LP survey

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

LP survey

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

My question is, how many of you have a dark site to retreat to? Are some of you observing in city light conditions only? If so, what are you using for equipment and how effective is it working for you?

My queries are based on the fact I have decided there is no way I can see much of anything in a usually orange Bortle zone condition and 10x50 binos.

The fault is not with my binos. I love them, but I am just wondering how you yourselves get around suburban or urban LP issues.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: LP survey

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Are you shaded from street and housing lights?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I manage, though the LP is worse now than it was in 2012, when I started up in the hobby again. Aperture is a bit helpful with fainter objects. In my Bortle 6/7 skies I was able to see M81 and M82 as well as NGC 4565 last night - three of my favorite galaxies. I couldn't see M51 because it was right at the zenith (the Bermuda triangle for Dobs as it is very hard to maneuver the scope).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 pm Are you shaded from street and housing lights?
Not in the least, Gabby. I need some sort of baffle.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

helicon wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:27 pm I manage, though the LP is worse now than it was in 2012, when I started up in the hobby again. Aperture is a bit helpful with fainter objects. In my Bortle 6/7 skies I was able to see M81 and M82 as well as NGC 4565 last night - three of my favorite galaxies. I couldn't see M51 because it was right at the zenith (the Bermuda triangle for Dobs as it is very hard to maneuver the scope).
Excellent Michael, thank you. Your reference helps me with my situation. I had the very same issues when I had my 10" Dob under very similar circumstances.
~Eric
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Some black tarping and PVC/ ABS plastic piping can be used to make light shields so you can become more ark adapted.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm Some black tarping and PVC/ ABS plastic piping can be used to make light shields so you can become more ark adapted.
I understand the materials you are speaking of, but I can't picture the construction. Do you have a link or picture? Is it like a pup tent?
~Eric
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm Some black tarping and PVC/ ABS plastic piping can be used to make light shields so you can become more ark adapted.
I understand the materials you are speaking of, but I can't picture the construction. Do you have a link or picture? Is it like a pup tent?
I sent a PM
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:20 pm
I sent a PM
Duly received :D
~Eric
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Where I live, I have found that observing after midnight which means after most folks have gone to bed and turned off a significant portion of their house lights, I typically get a half magnitude gain in my NELM.

It doesn't sound like much but it does help.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I'm in a yellow zone south east of Charlotte.

So, Charlotte's light dome is in the trees to my north.
My southern view is not too bad.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Check my gallery. I've modified the design. but it's a basic idea. And I use black shower curtains - very quiet and light weight.

Addendum: I painted all the PVC flat black.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

My club has a dark site and observatory about 35 mins south of here.
It's a first class place with a meeting room.

It's a bit darker than my yard, but I hate driving after dark.
But I will camp there :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

JayTee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 pm Where I live, I have found that observing after midnight which means after most folks have gone to bed and turned off a significant portion of their house lights, I typically get a half magnitude gain in my NELM.

Cheers,
JT
Now, how will I ever find my way home without your pizza beacon? :lol:

This d****** leaves his porch light on all night.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 am
JayTee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 pm Where I live, I have found that observing after midnight which means after most folks have gone to bed and turned off a significant portion of their house lights, I typically get a half magnitude gain in my NELM.

Cheers,
JT
Now, how will I ever find my way home without your pizza beacon? :lol:

This d****** leaves his porch light on all night.
To be clear, not you Jay. I meant the guy two houses down the street.
~Eric
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I am in the suburbs of London UK, Bortle 8 and it sucks. These days I don't do much in the way of observing, naked eye I can only see the most major stars.

I do imaging and find that narrowband works well for the "brighter" targets, so I take myself off to darker skies (Bortle 4) about an hours drive away where I can do so much more, on a regular basis, though with the coronavirus lockdown rules that currently isn't happening.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

carastro wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 am I am in the suburbs of London UK, Bortle 8 and it sucks. These days I don't do much in the way of observing, naked eye I can only see the most major stars.

I do imaging and find that narrowband works well for the "brighter" targets, so I take myself off to darker skies (Bortle 4) about an hours drive away where I can do so much more, on a regular basis, though with the coronavirus lockdown rules that currently isn't happening.

Carole
Thank you Carole. My older sister is named Carol. :D
~Eric
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm in a Bortle 8. I can see a few brighter galaxies, but most are a no go. Most bright nebulae are ok, but M78 isn't visible even with a filter.

My club has 2 dark sites. One is about 30 miles away but still takes an hour to get to b/c I have to take a lot of surface streets. The other is farther, but takes comparatively less time b/c I can take an Interstate most of the way. There's also a forest preserve about 45 minutes away that my club uses, but you have to call ahead to get permission to be there after dark, you're restricted to parking lots, etc. I haven't gone out there at night yet.

Most of my dark site observing has been at campgrounds or rental cabins in Wisconsin or northern Illlinois.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

carastro wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 am I am in the suburbs of London UK, Bortle 8 and it sucks. These days I don't do much in the way of observing, naked eye I can only see the most major stars.

Carole
I feel for you there Carol my Village is bortle 4, but my next door neighbour (and great pal) loves lights all over the place. Not worth loosing a friend over though. I’m lucky as the large Village green is beside my cottage, and if I go out into the middle of it there are few lights or obstructions. About 5 mile drive to something closer to 2/3. Still thinking of an LP filter for my canon, but I’m feeling a bit spoilt. :shhh:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I guess I am rather fortunate living 1/2 mile from the largest city in Eastern CT under Bortle 5 skies. I do a *lot* of AP from my driveway. Unfortunately, my neighbor's daughter works odd hours in a nursing home - so he installed a 24/7 light. I had convinced him to install a motion sensor - but it failed to find movement on the stairway, so now the light is always on. So when the scope is pointed to south (his house) I pick up more noise, but still I am able to capture decent images. I think it is an LED light so the spectrum it obliterates is very narrow - a vast improvement over his older incandescent light.
I still have the yahoo with 4 150 watt floodlights illuminating a sole car in the parking area down the street. But the scope is fortunately in the shadows so it doesn't seem affected by it. So I live with it, but I find that StarTools does a great job in getting rid of noise.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter