Getting ready for first cooled CMOS sensor

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Getting ready for first cooled CMOS sensor

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:45 am
JayTee wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 am Hi Steve,

Sorry I'm not going to be a lot of help here, but what I do remember is having to muck with where the UCAC files were located. It was difficult at first to understand where I needed to put them for plate solve to work. Eventually I figured it out. Right now, I don't remember where I put them.

JT

Hi JT and Steve,

My UCAC3PS folder is in the root of C:\. As are PlateSolve2.28 and Platesolver.

Well GOOD NEWS!!!

Everything worked and the NSEW slew speeds were perfect. I did have trouble at first because once everything was hooked up the mount wouldn't start tracking! Yikes!!!! That meant no GoTo and no NSEW slewing!!! :angry-tappingfoot:

So, being the cool customer that we all know and love (chuckle) I did the following:
1) Turned off PHD2 and APT.
2) Started APT (DSLR camera connects automatically).
3) Next connected the mount, and, it was happy again. :clap:
4) Next started PHD2 and connected it to APT. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: The mount was still happy and PHD2 was up and running.

With that sequence of connecting things, APT controlled the mount, the DSLR and PHD2 fine. Order of connecting things matters??!!??

With everything now working I slewed to Capella for the 1-star alignment. I clicked on Point Craft, entered Capella as the object and clicked solve. Voila!!!! It solved in about 5 sec. I then did the Sync and then GoTo++ and magically Capella eventually moved to the center of the screen to complete the 1-star alignment.

It's a strange but wonderful feeling when everything works. I amazed myself. :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

Thanks all for the help and suggestions. Hopefully connecting the items in this order will continue to make everything happy.

Time for dinner (8:15 pm). :popcorn: Then bring in the equipment. The moon is too bright even for my Duo Narrowvband filter.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:20 am

Thanks all for the help and suggestions. Hopefully connecting the items in this order will continue to make everything happy.

Time for dinner (8:15 pm). :popcorn: Then bring in the equipment. The moon is too bright even for my Duo Narrowvband filter.

Cheers,
Steve
Wonderful! I am glad it all works for you, Steve! During a full moon was the best time to do all of this, as you know :) Now you are ready for the new moon!
If you get the craving to do some AP while the full moon is out, you can try to mess with the session craft (automatic meridian flip), or play around with some of the other settings :)

When are you going to get your new camera?
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yay, yay, and yay.

It is such a wonderful feeling when you can step back and just watch everything go. I stand there with my arms crossed and marvel at technology.

Nice job Steve,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

JayTee wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:15 am Yay, yay, and yay.

It is such a wonderful feeling when you can step back and just watch everything go. I stand there with my arms crossed and marvel at technology.

Nice job Steve,
JT
Thanks JT - I hope I get the same wonderful feeling (in other words, I hope everything works correctly) the next time I setup and run the system. It is amazing all the technology we have available.

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 am Wonderful! I am glad it all works for you, Steve! During a full moon was the best time to do all of this, as you know :) Now you are ready for the new moon!
If you get the craving to do some AP while the full moon is out, you can try to mess with the session craft (automatic meridian flip), or play around with some of the other settings :)

Thanks James - I'm still agonizing over which Oiii filter to get. However, I think it's time to get the ball rolling. Maybe i'll place the order tomorrow.

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:55 am
Baskevo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 am Wonderful! I am glad it all works for you, Steve! During a full moon was the best time to do all of this, as you know :) Now you are ready for the new moon!

Thanks James - I'm still agonizing over which Oiii filter to get. However, I think it's time to get the ball rolling. Maybe i'll place the order tomorrow.

Cheers,
Steve

It's a tough choice! I just spent the last week and a half figuring that out myself. From what I've seen, if you want perfection (which is essentially no star halos) the only choices are Astrodon or Chroma, which as I'm sure you know are crazy expensive... But the consensus is that you definitely get what you pay for. I wonder if the fact that Astrodon and Chroma are the only brands that make 3nm and 5nm have anything to do with their reputations for quality.

I ended up going with Chroma because it is a little bit cheaper and they are supposed to have better customer service. It just came yesterday. The good news is that no matter what filter you go with, they have great resell value, so whether you go with ZWO, Baader, or Astrodon, you can basically sell it back at a discounted rate which I would consider the price of renting the filter!

What you could do is go with the ZWO kit that includes the Oiii filter, try it out once or twice, and then sell it for $20 - $30 cheaper than the price of it new and there would be no money out of your pocket. There's about a $30 difference between the filters purchased individually and with the kit, so you'd basically get to try the filter for free.

I will let you know how the Chroma filter is tomorrow, when my new mount is supposed to arrive :) With the full moon, it will be the perfect time to test it out!

