Can Astronomik Deep Sky RGB do Planatary good? or ???

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Can Astronomik Deep Sky RGB do Planatary good? or ???

Post by TheButcher »

I am not sure if I asked this before, but I was wondering if my Astronomik Deep-Sky RGB would be suitable for Planetary since it cuts a little bit more of the spectrum. And thinking I would not get full benefit from the colors?

If so any recommendations for planetary RGB 1.25"? Would the Astronimik LRGB regular filters due better or ZWo and such? ( I ultimately do plan in the near future to get a second EFW the 5 pos mini so I can leave my 8 POS EFW in place so my DSO image train in tact and not having to unscrew the train each time I switch to planetary.)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Can Astronomik Deep Sky RGB do Planatary good? or ???

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

I am pretty sure the differences are miniscule. I personally have a dedicated asi1385 for planetary use. Shoots video, You pick out the best say, 15% of a few thousand frames. Works very well. I leave my filter wheel for DSO objects.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

mbenjaminz28 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 am I am pretty sure the differences are miniscule. I personally have a dedicated asi1385 for planetary use. Shoots video, You pick out the best say, 15% of a few thousand frames. Works very well. I leave my filter wheel for DSO objects.
Thanks Ben,
I was kind of thinking that. I have been using the 385 for the past few years with my manual push Dob and it did great. This is my first year with on an EQ mount and a C11. I actually owned the 385mc 3 times and sold it twice lol. I sold it after the first year after the planets went down after fall to build up my DSO setup. Then re-bought another 385mc when I had more funds when the planets came back. Then sold it again when the planets went down in the fall again to support my new Mono setup and needed better guiding (so I sold it to get a 290mm (non mini for guiding) And planned on doing mono only for planets this year.

Then I had more scope funds left over and wanted a OSC again, so I bought the 178mc OSC for planets and want to get into EAA eventually. I liked it a lot, but was having difficulty with the F ratio's with my RC8 using a 1.5x Barlow with my skies and 40 Degree Latitude and was then I was planning on getting a C11 at that time and read that it 178 was only optimal up to F12 and that is why I was struggling with it. And I read that you need very good seeing to get F12 with it and its 2.4 pixels. So I sold that and just bought the 385mc again late spring to use with my new C11.

I guess I learned that the 385 does not want to leave me.

I still want to use the 290mm though for some mono planetary and just wanted to make sure that I wasn't blocking too much of the spectrum with teh Deep-Sky RGB Astronomiks.

Thanks again,
:)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

Lol, what a trip! Zwo must love you! I really doubt there's much of a difference in bandwidth of all the different RGB filters out there in the market. I think the biggest factor is that some are better at hiding halos on a few bright stars. Alnitak is one of the biggest offenders in that regard. For planetary use I bet pretty much any name brand set is fine. I have a set of Sbig brand LRGB in my STT-3200me filter wheel which I use for galaxies and they are just fine, I am pretty sure these are just rebranded Zwo filters. I use Astrodon LRGB in my Aluma694 because it's paired with my much wider field refractors so they will see bright stars much more often then my 12" Meade F8 sct that I pair my STT-3200 with.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2