Trouble connecting CEM40 mount to APT

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Trouble connecting CEM40 mount to APT

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi All - I have successfully connected my iOptron CEM40 mount directly to my computer with a 6' USB cable and everything worked fine.

However, when I try to connect the mount through an ethernet extension (WEme part WM2516 and 40' ethernet cable) I get the error message "USB device not recognized". So, clearly inserting the ethernet extension in the middle is causing the problem. I should mention that I do successfully connect to my Orion StarShoot AutoGuider through the WEme connection and it works fine with PHD2.

I tried hooking the mount to the computer with an active USB extension cord (15') and it worked fine. Unfortunately my laptop is more than 15 feet away, and, two active USB extensions in series didn't work.

Any ideas? I'm 78 and this is getting beyond my expertise (and on my nerves).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Trouble connecting CEM40 mount to APT

Post by Baskevo »

Is the mount coming up under the device manager on your computer? Have you tried switching the ports, like seeing if the one that plugs into the orion starshoot will work when plugged into the mount? I'm not sure how exactly you have it set up because I've never done it that way, but I know I have had issues with my USB ports not recognizing certain devices but other ports will, and there have been issues with power management, etc.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:26 am Is the mount coming up under the device manager on your computer? Have you tried switching the ports, like seeing if the one that plugs into the orion starshoot will work when plugged into the mount? I'm not sure how exactly you have it set up because I've never done it that way, but I know I have had issues with my USB ports not recognizing certain devices but other ports will, and there have been issues with power management, etc.
At the telescope end of the ethernet connection there is a powered 4-port USB hub that connects to one end of the ethernet cable.The DSLR, the AutoGuider, and the mount all connect into this hub. The ethernet cable runs into the house where it connects into another small box that itself connects into a USB port on the laptop. The DSLR and the AutoGuider both work fine, but, the mount is unrecognized. If I bring the mount into the house and plug it into the same port that the ethernet box plugged into but just using a normal usb cable, the mount is recognized and works fine.

I haven't tried plugging the ethernet setup into either of the other two available USB ports. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

Is the cable at least Cat5E or cat6E twisted pair. Also the copper in the cable makes a difference. Cheap cable verse expensive cable makes a big difference on long runs.
Scope:Celestron: C8 Owned since 1976, Celestron EdgeHD 14 Mount: CGEM DX, CGX-L, Ioptron CEM120EC
EP: Tele Vue 8mm Delos, Tele Vue Ethos 21mm Tele Vue 2x Barlow, Tele-Vue 2x power mate, Tele-Vue Apollo 11 Commemorative, Celestron K12,25,40.
Camera:Canon EOS 600d Home Dome 10'
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Here are a few things to try: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/comput ... ecognized/

Specifically, method 4. I had to run through that myself. Good luck Steve!
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm Here are a few things to try: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/comput ... ecognized/

James - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the link and unchecked the box as directed in step 4 of the link, and, the mount was found!!!!

I now have the DSLR, the AutoGuider and the Mount all connected through the ethernet connection to the laptop inside the house!!

I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee or had breakfast yet, and, today is already a huge success!!

If you can't tell, I'm very happy - :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow:

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:05 pm
Baskevo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm Here are a few things to try: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/comput ... ecognized/

James - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the link and unchecked the box as directed in step 4 of the link, and, the mount was found!!!!

I now have the DSLR, the AutoGuider and the Mount all connected through the ethernet connection to the laptop inside the house!!

I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee or had breakfast yet, and, today is already a huge success!!

If you can't tell, I'm very happy - :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow:

Cheers,
Steve

AWESOME! :D I'm so happy that worked for you! It took me at least a few days to figure that one out lol it's a good feeling I understand! I can't wait to see what you can do now that you are not limited by the elements, my friend!
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 pm
AWESOME! :D I'm so happy that worked for you! It took me at least a few days to figure that one out lol it's a good feeling I understand! I can't wait to see what you can do now that you are not limited by the elements, my friend!

I'll probably give it a try tonight even though the winds are supposed to be 12-18 mph along with the growing moon. The Christmas Tree & Cone Nebulae will be the target. Clouds expected later, so, not much hope of anything good, except, the pleasure of seeing it all work from the comfort and warmth of the laptop inside the house!!!

Tomorrow I'll be giving a little presentation on my AP hobby to a group here at our mobile home park (seniors). I've presented many of the images to them before, so, this time i'll show a little of the equipment as well as a simplified walk through the processing to show how something "invisible" turns into the beautiful images we produce. It should be fun. However, the presentation starts at 6:30, so, no imaging tomorrow.

Cheers,
Steve
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Steve,

You do understand that while you are giving your presentation to the group, the skies will be perfectly clear with no wind. Sorry, but that's just the way it works.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

JayTee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:12 am Hi Steve,

You do understand that while you are giving your presentation to the group, the skies will be perfectly clear with no wind. Sorry, but that's just the way it works.

Cheers,
JT

I know :angry-tappingfoot:

But how could I miss out on getting a chance to be with a bunch of old men and women? :angry-banghead:

They actually really enjoy seeing the images once in a while. I kind of enjoy it. Especially when they ask questions.