Let us know what you decide! I'm looking forward to your narrowband work, Steve! I would love to learn what you can do with post-processing monochrome images!
-James W.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:20 am
It's a strange but wonderful feeling when everything works. I amazed myself. :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

Cheers,
Steve

Glad it all came together for you Steve, I know this thread has helped me with a couple of things too!

"Strange but wonderful feeling when everything works" is spot on!

You could always capture some Lunar images when the Moon is out!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hey Steve,

I usually launch and connect all of the applications just to make sure everything is communicating. I then disconnect all in phd2. After I focus and I plate solve to the target, I connect phd2 and start guiding. When things look smooth, I start the imaging plan.
That’s just what works for me.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

hey steve i might of missed a post i did a quick re read, did you end up ordering your camera and filters ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 pm hey steve i might of missed a post i did a quick re read, did you end up ordering your camera and filters ?
I just ordered the ASI1600MM kit with the 8-position filter wheel and a complete set of LRGB and SHO filters. I should get it just as "Galaxy Season" begins and "Nebula Season" ends - perfect timing :angry-tappingfoot: .

Juno16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:37 pm Hey Steve,

I usually launch and connect all of the applications just to make sure everything is communicating. I then disconnect all in phd2. After I focus and I plate solve to the target, I connect phd2 and start guiding. When things look smooth, I start the imaging plan.
That’s just what works for me.
Thanks Jim - Any particular reason you turn off PHD2 after everything is working?

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:53 am Glad it all came together for you Steve, I know this thread has helped me with a couple of things too!

"Strange but wonderful feeling when everything works" is spot on!

You could always capture some Lunar images when the Moon is out!

Regards

Graeme
Glad this helped you too. I can't imagine having worked this all out on my own!
The moon is pretty small in my FOV, but, trying to show the moon with all the stars would be a fun processing challenge.

Thanks all,
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

TODAY I ORDERED the ZWO ASI1600MM Pro MONOCHROME CAMERA w 8-Position Filter Wheel and 31mm LRGB and SHO filters!!!

Of course we are now at the end of the "Nebula Season" and getting into the "Galaxy Season". Perfect timing!!! :angry-tappingfoot:

According to the website all the items are all in stock, so, the complete order should arrive around the end of next week. I'm sure that will be the beginning of a whole new set of questions. :confusion-confused:

Thanks all for your help along the way. More to come.

Cheers,
Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm TODAY I ORDERED the ZWO ASI1600MM Pro MONOCHROME CAMERA w 8-Position Filter Wheel and 31mm LRGB and SHO filters!!!

Of course we are now at the end of the "Nebula Season" and getting into the "Galaxy Season". Perfect timing!!! :angry-tappingfoot:

According to the website all the items are all in stock, so, the complete order should arrive around the end of next week. I'm sure that will be the beginning of a whole new set of questions. :confusion-confused:

Thanks all for your help along the way. More to come.

Cheers,
Steve

Congratulations! I will sure miss your find dslr images!

To answer your question about why I disconnect all of the equipment.

I just like to do a communications test. If all is well, I disconnect and put the laptop to sleep.

When I get ready to start imaging, I use Sharpcap to PA. The mount is off.

After PA, I connect the imaging camera and mount to APT and when I am focused and on the target, I connect PHD2. Of course, if I run the GA, I do things a bit differently.

I have noticed that PHD2 will start guiding on its own sometimes before I am ready to start guiding. I'm sure that it is getting a tip off from APT. Doesn't really hurt anything, but I just like to have control.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:15 am Yay, yay, and yay.

Nice job Steve,
JT
Me too JT!

Part of the reason that I haven’t mastered the technique of napping while imaging. I constantly check on things.
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just a little update as I wait for the new equipment to arrive. I ran an imaging session last night using APT and the WEme USB 2.0 extender. Everything connected up and operated perfectly. Of course the moon was full, but, this was more of a test of the setup than a real data gathering evening.

Of course I tripped over the extender cable a couple of times when out checking the setup in the dark. Fortunately I didn't damage anything (except my pride). I was getting close to closing down and bringing in the equipment when, all of a sudden, the Guiding shot off the graph! I ran out to see what was happening, and, the mount was in full slew!! I was about to shut the mount down to prevent any disasters when I realized that it was in the middle of a Meridian Flip! Whew - that was a surprise. Glad nobody was out to watch the clown acts last night. Now I need to read up on the Meridian Flip.

Delivery of the new equipment is scheduled for Thursday by end of day, so, looks like Thursday and Friday will be busy unpacking, reading, mounting filters, etc.

Cheers,
Steve
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Sounds like my luck Steve, first night out with the Celestron AVX I tripped on the power cable and ripped it right out since it is a screw type connector.

My ASI533MC - OSC camera will be here Tuesday, so I know the excitement. :D
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:44 pm Sounds like my luck Steve, first night out with the Celestron AVX I tripped on the power cable and ripped it right out since it is a screw type connector.

My ASI533MC - OSC camera will be here Tuesday, so I know the excitement. :D

Yikes!! :icon-surprised: Hopefully all is OK now.

Very cool about your new camera Mac. Look forward to your first light!

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:55 pm
I have noticed that PHD2 will start guiding on its own sometimes before I am ready to start guiding. I'm sure that it is getting a tip off from APT. Doesn't really hurt anything, but I just like to have control.
You can turn this off! :) In APT, in the gear tab, next to "connect scope" you will see "guiding." One of the last few check boxes is "control guiding" or something, which is letting APT control the guiding for you. Uncheck that box and APT will stop auto-guiding for you :)

I'm so glad everything is working for you Steve, and can't wait to see what you can do with the ASI1600mm!

BTW, I usually have to run SharpCap and PHD2 separately, because they do not play together well on my computer. Here is my routine:

1) Set up, connect everything, balance everything, etc. Make sure mount is in home positioned and locked.
2) Open APT, turn on cooling aid to cool down to -20 degrees C (this takes a few minutes, so it's the first thing I do)
3) Connect scope, check my guide settings in APT, connect filter wheel, (and now connect focuser). Unpark mount.
4) Open SharpCap, run polar alignment 2 or 3 times
5) Open PHD2, connect equipment, and slew/plate solve to a bright star to focus (I am hoping to get rid of that part with the new focuser motor)
6) Slew to target, and before I plate solve, I run PHD2 guide assistant
7) plate solve to target
8) If needed, I now use the framing mask to make sure my camera's orientation is the same as previous nights
9) Check/create imaging plan, double check cooling is finished and not drawing too much power (there's a number in the top left corner that tells you how much power the camera is drawing, mine is usually less than 50%)
10) Begin guiding, hit Start, and "marvel at technology" :D

I head inside after I focus and polar align, but now I am hoping I can focus from inside the house... I just have to get the Auto-focus aid to work for me. All of this takes less than 30 minutes, including the set up. :)
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm
You can turn this off! :) In APT, in the gear tab, next to "connect scope" you will see "guiding." One of the last few check boxes is "control guiding" or something, which is letting APT control the guiding for you. Uncheck that box and APT will stop auto-guiding for you :)

I'm so glad everything is working for you Steve, and can't wait to see what you can do with the ASI1600mm!

BTW, I usually have to run SharpCap and PHD2 separately, because they do not play together well on my computer. Here is my routine:

1) Set up, connect everything, balance everything, etc. Make sure mount is in home positioned and locked.
2) Open APT, turn on cooling aid to cool down to -20 degrees C (this takes a few minutes, so it's the first thing I do)
3) Connect scope, check my guide settings in APT, connect filter wheel, (and now connect focuser). Unpark mount.
5) Open PHD2, connect equipment, and slew/plate solve to a bright star to focus (I am hoping to get rid of that part with the new focuser motor)
7) plate solve to target
8) If needed, I now use the framing mask to make sure my camera's orientation is the same as previous nights
9) Check/create imaging plan, double check cooling is finished and not drawing too much power (there's a number in the top left corner that tells you how much power the camera is drawing, mine is usually less than 50%)

I head inside after I focus and polar align, but now I am hoping I can focus from inside the house... I just have to get the Auto-focus aid to work for me. All of this takes less than 30 minutes, including the set up. :)
Very cool James. At my age I may need to make a "Checklist" so I don't forget something, or, do something out of sequence. Sigh!!!!!

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:10 pm
Baskevo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm

7) plate solve to target

Very cool James. At my age I may need to make a "Checklist" so I don't forget something, or, do something out of sequence. Sigh!!!!!

Cheers,
Steve
You can create your own checklist and put in the window that pops up when you first open APT :D
-James W.

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Mono imaging after a DSLR will be a big jump forward for you. A cooled camera and much more sensitive sensor.

It took me a few months to get the hang of combining the different filters together as they normally need registering, but once I discovered how to do that there was no holding me back. Targets can be visible on looping (fast download), if you adjust the brightness, and if you can view that in the negative it works even better. You'd never get that with a DSLR.

On the few occasions I have used my DSLR (perhaps travelling abroad or the odd special event like the lunar eclipse or a comet) it reminds me how much easier mono imaging is to focus and find things.

I use CCD as CMOS was not on the market when i started imaging. It suits me and I think the CMOS files are pretty huge, and probably far too big for my laptops and computers to handle.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home