No Such Thing as Plug n Play (RigelSys Autofocuser trouble)

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

No Such Thing as Plug n Play (RigelSys Autofocuser trouble)

Post by Baskevo »

RRARRRHGHGGHGHGHH!!!!

I've never been so frustrated about anything in my life, and yet be more inspired to continue with whatever made me frustrated... This is an extremely weird hobby.

I received my Rigel Systems Stepper Motor, specifically fitted to the Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 with the 2.5" HEX focuser. Now, I wasn't expecting plug n play (now I never do), but omg I was getting so mad by how difficult it was... I finally concluded that I probably have a faulty motor?

So I followed the instructions to the letter (as little as there may have been). I got it to go, but it was EXTREMELY slow. I figured I would just set it up out in the backyard with my new mount and figure it out outside, because it was starting to Get dark.

I disconnect everything, set everything up outside, reconnect, and it doesn't look like the stepper motor is working. First of all, the UI for the RigelSys is extremely confusing, and if you've never used an automatic focuser before, you have absolutely NO clue what anything does in the program. I get that this hobby is for tinkerers and people with science degrees for the most part, but you'd think that there would be some consideration to us normal folk... It is understandable for freeware, but for a $500 system, I expect at least some common sense controls...

Secondly, it appeared as if the motor was not working. If it was working, it was going ridiculously slow. There was no way I was going to try to automate my focusing with this thing. I tried researching and tinkering for hours, until I finally gave up. I'm 99% I'm going to return it.

Has anyone used the RigelSys stepper motors before? Have you had this much trouble? Does it sound like my device is faulty?

FYI, I'm plugging it in to my Usb Hub for power. It may be the power supply, but I don't think so because it is still communicating with the device. If you guys have any suggestions before I return it or throw it out the window, please let me know... I'm going to email Leon from Rigel and see if it is faulty or not.

Thanks for reading guys...
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: No Such Thing as Plug n Play (RigelSys Autofocuser trouble)

Post by Baskevo »

and OF COURSE my new mount has really bad dec backlash... >= 4821 ms

this is just one of those nights.
-James W.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Email leon he is pretty good a diagnosing problems. I could Probably look at my settings later tonight.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I did. I have been trying his suggestions, but nothing is working. The motor isn't even turning now. Literally everything that I buy relating to Astrophotography other than my camera I have had to send back at least once... So freakin frustrating.

I think I may return it and spend an extra $200 for a moonlite focuser with stepper motor.
-James W.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I'm sorry James, but you are so "snake-bit" with all your recent purchases. If it is any consolation, I do believe that you are taking one for the team as everyone else's new gear is arriving in perfect working order. I hope that extends all the way to my new mount showing up week after next.

Look up, at some point you'll have all the gear you'll need for at least .... 6 months, during that period you can rest!

Hoping you figure this out while you still have some hair left to pull,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:26 am I'm sorry James, but you are so "snake-bit" with all your recent purchases. If it is any consolation, I do believe that you are taking one for the team as everyone else's new gear is arriving in perfect working order. I hope that extends all the way to my new mount showing up week after next.

Look up, at some point you'll have all the gear you'll need for at least .... 6 months, during that period you can rest!

Hoping you figure this out while you still have some hair left to pull,
JT
Haha that is true, I had not thought of it that way... I am glad that I can be of service to the AP community :P With my luck, that 6 month period will come during galaxy season, where I probably won't be able to do much with my 80mm in a bortle 8 T.T

Thanks for the empathy, JT. I wish things would just work!

I should note that Leon has been great, emailing back quickly and attempting to help me. He has offered me a full refund if I need it.
-James W.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Well, the other thing you can take solace in is that everyone who seriously pursues AP and I mean EVERYONE has gone through some or all of the tribulations that you have faced, are facing, and will face; at some point.

Chin up and don't let the bastard "gear monsters" beat you down!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:38 am
Well, the other thing you can take solace in is that everyone who seriously pursues AP and I mean EVERYONE has gone through some or all of the tribulations that you have faced, are facing, and will face; at some point.

Chin up and don't let the bastard "gear monsters" beat you down!

Cheers,
JT
Really? That's good to know... And it is probably why there aren't more people in this hobby. I would guess that the best images are so rare because they come from those who have withstood the test of the "gear monsters"

For some reason, the more trouble I have, the more I want to image!

The more I think about the moonlite focuser, the more I want it... I wonder if it could help with my field flattener issues as well.
-James W.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

That's unfortunate about the nstep motor,have you tried replacing the rj11 cord ? checked the 12 volt into the nstep board ? last problem i could think of is that the motor might need to be pulled apart,cleaned and re greased,could be some manufacturing debris in it , but that would void warranty .

if you have the extra $200 to spare then the moonlight will be well worth it.

astronomy is pretty complicated ,that's why we have a forum :) . regil is ok, they more so specialize in supplying to many different focusers and custom fitting .if they don't have it they can make it for you.,the price isn't that bad either , i've re used my nstep motor focuser and made my own bracket for my sct ,certainly a universal practical product.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Alright, I think I got it working. I think the main issue was the settings. It works pretty well :)

But now, I'm considering going for the moonlite focuser... I spent about $500 for the Rigel systems focuser. Leon said he would offer me a full refund, and I could spend another $280 for a moonlite focuser with a stepper motor...

This is a tough decision! Mostly because I do not know how much of a difference it would make. The HEX Focuser can hold up to 10 lbs. supposedly, and has been regarded as a great focuser, especially for visual. But, I saw a forum post where a Moonlite employee told a customer that for AP he would upgrade to the Moonlite... It is hard to know if that is really the case or if they were just trying to get the sale.

For all I know, the Moonlite could totally solve my field curvature issues (I cannot get a perfectly flat field with round stars all the way to the edges).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
-James W.