Funscope slightly modified (2-12-20)

Let's see your reports!
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Funscope slightly modified (2-12-20)

Post by terrynak »

I went to my storage space to retrieve two scopes, including my other sample of the Orion Funscope, stored in the original box:

Inspired by a modification someone had done with this scope and put on YouTube, I took this other Funscope and removed the two pins used to secure the 10mm proprietary EP in the focuser with a knife:

Then I attached a small piece of felt on the inside of the focuser:

Now any standard 1.25” EP fits snugly into the Funscope focuser tube.

I took the scope outside and tested it with five different EPs (giving magnifications of 15x to 50x) on M42 and the stars around Orion – all five EPs came to focus and gave brighter views than the proprietary 10mm erect image EP.

Using a 6mm Expanse EP (50x), I could see 3 of the 4 main stars in the Trapezium.

I was feeling under the weather, so I ended the session shortly after that. Need to test the scope on Venus and the Moon before I can give a final word on the optics. I also need to get the hang of navigating the Astroscan-like ball and socket mount under the night skies.

Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Funscope slightly modified (2-12-20)

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good that you found it will work with other eyepieces, they look a bit like porpoises.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

They do look nice for a retro collection :)
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Who needs mount? Just hold it like the girl in the pic. She is enjoying it! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm Good that you found it will work with other eyepieces, they look a bit like porpoises.
Yup, although I need to make sure that the alignment of the EP with the mirrors are as good as I can get it to be.
Dragonsfire wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 pm They do look nice for a retro collection :)
Thanks, but the one which now takes any standard 1.25" EPs I'd like to use as a "serious" observing scope.
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 pm Who needs mount? Just hold it like the girl in the pic. She is enjoying it! :D
I'd prefer to use the mount. Anyways, the views through this scope are better than the current Orion Funscope being marketed today, as I recall.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Took the modified Funscope out again, to test its performance on Venus in the western horizon. Could not get it to focus sharply until I reached 50x, from which I could see a gibbous shape despite the glare. For comparison, I took out my Orion SkyScanner (collimation tested) - was able to see the shape clearly at 40x, but had trouble at magnifications below this. So I'm OK with the Funscope so far. Just need to test it out on the moon.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey Terry, those are neat; I've never seen one before. Nice deal on being able to remove the stock EP and use some quality lenses.

Hope you get a view of the Moon as well. I'm going out in half an hour to do exactly that (it's 2AM here, mild insomnia :lol:).

Have a good night!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Always nice to see that amateurs like us find more versatile uses of simple devices!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:56 am Hey Terry, those are neat; I've never seen one before. Nice deal on being able to remove the stock EP and use some quality lenses.

Hope you get a view of the Moon as well. I'm going out in half an hour to do exactly that (it's 2AM here, mild insomnia :lol:).

Have a good night!
Thanks Mark! Didn't realize that you can get decent views from these scopes - courtesy of parabolic mirror. Other Newts of this size (76mm) have a spherical mirror.

Re: Moon - I'll have to do it when I get up in the morning.
John Baars wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 am Always nice to see that amateurs like us find more versatile uses of simple devices!
The more experienced an observer you are, the more you can see with smaller and simpler scopes.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Way to go Terry, adding more versatility to those little red penguins! I remember many years ago seeing several photos of people using handheld richest field newts with straps attached that went around their neck/shoulders for stability. Some of them were like the Astroscan, but some were just fast focal ratio newtonian OTAs used unmounted. Have fun and hope you are feeling up to getting out of town for some observing this weekend as you mentioned earlier. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 pm Way to go Terry, adding more versatility to those little red penguins! I remember many years ago seeing several photos of people using handheld richest field newts with straps attached that went around their neck/shoulders for stability. Some of them were like the Astroscan, but some were just fast focal ratio newtonian OTAs used unmounted. Have fun and hope you are feeling up to getting out of town for some observing this weekend as you mentioned earlier. :)
Thanks Alan! I've never tried handheld viewing, unless they were with binoculars.

I'm in San Luis Obispo now. But I'm under the weather here, so I can't be outside for a long period of time.

Last night my observing was limited to the porch/balcony of the motel - will probably do that again tonight. Despite the glare of the parking lot/street lights, can see more in slightly darker skies here using a ST80 compared to home using a 4.5" F/7.9 Newt.
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

In my younger day when I was still single (I've now been married for 35 years) I almost bought an Edmund Scientific Astroscan which is very similar to your Fun Scope. However a good friend of mine worked at the camera store that sold them talked me out of it as he believed it to be nothing more than a "cheap toy" as he put it.........

Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

AbbN wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:37 pm In my younger day when I was still single (I've now been married for 35 years) I almost bought an Edmund Scientific Astroscan which is very similar to your Fun Scope. However a good friend of mine worked at the camera store that sold them talked me out of it as he believed it to be nothing more than a "cheap toy" as he put it.........

Abb
Thanks for your interesting recollection Abb!

Probably not good for someone starting to get into the hobby as their first scope. Tricky to navigate with, but I guess you could get used to it with practice.

But there were few wide-field scopes available back in the late 70s/early 80s, so this kinda filled a niche. Easier to star hop with a scope like this, rather than using the long focal length refractors that were more commonplace back then.

Had a parabolic mirror, so the views are/were good.