Collimation App?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

Collimation App?

Post by GCoyote »

I see all sorts of mounts to adapt a cell phone camera for astrophotography. Is there an app that also lets you use it for collimation? Seems like being able to sit comfortably and watch the screen while turning the adjustment screws would make the process pretty easy. Already checked the Android store with no luck.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Collimation App?

Post by UlteriorModem »

Why not just defocus the star take a series of snaps and adjust the doughnut. Sounds easy but the star moves as you adjust the mirror tilt :D

But it can be done.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

A laser collimator with the return crosshair target does pretty well ,What telescope are you using ?

I never have any much luck with software, ccd inspector and sharp cap are suppose to have collimation tools
Attachments
71saFh3x4+L._AC_SX355_.jpg
71saFh3x4+L._AC_SX355_.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am A laser collimator with the return crosshair target does pretty well ,What telescope are you using ?

I never have any much luck with software, ccd inspector and sharp cap are suppose to have collimation tools
Well my though was that you could have a right angle eyepiece oriented toward the rear of the scope, add the phone cradle, and that would give you a nice big picture to look at while you fiddle with those :flame: little screws.

I'm looking at a couple of collimation tools now but have not made the purchase. So the Newt's are getting dusty while the 'fracs are doing all the work.

I looked up this laser tool and it does look interesting. Might reduce my frustration level a tad.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
MrShorty United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MrShorty »

FWIW, if you are looking to buy a piece of hardware, I've had a laser collimator for about a year -- never felt like I got consistent, good collimation. Bought a Cheshire about a month ago and feel like I get better, more consistent collimation with it. I would probably recommend the cheshire collimator over the laser collimator, since they tend to be similarly priced.

As far as turning it into an app, you would just need to figure out how to get your camera to look down through that tiny hole in the Cheshire in a way that you can see the image from the mirror end of the telescope.
telescopes: XT6 and XT12 Dobsonians
binoculars: 15x70
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

GCoyote wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 pm
Well my though was that you could have a right angle eyepiece oriented toward the rear of the scope, add the phone cradle, and that would give you a nice big picture to look at while you fiddle with those :flame: little screws.

I'm looking at a couple of collimation tools now but have not made the purchase. So the Newt's are getting dusty while the 'fracs are doing all the work.

I looked up this laser tool and it does look interesting. Might reduce my frustration level a tad.
I paid a bit extra for the Hotech laser collimator with crosshair pattern. It has been my goto and I use it every time I set up.

You may also want to get a set of Bob's knobs. These replace your nasty little allen screws that adjust your secondary mirror. No risk of dropping a tool right onto your primary mirror.

Link for collimator
http://www.hotechusa.com/category-s/22.htm

Link to Bob's knobs
http://bobsknobs.com/Newt/Newt.html

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Nice.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

GCoyote wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 pm I'm looking at a couple of collimation tools now but have not made the purchase. So the Newt's are getting dusty while the 'fracs are doing all the work.

You don't want that Orion tool. You can get the same, or better even, without the brand-label, and for less...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SVBONY-1-25-Ne ... 8632!US!-1

I have one of those. It sports a triplet-lens, and for a tighter laser-spot. With the Orion or the Svbony, you will need to check its collimation and correct it before using it to collimate the telescope. Collimating one of those tools will require a jig.

However, I don't use my own for my Newtonians. I use a Cheshire and a collimation-cap instead...

https://agenaastro.com/celestron-1-25-c ... 94182.html
https://agenaastro.com/rigel-systems-al ... piece.html

The passive tools are tried-and-true.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Bob's Knobs are bit fancy, and to where you'd want a finished appearance; like for the secondary-hub of a Schmidt-Cassegrain.

I went to my local hardware and got these socket-head bolts...
secondary hub screws5.jpg
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Sky Tinker wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 am Bob's Knobs are bit fancy, and to where you'd want a finished appearance; like for the secondary-hub of a Schmidt-Cassegrain.

Did the same thing with my Ritchey Chretien. A plus for the Bob's though is that a tool is not required.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:37 am
Sky Tinker wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 am Bob's Knobs are bit fancy, and to where you'd want a finished appearance; like for the secondary-hub of a Schmidt-Cassegrain.

Did the same thing with my Ritchey Chretien. A plus for the Bob's though is that a tool is not required.

The socket-heads do allow for adjustment with just the fingers, although torquing them down in the end with a hex-key would be required. Still, I've found them to be most effective. Then, anything's better than the original head-less set-screws.

Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Ended up getting the next generation laser collimation tool for $24. I'll have to check my box of metric parts to see if I already have replacement screws that size. Otherwise I'll be using my Lowe's discount once again. :)

I also joined a nearby amateur astronomy club. They are having a telescope clinic next month so if I have too much trouble I can drag my gear to the meeting and get some hands on experience.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

Mire de Collimation used to be one of those collimation assist tools for windows. There are a couple of tools at the bottom of this page

http://sweiller.free.fr/collimation.html
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Just got back from the Tri State Astronomers http://www.tristateastronomers.org/ Telescope Clinic. First time I've met with them, super bunch of people.

They showed me how to use my collimation tool on one scope, and watched while I did the second one myself. Got other tips and learned about some local shops that carry gear.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars