Autostar 497 keeps rebooting suddenly

Discuss Meade mounts.
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Autostar 497 keeps rebooting suddenly

Post by StarLord101 »

So I finished up my hypertune, and spent probably 20 mins slewing around every which way checking its performance without issues. As a result, I figured I would do a reset on the 497 hc before training drive and calibrating. It stayed powered without issue before, but now, since I hit reset, it beeps, flashes me the auto star version for a few seconds then shuts off fully for half a second before repeating the cycle endlessly. Same power supply, good connection as before. Thoughts?
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Various modified or 3d printed DIY enhancements or tweaks
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Autostar 497 keeps rebooting suddenly

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you have the programming micro sd card I would just reload it.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

StarLord101 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:40 am So I finished up my hypertune, and spent probably 20 mins slewing around every which way checking its performance without issues. As a result, I figured I would do a reset on the 497 hc before training drive and calibrating. It stayed powered without issue before, but now, since I hit reset, it beeps, flashes me the auto star version for a few seconds then shuts off fully for half a second before repeating the cycle endlessly. Same power supply, good connection as before. Thoughts?
I don't think the the reset you did have anything to do with the problem, but give us some information on the "hypertune" you did ? what does that entail ? The Autostar 497 cannot be updated with a micro SD card I think the Autostar III in the LS is done that way. I have experienced reboots like that and that were as a result of a bad Aux 12 Volt plug and connector. The 12 Volt Aux input plug is not made for frequent use and if it is what you use all the time, like me, it does wear out and results in reboots. I installed a more durable socket under the panel but before that I attached Velcro on the cable and scope to secure the plug. As the scope rotates tension will be placed on the plug and leads to a less than perfect connection.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:51 am
StarLord101 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:40 am So I finished up my hypertune, and spent probably 20 mins slewing around every which way checking its performance without issues. As a result, I figured I would do a reset on the 497 hc before training drive and calibrating. It stayed powered without issue before, but now, since I hit reset, it beeps, flashes me the auto star version for a few seconds then shuts off fully for half a second before repeating the cycle endlessly. Same power supply, good connection as before. Thoughts?
I don't think the the reset you did have anything to do with the problem, but give us some information on the "hypertune" you did ? what does that entail ? The Autostar 497 cannot be updated with a micro SD card I think the Autostar III in the LS is done that way. I have experienced reboots like that and that were as a result of a bad Aux 12 Volt plug and connector. The 12 Volt Aux input plug is not made for frequent use and if it is what you use all the time, like me, it does wear out and results in reboots. I installed a more durable socket under the panel but before that I attached Velcro on the cable and scope to secure the plug. As the scope rotates tension will be placed on the plug and leads to a less than perfect connection.
DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner above! So, it would stand to reason that the fact it keeps powering itself off must have something to do with power right? Well, this 12vdc power adapter has always worked perfectly with the mount, and I had literally just spent 20+ mins using it without a single blip or interruption. But for whatever reason, as SOON as I initiated the reset function (which I have also done before using the exact same adapter without issue), without any contact or shifting on the barrel connector, the reset problem started. Never ever happened before that point and had been rock solid moments before. I tried everything with the power, re-seating it, trying a different angle etc... issue persisted. But when I plugged in the old 8 x D cell battery pack just to try and see if the problem continued.....nope! Booted up perfectly normally. It seems like on astronomy forums, you are constantly being told it's your adapter/power power power etc... lol. Hell, People would probably blame coronavirus and Hitler on a dc adapter if given the chance :D 8-) But in this case, it was inexplicably absolutely correct :) I just can't get over the fact that it was perfectly fine UNTIL the software reset :violin:
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

It may not be the adapter, it might be the actual socket on the mount itself. I had to replace the one on my CG-5 as well. I wound a small section around the Az adjustment bolt as a strain relief to keep it from pulling. That worked.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Something else to consider : If any cable flexes the wires inside will eventually degrade and develop resistance, sometime it takes a few hundred movements, sometimes a few thousand but the end result is always the same. So from time to time one should replace the cable or at lease remove the part that flexes.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

My apologies, I could have sworn I posted a resolution to this thread. I wrote it all out and hit submit a few days ago, and yet, no such luck. So....it seems like power supplies are the scapegoat and cause of every issue on various forums. I wouldn't be surprised to see dirty wall warts/ac adapters being blamed for the plague, rainy days and mosquitoes lol. It's the go to reply if you have a problem with a go to mount. This particular adapter had been used with this mount for hours and hours without issue, not so much as a blip, and it stayed plugged in, so not wear and tear. In fact, it was powering the mount, rock solid without any symptoms or loss of power for about 30 mins before I triggered the reset. But literally as soon as I reset, this issue with the beep...welcome to autostar version blah blah blah....then loss of power for 1 second before starting the cycle again started happening. I tried to boot in safe mode, I tried reseating the adapter barrel and using a different plug, different angles etc... No change. Then, I figured I should at least do a process of elimination and see if the issue followed on another power source. So I pulled out my old ridiculous 8 x D size battery pack that came with the scope from Meade.....AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE!!! Riddle me that? I can't explain it. Everything was perfect until that reset, and I've never heard of a power supply becoming a problem AFTER a reset. The adapter in question was properly rated and sized, and I get steady readings from it with my meter, and it's been tested in a few other devices with the same barrel connector size, and still works fine for everything else. So I am letting the thread know it's resolved technically, and if anyone ever comes across this in the future. Has anyone heard of anything changing to do with reset and power? Like maybe from factory reset it's expecting something different than what was trained into the memory in terms of draw/demand?
Canon T1i stock