How to select your first telescope.

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

by Bigzmey

Google the topic and you find tons of hits. Refractor vs reflector, DOB vs SCT - plenty of strong opinions on all sides don’t make selecting the first telescope easier for newcomers. In part, this is because we as observers develop our own preferences over the time and are passionate about the hobby;...
Read more...
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: How to select your first telescope.

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nicely done. Sane, non dogmatic and user focused!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 pm Nicely done. Sane, non dogmatic and user focused!
Thanks nFA! That was the intent. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Excellent analysis of the buying process - it should be very helpful for those just starting out in the hobby!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

helicon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:44 pm Excellent analysis of the buying process - it should be very helpful for those just starting out in the hobby!
Thanks Michael! Did not want to follow the beaten track. :D

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very good 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Very nice work, Andrey!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Jeff and Bryan!

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice work Bigz!

Excellent article. Very helpful read for the first scope buyer.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

One metric I suggest is to consider your hourly pay rate. Then consider how much you can afford for a telescope. Price/Pay = Hours you should spend reading about telescopes before you buy one. That's the advice I wish that I had given myself if I had a time machine.

As for the article, it is excellent. Allow me to suggest that you "not bury the lede." You should re-arrange this so that the strongest point is first with no introduction. Also, ask the moderators to move this to a top-most level where every newbie can find it.
Don’t buy your first scope as your lifetime scope
Consider your first scope as training wheels instead. It does not need to be perfect, just decent enough. The goal is to get into observing first, gain some experience and learn what you need in the second scope. Almost any entry level telescope with exception of a few Bird-Jones design scopes should work fine as a training scope, making the choice easier and less stressful.
I really appreciate the advice now, five telescopes later. I can understand what you said. If I had read this before I bought my first telescope, most of it would have been meaningless and I would have ignored half of what I understood. And, having bought my third telescope specifically for backyard viewing, I understand now the mistakes I made. (To bring "five" and "three" into alignment, I borrowed two from the local club. There, also, were learning experiences you warned of. The one weighs 65 lbs (29.5 kg). I took it out once. It is in the garage waiting for our equipment chair to come pick it up.

Your second point is also salient:
Mount
It is almost always a better strategy to select a good quality mount and then look for the scope within your budget which would ride well on it.
I have to agree that the tripod and mount make the experience. Optics are pretty much a given. I believe that whether it is motorized or not, computerized or not, equatorial polar-aligned or not, the mount should be gear-driven. The Earth spins at 460 meters/sec (1000 miles per hour). Nothing stands still and the greater the magnification, the faster it moves across your field of view. A gear-driven mount is like flying an airplane that is trimmed for flight: you hold the yoke with your thumb and two fingers of your left hand and just move your wrist. Anything without gears is like riding a horse: you are tugging on the reins to control 1500 pounds of stupid.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Michael! I wrote this article from the perspective "I wish some one told me that when I was starting". :)

As for moving the article up it is for the moderators to decide.

Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hello !
Very fine and convenient article ! Congrats ! :text-goodpost:
May I suggest that the age of the end-user must be taken in account (e.g. I was told to tell what scope for a young boy : I ask if he will use his scope alone or with an adult [weight of the gear, adjustments or not and so on ]). :twocents-02cents:
I'm getting old, so I think the age becomes important !
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Arsene37 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:37 pm Hello !
Very fine and convenient article ! Congrats ! :text-goodpost:
May I suggest that the age of the end-user must be taken in account (e.g. I was told to tell what scope for a young boy : I ask if he will use his scope alone or with an adult [weight of the gear, adjustments or not and so on ]). :twocents-02cents:
I'm getting old, so I think the age becomes important !
Arsène
Thanks Arsène! I believe astronomy is too complex for younger children to figure out on their on. So, in reality parents or other willing adults should by the scope based on their preferences and get involved into the hobby together with kids.

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I agree Andrey. There are so many options available that it is tough enough for parents to make a choice, let alone a young child.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Nice and simple, but well-considered Andrey. To often I see, the best thing for you Mr/Ms Beginner - is a ten inch Dobson.

Now, I bought some gear from a guy who had done exactly this.

He lived in a small two bedroomed house with his Mum. The was on an estate of similar homes, all with tiny enclosed gardens. His house pointed north, and from no point in his garden could he see Polaris. He was frustrated as his mum wouldn't let him assemble the scope in the house. Instead annoyed he followed forum advice on the accessories he should buy, and spent a further £500.

