HST in a bright sky

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

HST in a bright sky

Post by kt4hx »

As many of you may know, I am currently away from home on a business trip. Unfortunately I am right in the middle of a very bright red zone with no ability to get away because of work requirements. Though I am at around 18° north I didn’t bring any optical aid save my 10x50 binoculars just in case some sort of opportunity might present itself.

At this latitude the Hubble Space Telescope tends to be more visible than at home due to the nature of its orbit. It has been a while since I’d seen it so I checked Heaven’s Above and found I had a good apparition (80° elevation at peak) here prior to sunrise on the 11th of February. So I took my binoculars to work and stepped out about five minutes before hand. Biding my time by studying the field between Leo and Ursa Major where I should pick it up, I located it around the appointed time and followed it as it moved from the NNW toward the SSE.

It was moving toward Bootes, where Arcturus was almost 8° west of my zenith. I could see it naked eye as it brightened to zero magnitude, but with the moon nearby and my ultra-bright sky, it was not amazingly bright without the binoculars. I kept following its motion and witnessed it pass just shy of 5’ north of Rho Bootis and then just over 2° north of Epsilon Boo. I followed it toward the ESE until it was lost in the trees.

Though I don’t get much opportunity to see anything substantive here, it was a nice diversion to my nights work to observe the HST passing nearly overhead.
Not much of a report I'm afraid, but it was fun while it lasted! I shall keep watch for it again as I have several good opportunities over the coming days. The HST actually presents more frequent viewings than does the ISS for the coming days. But even though it’s not deep observing like I typically do at home, it at least gets me out under a bright sky to stretch my legs and look upward. The below image was made using Stellarium showing the passage north of Rho Boo that I witnessed. Thanks for reading my meager effort and good luck with your observing.
HST and Rho Boo.jpg
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: HST in a bright sky

Post by bladekeeper »

Glad you could get out for a bit and look up, Alan! HST is a fun spot if latitude allows. I've got it only once but wasn't necessarily looking for it at the time. :D

Solid clouds here so if I spot the HST I'd probably better hunker down. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:39 am Glad you could get out for a bit and look up, Alan! HST is a fun spot if latitude allows. I've got it only once but wasn't necessarily looking for it at the time. :D

Solid clouds here so if I spot the HST I'd probably better hunker down. :lol:
At least it was something! I can see 1st and 2nd mag stars, but not much else naked eye. It is abysmal! :lol: Even worse with the nite lite! Sirius and Canopus are easy enough as are the normal ones we are used to this time of year. But its a tough environment to be in sky-wise!

Yes, if you see something shiny with large solar panels coming your way, I'd head for the basement! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Sorry to hear that you are in a more southerly latitude with clear skies but cannot get out of the urban conditions Alan. My biggest problem on my Down Under trips with scope was inclement weather. I'd be happy just being somewhere at least 8 degrees further south than where I am now (34 deg), if I'm guaranteed clear skies away from the city (e.g. rural area outside of Honolulu or Miami). Southerly deep sky objects fascinate me, because few amateur astronomers in N. America and Europe ever get a chance to see the showpiece objects that Dunlop and J. Herschel saw.

Anyways, cool that you were able to see and follow the HST.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:29 am Sorry to hear that you are in a more southerly latitude with clear skies but cannot get out of the urban conditions Alan. My biggest problem on my Down Under trips with scope was inclement weather. I'd be happy just being somewhere at least 8 degrees further south than where I am now (34 deg), if I'm guaranteed clear skies away from the city (e.g. rural area outside of Honolulu or Miami). Southerly deep sky objects fascinate me, because few amateur astronomers in N. America and Europe ever get a chance to see the showpiece objects that Dunlop and J. Herschel saw.

Thanks Terry. Yeah, its that old saying about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. We northerners always pine for a peak over our southern horizon. Fortunately you and I have had some opportunities, though not always under the best of conditions or perhaps with the aperture we would have rather had. I will say, we have an awfully lot of good stuff available to us at the mid-northern lats, but there is really something special about many objects I have had the opportunity to see from farther south during my trips. There are still others that I have not seen and would really like a shot at. Whether I will get those opportunities or finally get the chance to snag a DSO in my final constellation Mensa, I don't know. I've seen stars in it, just not a DSO yet. So I am stuck on 87 at this point! :lol:
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 595

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Never seen it. Pretty cool Alan.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 am
terrynak wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:29 am Sorry to hear that you are in a more southerly latitude with clear skies but cannot get out of the urban conditions Alan. My biggest problem on my Down Under trips with scope was inclement weather. I'd be happy just being somewhere at least 8 degrees further south than where I am now (34 deg), if I'm guaranteed clear skies away from the city (e.g. rural area outside of Honolulu or Miami). Southerly deep sky objects fascinate me, because few amateur astronomers in N. America and Europe ever get a chance to see the showpiece objects that Dunlop and J. Herschel saw.

Thanks Terry. Yeah, its that old saying about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. We northerners always pine for a peak over our southern horizon. Fortunately you and I have had some opportunities, though not always under the best of conditions or perhaps with the aperture we would have rather had. I will say, we have an awfully lot of good stuff available to us at the mid-northern lats, but there is really something special about many objects I have had the opportunity to see from farther south during my trips. There are still others that I have not seen and would really like a shot at. Whether I will get those opportunities or finally get the chance to snag a DSO in my final constellation Mensa, I don't know. I've seen stars in it, just not a DSO yet. So I am stuck on 87 at this point! :lol:
I'm assuming you mean 87 objects from the AF Southern Sky List. I'm at 77. It's too bad that out of the 12 galaxies I saw in Reticulum/Dorado on my last trip Down Under, only one of them was on that list.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:17 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 am

I'm assuming you mean 87 objects from the AF Southern Sky List. I'm at 77. It's too bad that out of the 12 galaxies I saw in Reticulum/Dorado on my last trip Down Under, only one of them was on that list.
Actually I am referring to constellations. I have observed DSOs in 87 of the 88 constellations, with Mensa the lone holdout. As I mentioned I have seen stars in the constellation, just no DSOs yet. Where I have traveled it does not rise very high and I have tree and light issues at those locations so its been tough.

As for the Southern Award list we have at AF, I have logged 95 of the 110 objects to this point.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:53 pm Never seen it. Pretty cool Alan.
Thanks Michael. I plan to try for a few other satellites that I feel might be doable in these skies with the binoculars. One I have always wanted to spot is the North Korean one. It is difficult from the US and then likely only the west coast. The brightest it gets here is about mag 6.6, so will give it a shot at its best apparitions. :)
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:28 pm Actually I am referring to constellations. I have observed DSOs in 87 of the 88 constellations, with Mensa the lone holdout. As I mentioned I have seen stars in the constellation, just no DSOs yet. Where I have traveled it does not rise very high and I have tree and light issues at those locations so its been tough.

As for the Southern Award list we have at AF, I have logged 95 of the 110 objects to this point.
Oh, I see. Interesting to note that there are no DSOs listed in Mensa on the AF Southern Sky Challenge List.

Ninety-five out of 110 on that list is awesome. I know that Andrey (Bigzmey) has 76-77 objects logged as well, like me.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:49 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:28 pm Actually I am referring to constellations. I have observed DSOs in 87 of the 88 constellations, with Mensa the lone holdout. As I mentioned I have seen stars in the constellation, just no DSOs yet. Where I have traveled it does not rise very high and I have tree and light issues at those locations so its been tough.

Oh, I see. Interesting to note that there are no DSOs listed in Mensa on the AF Southern Sky Challenge List.

Ninety-five out of 110 on that list is awesome. I know that Andrey (Bigzmey) has 76-77 objects logged as well, like me.
There are DSOs in Mensa,just no showpieces. The LMC is partially located within northern Mensa, but the brightest features are located in Dorado. There are some open and globular clusters associated with the LMC in Mensa, some faint galaxies and planetaries. The one object I was looking for is the asterism Streicher 29, but couldn't pin it down before I lost the field in the trees. I hope to get another shot at it and some other objects there one day to complete my goal of logging a DSO in every constellation. At this point all I can claim is to have seen some stars in every constellation! :lol:

I think there are at least a couple more on the southern list that I should be able to pick up at our dark site as they do rise above the southern horizon. But I need to check that to be certain. During a couple of trips I was looking right at the LMC but could not discern it as such, though I easily spotted NGC 2070 within it. The galaxy however was simply overwhelmed by the local LP. I've never had the chance to see the SMC yet though I did log Tuc 47. But it was way down in the much and bright enough to push through the haze, but the SMC was not.
Alan

prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Neat little target. I’ve seen it go by overhead a few times, but not when I had any glass to take a closer look.
Good to hear that you are able squeeze in some kind of observing on your business trip!
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catch Alan! I don't believe I ever saw it. Need to fix that. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan,

Too bad that you couldn't go to the New Mexico desert for a business trip! I know, it doesn't usually work that way.

