced by far! I feel like the FF is doing a great job. When I compared these light frames to light frames in other sessions (with no FF/FR), the corner stars are beautifully round and don’t look like flaring comets as before!

If you have any suggestions please comment and thanks for looking!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M13 From Last Nght

Post by bobharmony »

Jim - I like the color you have pulled out and you got a long way into the core from what I see. Some people treat globs as HDR images using shorter subs to bring out the core details and longer ones to get at all the faint outer details.

The color fringing looks a little more pronounced to me on the left side of the image than the right. Maybe that is an indicator of some tilt, as you suspect?

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

That's a great one Jim!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Bob and I appreciate your comments/observations.

Yes, I took this target too lightly and an easy catch, but didn’t anticipate the brightness of the core. Sure does sound like an hdr approach. I will try that next time.

I just dug around in my box of “junk” and found another t-ring. It fits much tighter on the camera and has far less flex than the t-ring that I used last night. Thanks for your thoughts that this could be the cause of the corner star color issue.

I really appreciate your thoughts sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great capture Jim, I bet it felt good to get out there under the stars. The frame looks very flat, good job on choosing the right equipment!
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
jerrysykes United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jerrysykes »

Very Nice, Jim!
Telescopes: Skywatcher120pro ED, Skywatcher80pro ED, Meade 8inch SCT, Orion ST80
Mounts: CGEM, AVX
Cameras: Atik 383 color, ZWO 224mc, Canon t5i,
Autoguider: Orion SSAG
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a great M13 Jim.

The star colours are really nice. I always like that star colour difference of the two nearby stars. I'm not sure it's overexposed, the core is very dense.

And you caught the propeller very well too!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Nice shot Jim, expanding it out the core looks very reasonable to me.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Nice capture Jim! Great star colors. That FF/FR is working nicely for you.
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Very nice capture :)
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:45 pm Great capture Jim, I bet it felt good to get out there under the stars. The frame looks very flat, good job on choosing the right equipment!
It sure did! Unfortunately, it was near 80F and the mosquitoes were pretty active.
After starting the session, I only went out to check for cable snags and watch the flip.
That ASI EAF is great! Running a focus routine within the imaging fov from inside is super!

I was really happy with the flatness of the field. BTW, removing one of the three 2” focus extensions and dropping in the FF/FR was almost in perfect focus (+/- a few mm on the focuser). Looks like I now have a F5.6 at 571mm scope! Some day, I will probably buy the Stellarview field flattener to get the 714mm back for smaller targets.

Thanks Steve!

jerrysykes wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:57 pm Very Nice, Jim!

Thanks Jerry!

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 pm That's a great M13 Jim.

The star colours are really nice. I always like that star colour difference of the two nearby stars. I'm not sure it's overexposed, the core is very dense.

Regards

Graeme

What is the propeller? Is that NGC 6207?

I saw another much smaller galaxy closer to M13 and looked it up in SkySafari. It is IC4617 at +15 magnitude and a distance of 503 mly!!! Wow! That probably the furthest galaxy I’ve captured.

Greenman wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:14 pm Nice shot Jim, expanding it out the core looks very reasonable to me.
Thank you a bunch! I appreciate your nice words!

ic_1101 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm Nice capture Jim! Great star colors. That FF/FR is working nicely for you.

Thanks Alex!

The image really looks cool on my iPad in a dark room. Like a porthole into space!

Dragonsfire wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm Very nice capture :)

Thank you!
Jim

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:48 pm
Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 pm That's a great M13 Jim.

What is the propeller? Is that NGC 6207?

I saw another much smaller galaxy closer to M13 and looked it up in SkySafari. It is IC4617 at +15 magnitude and a distance of 503 mly!!! Wow! That probably the furthest galaxy I’ve captured.

Not sure what NGC6207 is. IC4617 is the faint galaxy in the background, which you also captured.

The propeller is a three spoked (it that a word?!) shape which sits off center in the core. Don't know what causes it! If you click on your image and then zoom in on the core you will see it. If nothing else it's a sign of a well defined image! If you don't see it straight away, then stare at the core for a while like those 3d pictures and it will come to you!

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (91.3 KiB) Viewed 2164 times

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

I love the colours in this one and the sundry tiny galaxies - beautiful.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

That's a beauty! Congrats
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kanadalainen wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:39 pm I love the colours in this one and the sundry tiny galaxies - beautiful.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I wanted a second try at this one and am happy with it. Looking forward to the next attempt. Hopefully I can control the core better.

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 pm That's a beauty! Congrats

I really appreciate it Henk. Thanks!
Jim

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

That’s a lovely M13. I don’t think you blew out the core at all. You have good detail all the way in to the centre.

You might want to try some sharpening, to lessen the blobbiness of those bright stars in the centre. You can enhance contrast there by very careful tweaking of the curves tool. Take your time to find the brightness level for that area, and then tweak only that level, in small increments. The data looks like it will support that kind of tweaking.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:48 pm That’s a lovely M13. I don’t think you blew out the core at all. You have good detail all the way in to the centre.

You might want to try some sharpening, to lessen the blobbiness of those bright stars in the centre. You can enhance contrast there by very careful tweaking of the curves tool. Take your time to find the brightness level for that area, and then tweak only that level, in small increments. The data looks like it will support that kind of tweaking.

Wow, thank you Kathy!

Your M13 image is phenomenal!

I have not done any sharpening at all. Just a basic process through Startools and saving the tiff as a jpeg in PS. I will certainly try the suggestions that you mention in Photoshop.

I really appreciate your comments about the core. I feel that the "sweet spot" for my system (and equipment) is 240 seconds at iso 400. The histogram was on the low side (less than 1/4) even considering the focal reducer drops the F ration from 7 to 5.6, so I wanted to somewhat control any clipping that might occur.

Thanks again for the very helpful tips!
Jim

starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Hey Jim,

Love the image. I've been trying with mixed results to get more data on this one. Been fighting smoke blowing up from Mexico. Let me know if you take a run at isolating the core. So far I've been imaging at 60sec with my 294mc. I've been thinking about trying 120 or 180s but like you am worried about blowing out core. This is such a pretty object and also seems to offer a good post processing learning opportunity.

--Steve
(PS - here's what I've got so far) - about 2 hours worth of 60 second subs.
Attachments
3NightsV2.png
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

starfield wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:19 pm Hey Jim,

Love the image. I've been trying with mixed results to get more data on this one. Been fighting smoke blowing up from Mexico. Let me know if you take a run at isolating the core. So far I've been imaging at 60sec with my 294mc. I've been thinking about trying 120 or 180s but like you am worried about blowing out core. This is such a pretty object and also seems to offer a good post processing learning opportunity.

--Steve
(PS - here's what I've got so far) - about 2 hours worth of 60 second subs.

Our images show a lot of resemblance! Your core is somewhat better controlled though. I remember when you posted that image. Very, very nice!

I am imaging for 240 seconds, though with a Ha modded dslr and through a IDAS LPS-D1 LP filter in Bortle 7 skies.

Got a busy weekend, but I am looking forward to trying out Kathy's processing recommendations. I just recently subscribed to PS and I am just beginning to learn. This will be a good learning exercise!

Thanks for the nice words!
Jim

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice capture Jim! I like the colors and details. You have even resolved the core in NGC 6207 "satellite" galaxy.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255