Had a great experience with High Point Scientific

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Had a great experience with High Point Scientific

Post by WahooMike »

A couple of weeks ago I ordered my first telescope, the Celestron NexStar 8SE. I ordered it, along with tons of accessories from Amazon as they had the best pricing. And for professional camera equipment, I have almost exclusively ordered from B&H over the past 23 years.

The other day I decided to call up High Point Scientific to see if they would price match B&H on the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom (out of stock currently with B&H, and more expensive with Amazon). Not only did they match the price, my sales consultant (Isaac) helped me with a ton of questions related to future purchasing. As I will eventually jump into Astrophotography (AP), he helped me figure out which imaging upgrades I would need in the future, like a proper Equatorial Mount (EQ) that will not only work for my 8" telescope tube, but will also work for my Canon EOS1DX DSLR when I want to shoot those amazing wide angle Milky Way images.

Customer service in this country (USA) has deteriorated quite a bit over the last couple of decades, so it was nice to have a kind, generous expert help me through the process. Isaac echoed much of what I've seen in these forums with regard to what NOT to buy, which with this hobby is almost as important as what TO buy. For instance, many have said here not to buy the Celestron Wedge in order to 'doctor' my mount to become an EQ mount for AP. Still, I thought it might be a good stop gap, but Isaac assured me it wasn't. He said that until I can afford an EQ mount, that it's better to use my scope and camera with lesser exposure time (under 30 seconds) and just stack the images, and that this would be as good an option as the Wedge. He said the Wedge, along with my camera, would cause significant balancing issues due to the weight.

Of course, the EQ mount is going to run me about $900 (same cost as the scope itself), but nearly $300 of that would have been my bad 'investment' in the Wedge, so I'll just wait and do the EQ thing properly when I have the money. And maybe it's not a bad idea to get used to stacking and the software processes that come with it, then move on to more advanced imaging later on.

Anyway, long story short is that I was very impressed with the service I received from HPS. I thought other newbies to this hobby might want to know. Experts, who do you typically use for product purchases?
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

Scope & EPs: NexStar 8SE, Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV 8-24 EP (72°)
Filters, Etc: Celestron f6.3 Corrector-Reducer, Orion Variable Polarizing Filter, Celestron 94244 8" Solar Filter
Astro Gear: Canon EOS1D Mark IV, Ioptron Skyguider Pro EQ Mount
Astro Lenses: Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Rokinon 14mm f2.8.
russmax
Mars Ambassador

Re: Had a great experience with High Point Scientific

Post by russmax »

I'm also a High Point Scientific fan, but there's a few things I can only find at Agena Astroproducts.
--Russmax
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I bought a few scopes and accessories from HPS over the years, never had any issues with them. Same goes for Agena.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

I usually order my gear from either Agena Astro or High Point Scientific. I've never had any issues that required me to call, but I've never had any issues with them either. :)

Customer service has gone downhill with quite a few companies. As a former Director for a large call center that was outsourced to support a major wireless carrier I tell you the one reason why...companies don't want to pay for it! "Who can do it the cheapest?" is the name of the game and if you're the guy with the account you have to run things ridiculously lean to make your margins. Things like taking the time to train people correctly or paying them decently for what they do go by the wayside. That's why I got out of the business not long ago!
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Which EQ mount was recommended?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by WahooMike »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:05 pm Which EQ mount was recommended?
I explained that I was looking for a good Eq Mount that would support my 8SE as well as a larger DSLR. He suggested this one...

Celestron AVX
https://www.highpointscientific.com/cel ... ount-91519
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

Filters, Etc: Celestron f6.3 Corrector-Reducer, Orion Variable Polarizing Filter, Celestron 94244 8" Solar Filter
Astro Lenses: Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Rokinon 14mm f2.8.
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

I will tell you that HPS has been my first stop for everything since 2011... their customer service is fantastic... and I will also tell you from ownership experience that the AVX is an awesome mount, but with my 8” Celestron SCT (edge HD) it did not do well. My recommendation would be the Atlas or Skywatcher equivalent for an 8” SCT. Going from the AVX to the Atlas (in my case the NEQ6) was a game changer. If you are dead set in an AVX, you will have far more fun with a 600mm or less refractor. But I regret selling the AVX to this day, it was a wonderful grab and go.

But this is about Highpoint lol. They are indeed a great company that embraces the importance of good customer service- best of luck and clear skies!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Never had any issues with HPS, and in several dealings they treated me right. They resolved a couple of small issues over the years without any questions asked. I can say that Agena has also been excellent as well and I've had no issues with any orders from them.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Glad that you had a good experience. I have not dealt with HPS but I have had good experiences with B&H Photo with regard to mounts.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

B&H Photo sent me an Explore Scientific ED-102mm, single boxed, missing documentation, cracked front lens ( inside damage ) which clearly had been opened and returned by a previous customer. Anyone who has ever shipped anything would have never done so in the box they shipped in.

They promptly replaced it but charged me shipping and took forever to get my credit.

HPS and Agena Astro have been great.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My mount was purchased through B&H but was actually drop-shipped from Explore Scientific in Arkansas. Sorry your experience was not so good.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by WahooMike »

chartram wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:39 pm Going from the AVX to the Atlas (in my case the NEQ6) was a game changer.
Mike
After reading into this, it appears the
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro is a much better choice. But I might need to win the lottery first. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Alt mount for a while. #stacking
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

I usually order things from Agena Astro but have had several excellent dealings with Highpoint as well. Word of mouth goes a long way in this hobby and it behooves the vendors to take care of their customers. If they don't care, they languish. :D

At the company I work for, customer service is taught, demonstrated, and part of the culture from the first day of employment. Customer service is alive and kicking, but sometimes you gotta go looking for it. We've been in business since 1871 and we do ok. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

WahooMike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 am
chartram wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:39 pm Going from the AVX to the Atlas (in my case the NEQ6) was a game changer.
Mike
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro is a much better choice. But I might need to win the lottery first. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Alt mount for a while. #stacking
I was going to make another suggestion as the AVX is a solid mount but it will take no time with your gear to outgrow it.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by WahooMike »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:25 am
WahooMike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 am
Mike
I was going to make another suggestion as the AVX is a solid mount but it will take no time with your gear to outgrow it.

Which mount would you suggest? Thanks.
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)