Any other Losmandy Owners?

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
SonnyE
Interdicted
Articles: 0

Any other Losmandy Owners?

Post by SonnyE »

I'm in my 3rd week with my new GM811G HD Losmandy mount.
Since I live 20 miles from the factory, I called and asked if I could come there, and buy my new mount, and the accessories I wanted.
Tanya asked Scott, she called back within the hour and a Friday (2 days) delivery was arranged.

This mount replaces my very troublesome Celestron Advanced VX mount that was horrible for it's entire life, 4 short years, including it's trips to be repaired. Good riddance! (R.I.P. 11-2020)

While I have read some posts about dissatisfied owners of these new 811 hybrids (A combination of a G11 RA, and a GM8 dec) Not has been the case for me. I follow Scott Losmandy's video's for Modeling (Alignment) and have gotten excellent tracking and guiding. A new friend, Brian, who is the support@losmandy.com , helped me set it up for ASCOM, and it removed the ST-4 cable from the guide camera, and put PHD2 on pulse guiding. Faster and more accurate.
And also got me the Gemini virtual Hand Controller on my desk top for centering up my targeted object.

So any images you see from me are, in part, do to this most excellent mount. I also got the 12" extension, so I use mine in a "Portable Pier" configuration.

The whole enchilada:
Losmandy 1.jpg
Upper end: Here's the business. Wiring has undergone more changes from here. And the ST-4 wiring is no longer used.
Losmandy 2.jpg
The Middle End: The 12" extension, to make my version of a Portable-Pier.
Losmandy 3.jpg
And the Toes End: (I added some Velcro "Dots" to hold the hand controller. The Gemini 2 HC fits right within the framework for the legs.
Losmandy 5.jpg
Scott Losmandy and I. Holding the Dec head.
Scott Losmandy and I.jpeg
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Any other Losmandy Owners?

Post by bladekeeper »

That's a fine-looking enchilada, Sonny! Congrats!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Lola Bruce United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Lola Bruce »

Scott is great. I have a G11G and GM8 love them both.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I have a G11S. The construction is mind-blowing, the tripod is as solid as a pier. I too picked it up in Burbank. But it's not all perfect.
  • When doing polar alignment, tightening the 4 screws (in the wrong sequence) can throw off the just-obtained PA.
  • The worms need adjustment much more frequently than I like.
  • The saddle is not fool proof. I once had my Mak-Newt flying through the air (but I caught it) because the dual-saddle clamps are trickier to use than the single-saddle clamps on my AVX - you have to bridge the gap, the notch is easy to miss.
  • The counterweight is too much for one OTA so I am using two (of course I could have bought the 11 lbs one).
I recommend signing up for the Losmandy user board, lots of useful information and helpful people there.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:28 pm I have a G11S. The construction is mind-blowing, the tripod is as solid as a pier. I too picked it up in Burbank. But it's not all perfect.
  • When doing polar alignment, tightening the 4 screws (in the wrong sequence) can throw off the just-obtained PA.
  • The saddle is not fool proof. I once had my Mak-Newt flying through the air (but I caught it) because the dual-saddle clamps are trickier to use than the single-saddle clamps on my AVX - you have to bridge the gap, the notch is easy to miss.
  • The counterweight is too much for one OTA so I am using two (of course I could have bought the 11 lbs one).
I recommend signing up for the Losmandy user board, lots of useful information and helpful people there.
1. What 4 screws do you mean? :think: I could see where making tightening could change the mounts mechanical orientations, and affect the PA set up of any mount.

2. Sorry, mine is too new to make me question my worms. I mean, what if they answered? :shock: Ask at support@losmandy.com I bet you'll get great help to qualm your fears. It's NEW and really great!

3. I only have >one< telescope. So I never miss. I don't let go until I know mine is solid. But good catch!

4. My telescope complete weighs 15.7 Pounds. The whole enchilada from the bar up. And the OEM 11 pound counter weight does me excellent. Much better than my old mount, for which I made my own smaller weights because the OEM hit the Elv adjustment. :evil: A really bad design flaw on their part.
( had to go do a weigh-in to check. I put a DUP 14 under mine to give it a better bar. Not that my bar was bad by any means. I just wanted a beefy Losmandy carrying my pea shooter. http://store.losmandy.com/dup )

5. Been there (Losmandy Users groups) since I began thinking of a Losmandy and swearing off the Off-Shore mounts. Took me 4 months before I replaced my dead mount. And I asked a lot of questions. Great bunch! Also the Gemini Users Group. But they tend to be a little thick for my tastes. Always seem to argue about modeling. There are just too many places in the Universe I'd rather be. ;)

Seems like Losmandy Owners are not heard from much. There are tons and tons of posts from other folks, about other mounts. Oft times about problems.
I did great things with my old mount. But it was because I have a tenacity to stick to it and make things work. My problem was in the Dew-dew electronics, and the business model of change boards, don't fix problems with garbage electronic parts. I've studied the electronic failures of Asian Mounts for ~4-5 years now.
And it is why I chose a Losmandy.
I felt I could not afford to roll the dice on another Asian mount. Bottom line.