You are making the best of it though in tough conditions. Shame the sky is so light polluted.

The HST is a nice catch though! Spotting satellites and space debris is what actually got me started observing. I used to go outside after dusk and get up before dawn and log sightings. I had so much fun, I bought a scope!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Alan for the report.
I would look for this, but...clouds and rain/snow here. Blah !

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

prowler75 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 am Neat little target. I’ve seen it go by overhead a few times, but not when I had any glass to take a closer look.
Good to hear that you are able squeeze in some kind of observing on your business trip!
Thanks Craig. Generally speaking I am too busy with other stuff when observing at home to take notice of the satellites. But it gives me something to do here. :)
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:52 am Nice catch Alan! I don't believe I ever saw it. Need to fix that. :)
Thanks Andrey. Yeah, you should give it a shot and also since you're on the west coast, check into the North Korean satellite as well. Its sort of a novelty. :)
Juno16 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:10 am Hi Alan,

Too bad that you couldn't go to the New Mexico desert for a business trip! I know, it doesn't usually work that way.

You are making the best of it though in tough conditions. Shame the sky is so light polluted.

The HST is a nice catch though! Spotting satellites and space debris is what actually got me started observing. I used to go outside after dusk and get up before dawn and log sightings. I had so much fun, I bought a scope!
Unfortunately I've got no business in New Mexico to pursue! :lol: Mine is always outside the country and not always conducive to observing, though I have gotten some chances from closer to the equator and even just a hair south of it. Not this time though. The conditions are horrid.

I actually saw the HST again this morning around the same time frame, but this time it passed through south of Arcturus. I also picked up Starlink 61, which peaked at about mag 3.6 at an elevation of 72°. It passed through less than a minute before I picked up the HST. Unfortunately my southeast is blocked by trees because the HST passed very close to Jupiter, but I couldn't even see the planet due to blockage.
Don Quixote wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:16 am Thank you Alan for the report.
I would look for this, but...clouds and rain/snow here. Blah !
Thanks Mark. Yeah, that is the bane of us all at some point. Some times more often than not! :)
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm

There are DSOs in Mensa,just no showpieces. The LMC is partially located within northern Mensa, but the brightest features are located in Dorado. There are some open and globular clusters associated with the LMC in Mensa, some faint galaxies and planetaries. The one object I was looking for is the asterism Streicher 29, but couldn't pin it down before I lost the field in the trees. I hope to get another shot at it and some other objects there one day to complete my goal of logging a DSO in every constellation. At this point all I can claim is to have seen some stars in every constellation! :lol:

I think there are at least a couple more on the southern list that I should be able to pick up at our dark site as they do rise above the southern horizon. But I need to check that to be certain. During a couple of trips I was looking right at the LMC but could not discern it as such, though I easily spotted NGC 2070 within it. The galaxy however was simply overwhelmed by the local LP. I've never had the chance to see the SMC yet though I did log Tuc 47. But it was way down in the much and bright enough to push through the haze, but the SMC was not.
Just checked, haven't logged any DSOs in Mensa myself. I see Streicher 29 in the IDSA - one 9th mag. star plotted, so that would be an accessible target in a red zone.

I'm looking at about 10 or so DSOs in the AF SSC List that I could probably log locally outside of town with an unobstructed southern horizon. Andrey did a magnificent job getting nearly all of his objects on the list from Anza Borrego, with a 9" SCT. My next out of town trip (orange zone) is this weekend, so I'll need to prepare my list of "new" targets (mostly asterisms, some OCs), whether they are in the southern sky or not.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Just checked, haven't logged any DSOs in Mensa myself. I see Streicher 29 in the IDSA - one 9th mag. star plotted, so that would be an accessible target in a red zone.

I'm looking at about 10 or so DSOs in the AF SSC List that I could probably log locally outside of town with an unobstructed southern horizon. Andrey did a magnificent job getting nearly all of his objects on the list from Anza Borrego, with a 9" SCT. My next out of town trip (orange zone) is this weekend, so I'll need to prepare my list of "new" targets (mostly asterisms, some OCs), whether they are in the southern sky or not.
I am quite sure I would have gotten Streicher 29 had the trees not limited by viewing. I think I was close, but simply could not identify the field with the narrow window I had. At about 5S latitude, Mensa does not put on a great show overall. Combine that with the trees, well it was tough.

Good luck with your southern sky adventure this weekend, and its really nice to see you active again. :)
Alan