Who buys this stuff?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Who buys this stuff?

Post by Chich »

I'm thinking of getting a second Telrad and was poking around on line so decided to look on Amazon. $104.51 plus $64.92 shipping for a total of $169.43! Another dealer has it for $247.38, but that does include free shipping and it is the red/green version :roll:

Went to look at All-star telescope and it is $79.95 plus shipping. Certainly pays to shop around and support our brick and mortar dealers. TBH, even if the price was the same or even cheaper online I would likely still buy from a 'real' shop.

I have seen the same thing with some electronics. I was looking for an item that I knew was in the $30-$40 range yet found it on Amazon for ~$400 - and they had already sold a dozen or two.

Makes me wonder, who is buying at those prices?
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Who buys this stuff?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Well, not me.... :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Yeah, I don't get it.
It started with eBay, list something at an inflated price, if it sells have it drop shiped from Walmart etc.

Some folks just don't know their prices I guess, and assume Amazon, eBay and even Wally World has the best prices.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Even for less than crazy priced items, the Amazon price often compensates for the cost of Prime shipping, so an item listed at $50 plus $5 shipping somewhere will be $55 (or more) with "free" shipping on AMZ.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

I've asked myself this question too, Chich. As far as I can guess, the higher priced seller probably is a business partner with one or more much lower priced sellers, so that people say "dang! I better by that lower priced item right now!" Then they share profits. Like jacking and driving deer. And if someone buys the $15 toaster for $450, then bonus time, they again split the profits. It takes a devious mind like mine to think of twisted things like this. :lol:
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 am I've asked myself this question too, Chich. As far as I can guess, the higher priced seller probably is a business partner with one or more much lower priced sellers, so that people say "dang! I better by that lower priced item right now!" Then they share profits. Like jacking and driving deer. And if someone buys the $15 toaster for $450, then bonus time, they again split the profits. It takes a devious mind like mine to think of twisted things like this. :lol:
Yes, maybe, but if so, it's evidence that capitalism is dead. In a free market there is no price fixing, or collusion.

I'm only an amateur economist but I got paid for it in real life. :) You have to earn money for the kiddies with a degree in astrophysics. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:23 am
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 am I've asked myself this question too, Chich. As far as I can guess, the higher priced seller probably is a business partner with one or more much lower priced sellers, so that people say "dang! I better by that lower priced item right now!" Then they share profits. Like jacking and driving deer. And if someone buys the $15 toaster for $450, then bonus time, they again split the profits. It takes a devious mind like mine to think of twisted things like this. :lol:
Yes, maybe, but if so, it's evidence that capitalism is dead. In a free market there is no price fixing, or collusion.

I'm only an amateur economist but I got paid for it in real life. :) You have to earn money for the kiddies with a degree in astrophysics. ;)
Nice use of trigger words, Fritz. ;)
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Nice use of trigger words, Fritz. ;)
Not using "trigger words". Price fixing and collusion are illegal in proper free markets. I cite the classical definition of free market capitalism Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations (1776). Price fixing and collusion are anathema in free market capitalism just as much as insider trading. There are reasons why such schemes are outlawed in a well run economy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealth_of_Nations
KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Do yourselves a favour and google "price fixing and colluding South Africa".
While illegal it is still rife and not only the small businesses but big banks too!
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

KingClinton wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Do yourselves a favour and google "price fixing and colluding South Africa".
While illegal it is still rife and not only the small businesses but big banks too!
No doubt. It's still racketeering and not capitalism. The fact that it is become widespread is nothing to celebrate. :|