But I did not see Losmandy listed in Mounts here, not even in Other Mounts. So thought I ask.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

SonnyE wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 am
SkyHiker wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:28 pm I have a G11S. The construction is mind-blowing, the tripod is as solid as a pier. I too picked it up in Burbank. But it's not all perfect.
1. What 4 screws do you mean? :think: I could see where making tightening could change the mounts mechanical orientations, and affect the PA set up of any mount.
In fact there are 6 screws, 2 for Az and 4 for Alt. The Az ones are wing nuts, the Alt ones are Allen hex screws. My model may be different than yours.

I bought mine partly because I wanted to support our local economy rather than a foreign one, and also because I like the craftsmanship. I did not get the Gemini goto system. They charge way more than I think they should for that, so I align manually but it supports guiding. Losmandy mounts would be much more competitive if they did not have the additional charge for the goto firmware.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
SonnyE
Interdicted

Post by SonnyE »

Yep, sounds like yours is quite different, or at least you loosen up a lot of things.
Mine has the nylon or Teflon washers that allow the PA adjustments be done without loosening anything. But I also did my fine adjustments under tension with my old mount.

Same reasons for me, American Made, Scott Losmandy has been making mounts since 1986, And the quality is second to none. Plus, they are only 20 miles away from me.
But I'm pretty sure I won't have any issues.
And yes, I am active on the User board. I joined it to get info about Losmandy to help make my informed decision. The 811 is perfect for my needs.
sdtopensied
Earth Ambassador

Post by sdtopensied »

I have the Explore Scientific version of the G-11 and I love it!

I’ve used a number of mass-produced Chinese mounts and have hung on to a particularly good EQ-6, but none of them hold a candle to the quality of the G-11.

-Steve
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Jumping in here a bit late, but I also have a G11S with 492 drive. It was manufactured in their last lot in Nov 2018. Bought it in Feb 2019. It's a great mount; the best mount I have ever owned. So far, I have used it for strictly visual observing.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm Jumping in here a bit late, but I also have a G11S with 492 drive. It was manufactured in their last lot in Nov 2018. Bought it in Feb 2019. It's a great mount; the best mount I have ever owned. So far, I have used it for strictly visual observing.
Meanwhile I have switched to an OnStep controller with it's own stepper motors. The Pi runs Ekos for the high level stuff. I also did a quick and dirty take on spring loaded worms. This really helps with the non-roundness of the cog wheel. I will be improving this over Thanksgiving hopefully.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I also have noticed very little discussion of the Losmandy mounts. I have been using a G-11 with Gemini 2 for visual only since 2014. Use it with my 4 inch/f15 and 5 inch/f16 Unitron refractors...and my Stellarvue SV110ED and SVX127D. Have been impressed with the overall engineering of the mount and the beefiness of the components.

Any AZ8 users?

Dave
M155_G11_02v3.jpg
SVX127_12v1.jpg
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
scottinharwood
Earth Ambassador

Post by scottinharwood »

Wow, this story sounds so familliar! I purchesd an AVX when they first came out - remember when they ere $799? Mine has been troublesome for the whole time; replaced circuit boards, power supply connectors, bearings, motors...quite a lemon.

I was thinking of getting a EQ6Ri but then talked to the folks at Company Seven (they are local and I purchaes my 12" dob and Televue eyepieces from them years back). They recomemded the Losmandy over the EQ6, iOptrons and the EQ8.

Now I have a GM811G on order so I can have bette results with my astro cameras and I will be able to use my deforked 10" LX200R on an EQ mount it deserves. Reviewed the videos so I know to expect operating differences from the AVX and the EQ6-ish mounts.

Good reviews for the latest models (pre 2020) and good support network.
jfaldo United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by jfaldo »

G11G here. I still have my very old AVX. It's been a great mount for me. Never had and issues with it. My CGX is going up for sale, also a very good mount. Neither even come close to the quality and performance of the Losmandy though.