I bought an Orion Illuminated RACI of him at an advantageous price.

I was there for an hour with him chatting about my scopes, general astronomy. At the end of the conversation I asked him about his scope, he explained it was a 10 inch SkyQuest Orion Dobson. He knew all the details and still seemed enthused. How long have you had it I asked, ’Oh, just over six months’ was the reply. Still, I stated ’You must have seen so nice views with a scope like that?’.

Ah, he replied ’I've never looked through it...’ :shock:

I wish to add that this didn't happen in this forum, but on a quite a well known one.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Greenman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:51 pm Nice and simple, but well-considered Andrey. To often I see, the best thing for you Mr/Ms Beginner - is a ten inch Dobson.

Now, I bought some gear from a guy who had done exactly this.

He lived in a small two bedroomed house with his Mum. The was on an estate of similar homes, all with tiny enclosed gardens. His house pointed north, and from no point in his garden could he see Polaris. He was frustrated as his mum wouldn't let him assemble the scope in the house. Instead annoyed he followed forum advice on the accessories he should buy, and spent a further £500.

I bought an Orion Illuminated RACI of him at an advantageous price.

I was there for an hour with him chatting about my scopes, general astronomy. At the end of the conversation I asked him about his scope, he explained it was a 10 inch SkyQuest Orion Dobson. He knew all the details and still seemed enthused. How long have you had it I asked, ’Oh, just over six months’ was the reply. Still, I stated ’You must have seen so nice views with a scope like that?’.

Ah, he replied ’I've never looked through it...’ :shock:

I wish to add that this didn't happen in this forum, but on a quite a well known one.
Thanks Tony! I had my share of "buy 8" DOB and ES82 EPs or else!" :D This is a good choice but one of many. I am glad that on this forum people enjoy scopes of all shapes and sizes.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Why would beginners have to start with something inferior? In AP that is how people waste a ton of money. It is best to not spend anything on beginner gear but start big right away if you can and if you did your homework. And BTW if you want to do AP spend no time or money on visual because it is a waste of time and will teach you nothing useful.

If you want to do AP and are serious about it, don't get an AVX but a CEM60 or Losmandy then buy as much aperture as it can carry and as you can afford. After going through 2 Apos (OK one was a free door prize worth $2500), a RC, a Mak Newt, I finally concluded that alI need is a big 12" Newt with CC and my Mak Newt. If I had done my homework this is how I should have started.

So it depends very much on the person, there is no single pathway that all should follow.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:16 am
If you want to do AP and are serious about it, don't get an AVX but a CEM60 or Losmandy then buy as much aperture as it can carry and as you can afford. After going through 2 Apos (OK one was a free door prize worth $2500), a RC, a Mak Newt, I finally concluded that alI need is a big 12" Newt with CC and my Mak Newt.
Hi, Henk, I get your drift, but a couple of caveats; few people come into astronomy knowing exactly what they was to do. Even fewer come in ready to splash the cash (or be allowed to) to the extent such a set up would require. Finally, how serious you are is a subjective term, I could be extremely serious, just limited by funding or even location.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:16 am Why would beginners have to start with something inferior? In AP that is how people waste a ton of money. It is best to not spend anything on beginner gear but start big right away if you can and if you did your homework. And BTW if you want to do AP spend no time or money on visual because it is a waste of time and will teach you nothing useful.

If you want to do AP and are serious about it, don't get an AVX but a CEM60 or Losmandy then buy as much aperture as it can carry and as you can afford. After going through 2 Apos (OK one was a free door prize worth $2500), a RC, a Mak Newt, I finally concluded that alI need is a big 12" Newt with CC and my Mak Newt. If I had done my homework this is how I should have started.

So it depends very much on the person, there is no single pathway that all should follow.
Yes, Henk, but would idea of buying 12" Newt even cross your mind when you started? And if you did home work researching on forums etc., how many would point you to 12" Newt as a starter EP scope? Before you master the skill, gain experience and figure out what you want, dumping big $$ on equipment will almost never pay off.

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I would say a 4" refractor or an 8" Dob would be Ok to start out with. With young children probably a refractor in this size range would be best.
-Michael