Cheers,
Steve
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:15 am
I know

But how could I miss out on getting a chance to be with a bunch of old men and women? :angry-banghead:

They actually really enjoy seeing the images once in a while. I kind of enjoy it. Especially when they ask questions.

Cheers,
Steve
It really does sound like fun Steve. I hope that it goes well and they ask a lot of questions. And, its cloudy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I tested the "ethernet connection" with everything connected (DSLR, Guide Scope, and, mount) to APT. Everything worked fully except the mount connection. With APT I was able to use the GoTo command and slew to a star or given RA/Dec coordinates. Unfortunately, the NSEW buttons didn't work for finalizing the 1-star alignment. GRRRRR!

However, this morning I connected up again with the "ethernet connection" and I can use the iOptron Commander which opens/runs in the background when APT connects to the mount. I can display the Commander Mount Panel which has NSEW buttons which do work (with adjustable speeds) with the mount over the "ethernet connection"!!!!! YEAAAAAAAA . :greetings-clappingyellow:
Now I can finally perform the 1-star alignment from inside the house. Only the focussing will need to be performed outside at the mount (no focus motors), but, the Bahtinov Aid makes that pretty simple.

All-in-all a very nice morning.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:24 pm I tested the "ethernet connection" with everything connected (DSLR, Guide Scope, and, mount) to APT. Everything worked fully except the mount connection. With APT I was able to use the GoTo command and slew to a star or given RA/Dec coordinates. Unfortunately, the NSEW buttons didn't work for finalizing the 1-star alignment. GRRRRR!

However, this morning I connected up again with the "ethernet connection" and I can use the iOptron Commander which opens/runs in the background when APT connects to the mount. I can display the Commander Mount Panel which has NSEW buttons which do work (with adjustable speeds) with the mount over the "ethernet connection"!!!!! YEAAAAAAAA . :greetings-clappingyellow:
Now I can finally perform the 1-star alignment from inside the house. Only the focussing will need to be performed outside at the mount (no focus motors), but, the Bahtinov Aid makes that pretty simple.

All-in-all a very nice morning.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Steve

Woo-Hoo! This is great news, Steve!
-James W.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

So this is now Germain to me. Are you using the ASCOM drivers to get everything to speak to everything? And if you are, do you have the latest iOptron ASCOM drivers? In about 3 weeks, this is going to be me!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

JayTee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 pm So this is now Germain to me. Are you using the ASCOM drivers to get everything to speak to everything? And if you are, do you have the latest iOptron ASCOM drivers? In about 3 weeks, this is going to be me!

Cheers,
JT

Hi JT - Congrats on getting a new mount?

When I first setup the ethernet extender I didn't have ASCOM downloaded. I was able to connected with my Canon DSLR and the Orion AutoGuider over the ethernet extension with no problems.
When it was time to include controlling the mount I followed the iOptron instructions in the link below.

http://www.ioptron.com/v/ASCOM/iOptron_ASCOM_CEM40.pdf

After a bit of fiddling with the Device Manager settings (info in this thread) I was able to connect to and control the mount from APT. However, as mentioned above, the NSEW buttons in APT didn't work, but, the work around was just described.

I'm not very conversant in ASCOM, but, if you need more information let me know and I'll try to answer.

Cheers,
Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

From a quick research it looks like you have to use ASCOM through the iOptron Commander whereas with the CEM60, I can use the straight ASCOM drivers without having to go through the iOptron Commander.

Cheers,
JT

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hopefully that is good news for you JT. In my case the iOptron Commander turned out to be my solution for APT not having "full control" of the mount. Maybe avoiding the Commander will help APT to work properly with the CEM60.

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Steve, I would maybe reach out on the APT forum if you would like to have control of the mount in APT! Again, I think the problem is not that the NSEW buttons don't work, but that the speed is too slow to see any movement... That is how it is with my EQ6-R. Maybe there is a way to change the speed and we just haven't figured it out yet! Or maybe the APT guy can make a fix :)
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:41 am Steve, I would maybe reach out on the APT forum if you would like to have control of the mount in APT! Again, I think the problem is not that the NSEW buttons don't work, but that the speed is too slow to see any movement... That is how it is with my EQ6-R. Maybe there is a way to change the speed and we just haven't figured it out yet! Or maybe the APT guy can make a fix :)

James,
I'll pass the information along to the APT forum. In my case the NSEW buttons don't work. Each time I click on one of them I get an error message in the log that the requested motion can't be performed. It is funny, because, the GoTo works! I'm just glad that the iOptron Commander NSEW buttons work. In addition, the slew speed 1X, 2X, ..., 64X, ..., Max can be selected in Commander. I actually find it more convenient to use the Commander than APT for the small slews.

Cheers,
Steve
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I am thinking of going the same route with the USB Extender and almost purchased one yesterday until I saw your first post in this thread.
Glad you have it worked out and big thanks to James for the solution.

How far will this work on ethernet Steve, do you know?

I have a 100' Cat5 cable that will work to the spot in the yard where I image, but is that too long?

I found the answer, up to 165' which is awesome. Going to order these. If I use APT and the laptop I can use this and if using the Raspberry Pi, I will plug it into the ethernet port vs. using wifi.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11