filter threads?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

filter threads?

Post by murphcc1 »

So whats the best way to screw on the filters on the eye pieces?

Last night I tried using my Celestron filters on the EP's and had a heck of a time getting them on.

They always want to cross thread............shouldn't take 10 minutes to get those little feckers on!!!!!

Any help??
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: filter threads?

Post by yobbo89 »

Not my fortay, but i happen to have a 1.25'' filter and eyepiece sitting around,and my luck it screwed on in less then 1/2 a second, more then likely miss matched machining tolerance has got you with the pair you are trying to mate.

check if the filter screws onto other eyepieces , can you swap out the eyepiece 1.25'' or 2'' (what ever size you have) nose adapter with one the accepts threads more easily. i have a process of deepening threads with a cutting die but it might be out of reach if you haven't got tools.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

One would like to think that there would be some industry standard that would work across brands of filters and eyepieces. While in the majority of cases this seems to work out, there are always a few cases where it does not. There can be a subtle thread pitch variation that makes starting the filter difficult with some brands of eyepieces. There could be a very minute spur or deformation in the thread of either that creates an issue.

At least in the past, Orion's 2" filters were known to have difficulties at times threading into eyepieces or adapters other than Orion's. I believe that was due to a slight variation in the thread starting point. As an example, I have always had issues trying to thread my Orion 2" filters into 2 to 1.25 adapters other than Orion's brand. But a DGM or Baader filter goes on easily for either Orion or the Antares adapters I have. My ES 82 18mm eyepiece has been a particular problem for the Orion filters. Whereas the Baader and DGM thread on fine. Interestingly the ES 82 24mm has never presented a problem with threading on my Orion filters directly. So go figure.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

Well I checked all the filers and eye pieces in the kit, the 17mm, 13mm, and 6mm EP's wont accept the filters, the others will.
So I have an email to the place I bought it to see what we can do about it.
Thanks
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Based on your last post, it sounds like you have one of those Celestron eyepiece and colored filter kits? If that is indeed what you have, they are not known for their high quality. Your get eyepieces you don't really need and the filters are not of significant use either.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

Yea thats what I got with the scope.
Any suggestions for a better kit?
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I moved this topic to a more appropriate area.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

murphcc1 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 pm Yea thats what I got with the scope.
Any suggestions for a better kit?
To be very honest, I do not recommend eyepiece/filter kits. Since it came with the scope and you didn't buy it separately, then obviously you won't be returning it. The biggest problem with kits is that they provide some very short focal length eyepieces, which with your f/10 scope pushed the magnification up pretty high. Also the eye relief in shorter focal length plossls get awfully tight.

I am running under the assumption that it came with 32, 15, 9, 6 and 4mm eyepieces or something similar? The 4mm would be really pushing it except for those ultra-rare nights when seeing is unbelievably stable. Even the 6mm might be problematic at times because of conditions. While these are a very basic eyepiece design, the good side of that is that your f/10 optical design is much more tolerant of more basic eyepiece designs than is my f/5 and f/4.5 dobsonian reflectors.

I am also running under the assumption that the filters in question are colored filters? If so, I am not a strong fan of those. Then again, I rarely observe the planets or moon, being a DSO guy (galaxies in particular). The filters included in these are again of the most basic quality. True planetary observers swear by filters because good ones can pull out some of the more subtle details. Personally I simply never liked the colored tone they add to the image. I had difficulty warming up to a blue Jupiter through a filter. :)

For lunar observation I personally recommend a variable polaraizing filter, such as the one linked below (either 2 inch or 1.25 inch as needed):

https://agenaastro.com/bst-2-variable-t ... ilter.html

https://agenaastro.com/bst-1-25-variabl ... ilter.html

I do utilize filters, but mine are of the nebula and line types (narrow-band, O-III, HaB) for improving contrast with various types of nebulae. All mine are 2 inch since my scopes all have 2 inch focusers. I merely screw them into the bottom of the 2 to 1.25 adapters so they will work with my 1.25 inch eyepieces, or directly into the bottom of the 2 inch models.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.
Alan

murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

Yes it came with the 32, 17, 13, 8 and 6, along with a 26mm that came with the scope and the colored filters, Kodak Wratten #12, #21, #25, #56, #58, and #80A,and the moon filter.
Looking at some Baader EP's.
Not sure about filters yet, I like looking at both planetary and DSO's.
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

You would get a noticeably wider field of view with the Baader's. I am assuming you are talking about Hyperions, which would work nicely in your scope.

Even something like these will do a good job in your scope and widen your field of view. When I've used them, found them to be quite good for the price point and are a good step up from plossls.

https://agenaastro.com/eyepieces/all-ey ... al_ed.html

The Kodak Wrattens should be decent. Here is a filter guide for planetary observation:

https://agenaastro.com/articles/choosin ... ilter.html
Alan

murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

Thanks for all the help!!
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

The Baader filters are good too. The colored ones are useful for planets. The H beta filter is excellent for bringing out emission nebulae. The solar continuum filter is good for bringing out contrast on the Moon and planets when you don't want color.

The problem with cheap filters is dubious optical quality. They need to be really optically flat to avoid degrading the image.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

One quick fix, (maybe), is to try screwing it into the diagonal...
This way you can swap as you like and not worry about removing it each time you want to switch EP's
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

JimMinCT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 pm One quick fix, (maybe), is to try screwing it into the diagonal...
This way you can swap as you like and not worry about removing it each time you want to switch EP's
Yup. All of my filters fit all of my EPs except for my Orion Expanse 15mm. And, of course, I tend to use the 15mm the most often. So if I know I'm going to be swapping EPs around, I usually screw the filter onto the diagonal.

I've read that Orion threads are different by design than othe' EPs, but I don't know if that's accurate.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by murphcc1 »

So it has been confirmed that the threads on the EP's are junk, the place I bought them is sending me 3 new silver barrels.
Thanks for all the help!!
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank