Need Help Please... Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
bernard1981
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Need Help Please... Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ

Post by bernard1981 »

Hi All,

I just got our Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, We set up the entire telescope but are not being able to view anything. Also I have gone through ytube videos and everything written cant seem to figure it out. Also a couple of lenses are not fixed and popping off is this normal ?
can anyone please help? we can do a video call as well. Thx
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Need Help Please... Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ

Post by JayTee »

Did you read this post first? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202

Check it out then get back to us.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I am not understanding what you mean by lenses popping off.
Your telescope uses a primary mirror at the bottom and a smaller secondary near the top that redirects the image to the focuser.
The eyepiece sits in the focuser and should be held in place by a set screw on the side of the focuser drawtube.

One other thing, set the 4mm and 3x barlow aside as they are much to powerful for this telescope and you will have a very hard time finding anything let alone seeing anything with them.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

bernard1981 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:51 am Hi All,

I just got our Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, We set up the entire telescope but are not being able to view anything. Also I have gone through ytube videos and everything written cant seem to figure it out. Also a couple of lenses are not fixed and popping off is this normal ?
can anyone please help? we can do a video call as well. Thx
Hello, and welcome!

I have the same telescope, a 114mm f/8 Newtonian...
kit4c.jpg
kit4c.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
It's a Meade, but it's the same as your Celestron. Both are made in China, perhaps at the same factory even. This is what it looks like on the inside...
kit3.jpg
There's the focusser, at the top on the right. Is that where you're having a problem? If not, is it the eyepiece or eyepieces themselves? I have a Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127EQ, and it came with same eyepieces and barlow that your kit came with...
accessories.jpg
Are you having a problem with one of those? If so, which one?
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
bernard1981
Earth Ambassador

Post by bernard1981 »

Thank you for your reply.
The problem I see is with 3x Barlow Lens - the 2 lenses inside it are so loose that they keep collapsing inside the case.
However, after a few hours of trial n error, my wife was able to setup the telescope for use & it works fine directly with the eyepiece

But yes, we are still wondering if its normal to have these 2 lenses so loosely fit inside the barlow? Thoughts?
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Those lenses being loose is not normal. It sounds like you're barlow's retaining ring that holds them in place either is missing or came loose, but certainly the barlow, in its current state, is defective.

The 20mm and 4mm eyepieces (EPs) that came with your scope should be good enough to use for the next few months. You really don't need that barlow because it completely overpowers your scope especially with the 4mm EP. Get to know your scope with those two eyepieces and continue to ask questions.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

bernard1981 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:51 am I just got our Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, ...
You got some good advice so far. I have the 130EQ. One thing I will say for Celestron is that they have great customer service. Reach out to them about the Barlow lens problem.

I agree that the 20mm will be your best lens.You are looking at 50X which is plenty for most of the things you want to see and probably too much to get the whole Moon in view. Right now, the Moon is going to be too bright to look at. And the full moon will get in the way of a lot of sky. However, you should be able to find the Pleiades and the Orion Nebula easily enough and they will be rewarding.

Welcome to a fascinating life-long hobby.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

When viewing start with the eyepiece with the largest number, this is your low power eyepiece.
Get used to finding and locating objects using it as you will be able to find targets easier and keep them in view.
When you increase the magnification by using the higher power eyepiece you are also looking through a much smaller field of view (FOV) so it can be difficult to find and keep a object in view at first.
As I said in my other posting, just set the 4mm and barlow aside for now until you get used to using the equipment.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

bernard1981 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:03 am Thank you for your reply.
The problem I see is with 3x Barlow Lens - the 2 lenses inside it are so loose that they keep collapsing inside the case.
However, after a few hours of trial n error, my wife was able to setup the telescope for use & it works fine directly with the eyepiece

But yes, we are still wondering if its normal to have these 2 lenses so loosely fit inside the barlow? Thoughts?
That barlow that comes with the kit is not very good. I have another one that came with my Meade, and it imparted false-colour to the view. Newtonians are not supposed to exhibit false-colour. That's why Newton developed the design, and to get away from the refractors of his age. At most, with that telescope, a 2x-barlow would be enough.

You've got a good telescope, the spherical primary-mirror at 1/5th-wave, but the eyepieces and accessories are not so much, save the 4mm if you that one. I've tested the ones that have come with my Celestron and Meade kits, and the only decent one is the 4mm that came with the Celestron, but that one would not be used that often. If you have that Celestron 4mm, keep it in a safe place, as it will work very well with your telescope when needed. The 20mm erect-image eyepiece, if you have that one, is not very good for observing at night. It was designed and is best suited for use during the day; birds in trees, ships at sea, that sort of thing.

GSO Plossls are of very good quality, and reasonably priced...

http://www.tejraj.com/gso-plossl-eyepieces.html

I would suggest the 32mm and 12mm from that listing, along with the "GSO 2X Achromatic BARLOW LENS" from this listing...

http://www.tejraj.com/barlow-lenses.html

There is also the "2X BARLOW LENS Skywatcher1.25" from that listing to consider. You won't ever need a 3x-barlow for that particular telescope, as it already has a long focal-length(900mm).

It's important to note that that GSO barlow may have a removable lens-cell, the black portion at the bottom of the barrel, and for attaching to any eyepiece for a 1.5x multiplier. That would give you more options for differing powers. But there is one thing about that one. I have read where someone had dropped their lens-cell onto concrete, and where the lenses cracked to pieces. Therefore, you have to be very careful with that type of barlow.

A barlow is good for a number of things. One of those is in transforming two or three eyepieces into four or six powers, magnifications; for economy.

I don't barlow any eyepiece longer than a 12mm(20mm, 32mm, 40mm), myself. To me, a barlow is for achieving the higher powers. A barlow is good for that, too.

These are wide-angle eyepieces that would work very well with your telescope, but only those with 1.25" barrels...

http://www.tejraj.com/gso-superview-eyepieces.html

I would suggest the GSO SuperView 20mm 1.25" wide-angle from that listing. I have that one, and the 32mm Plossl from the first listing, both, and they're of very good quality, yet inexpensive. That is, inexpensive compared to other brands and types of eyepieces out there in the marketplace.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

To explain further as to my use of a barlow, I have this 4mm eyepiece...
4mm Orthoscopic7b.jpg
4mm Orthoscopic7b.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
It has a very small eye-lens through which to observe. Also, the eye-relief is very tight, and to where you'd need to place your eye to where it almost touches the eyepiece, and touches it even, in order to see the full field-of-view.

Instead, I combine this 12mm eyepiece with a 3x-barlow...
12mm-3xc.jpg
12mm-3xc.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
12mm ÷ 3x = a simulated 4mm eyepiece (225x)

I then have a larger eye-lens through which to observe, and I don't have to hold my eye so close to the eyepiece, as the eye-relief is extended, lengthened, with that combination; much more comfortable it is.

In so far as Plossls, try to resist choosing anything shorter than a 9mm(100x), like a 4mm or a 6mm, as those have small eye-lenses and short eye-relief as well.

bernard1981
Earth Ambassador

Post by bernard1981 »

Thank you everyone for your detailed replies.. Truly appreciate it!

So, yes, looks like the retaining ring of my Barlow has some issue as the multiple lenses inside it are so loosely fit that they keep falling off :(
Naturally, I'm away from it ... and we've notified the seller about it. Awaiting to hear from them.

Meanwhile, as recommended by most of you, I am trying to use only the 4mm eyepiece with the 20mm lens ( [mention]JayTee[/mention] )
I then aligned the crosshairs on the finder on Moon today, but the exact view is not really found when I look through eyepeice.
So, I removed the eyepiece to look through aligned the moon position manually and then fixed the eyepeice ... that's when I was able to spot the moon, but only as a huge blob of white ... though the edges of moon were visible... as dots.

probably focus issue?
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Your telescope has a focal length of 900 mm and aperture of 114 mm. Dividing the first one by the second gives 7.89, approximately 8. That is the focal ratio of your scope. Keep that number in mind.

To determine the magnification of the scope with a given eyepiece, divide the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the EP. Thus, your 20 mm EP gives 45x. The 4mm gives 225x.

However, 225x is too much magnification for your scope. Theoretically, your scope is capable of that, but only under perfect viewing conditions, and those are rare. A realistic USEFUL maximum magnification with that scope is going to be around 110x. That's why people are telling you to set the 4mm EP aside for the time being. 99% of the time, the atmospheric conditions will not support that much power. There may come a night with perfect seeing when you can use it.

You will want to choose some different eyepieces. You may want to get a 32mm Plossl for low-power, wide-field views at 28x. I regularly use a 17.3mm EP in my 480mm focal length scope for 27x. Good viewing is not all about trying for the most magnification.

But for the planets especially, you WILL want more magnification. When choosing eyepieces, a good rule of thumb is not to use an EP with focal length of less than the focal ratio, f/8, of your scope. If you choose an 8 mm EP, it will give you 112x, which is about the maximum usefulness. You may find you prefer something like 70x or 80x. A 12 mm ep will give you 75x. I often enjoy a 7mm EP in my 480mm scope for 68x. I would rather have a smaller but sharp, crisp, bright view of Saturn than see it as a big, dim, blob.

I need to say one other thing here. You said "I am trying to use only the 4mm EP with the 20mm lens." I don't know if you mis-typed that or you meant to say that you are trying to use those two eyepieces together somehow, that you are literally using the 4 mm WITH the 20 mm. If you are trying to combine those two eyepieces, that is wrong. They are intended to be used separately, one at a time. Sorry if that isn't what you are doing, but since you are having trouble focusing, I needed to mention it.

Here are my suggestions for getting started. Go out in the daytime and point your scope toward a prominent distant object, like a cell tower. Use your 20 mm EP (If you get a 32mm, use that one) Take your time centering the object in the scope. Once you have it, then adjust your finder scope so that the object is centered. Now you can point the finder scope at the Moon and the Moon will be in view in your main scope EP. Now you can focus the scope until the Moon is sharp.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Sorry, for not making myself clear, so, let me elaborate further.

Put the 4mm eyepiece in a drawer. Do not take it out until you have a telescope with a much shorter focal length.

Cheers,
JT

Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

JayTee wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:20 pm Sorry, for not making myself clear, so, let me elaborate further.

Put the 4mm eyepiece in a drawer. Do not take it out until you have a telescope with a much shorter focal length.

Cheers,
JT
Yep. Can it be that we are sometimes hesitant to make strong, unequivocal statements like that because we are somehow afraid that someone will come along to contradict us with a report on how they made a DIY scope out of an old bathroom hand mirror and a cardboard tube, and used a cheap 4 mm .965 EP in it and saw good details on Mars at 450x? Maybe that's just me...
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Voyageur wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:11 pmYep. Can it be that we are sometimes hesitant to make strong, unequivocal statements like that because we are somehow afraid that someone will come along to contradict us with a report on how they made a DIY scope out of an old bathroom hand mirror and a cardboard tube, and used a cheap 4 mm .965 EP in it and saw good details on Mars at 450x? Maybe that's just me...
Hi Mary,
Most of the experienced posters (and there are quite a few) on this site know that in a lot of cases there really is a right way and a wrong way to accomplish a stated goal. My 54 years of observing experiences have taught me many more "wrong" ways than right. Let's let our experience count for something. Actually that's what they pay us for, right... :lol:

So if somebody wants to deviate 3 standard deviations away from the norm - I say go for it and let us know how it turned out.

Cheers,
JT

Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

JayTee wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm
Voyageur wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:11 pmYep. Can it be that we are sometimes hesitant to make strong, unequivocal statements like that because we are somehow afraid that someone will come along to contradict us with a report on how they made a DIY scope out of an old bathroom hand mirror and a cardboard tube, and used a cheap 4 mm .965 EP in it and saw good details on Mars at 450x? Maybe that's just me...
Hi Mary,
Most of the experienced posters (and there are quite a few) on this site know that in a lot of cases there really is a right way and a wrong way to accomplish a stated goal. My 54 years of observing experiences have taught me many more "wrong" ways than right. Let's let our experience count for something. Actually that's what they pay us for, right... :lol:

So if somebody wants to deviate 3 standard deviations away from the norm - I say go for it and let us know how it turned out.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks, JT. I know I've learned so much from paying attention to experienced people like you on this forum. There is no substitute for developing experience oneself, but the next best thing is to pay attention to experienced people, especially the highly-paid moderators here . :Astronomer1:
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

bernard1981 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:36 pm Thank you everyone for your detailed replies.. Truly appreciate it!

So, yes, looks like the retaining ring of my Barlow has some issue as the multiple lenses inside it are so loosely fit that they keep falling off :(
Naturally, I'm away from it ... and we've notified the seller about it. Awaiting to hear from them.

Meanwhile, as recommended by most of you, I am trying to use only the 4mm eyepiece with the 20mm lens ( @JayTee )
I then aligned the crosshairs on the finder on Moon today, but the exact view is not really found when I look through eyepeice.
So, I removed the eyepiece to look through aligned the moon position manually and then fixed the eyepeice ... that's when I was able to spot the moon, but only as a huge blob of white ... though the edges of moon were visible... as dots.

probably focus issue?

The 4mm that came with your kit, and my own, performed wonderfully with my Celestron 127EQ, a "Bird Jones" no less, and with a longer focal-length(1000mm @ 250x) than that of your own telescope(900mm @ 225x)...
071119 - bundled 4mm3.jpg
That's just a little snapshot I took through the 4mm using that telescope...
finis2b.jpg
finis2b.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
The live view, with my right eye, was sharper, of course, therefore no need to wait to use it with a telescope with a shorter focal-length.

You'll need to shim the holder of the finder-scope to make it easier to align...
accessories2b.jpg
accessories2b.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
You can use masking-type tape even, about 1/2" wide. You want the little scope to fit snugly, not too tightly, nor loosely. You will then find it much easier to adjust with the three screws at the back of the holder, and align it much more easily with the telescope.

Even that 20mm erecting-eyepiece should be throwing up a sharp view of the Moon, but only if the telescope is collimated. I suspect that that may be your problem, although that's unusual for an f/8 Newtonian, but stranger things have happened. To rule out the 20mm erecting-eyepiece causing the problem, you may want to get a 20mm Plossl or the 20mm "SuperView" from Teraj.

Collimation tutorials for a Newtonian abound online; for example...

https://garyseronik.com/a-beginners-gui ... llimation/

It helps to center-spot the primary-mirror beforehand... https://garyseronik.com/centre-dotting- ... ry-mirror/

Then, there's the no-tools and no-spot procedure...

https://garyseronik.com/no-tools-telescope-collimation/

bernard1981
Earth Ambassador

Post by bernard1981 »

Thank you 👍🏼

Update: Just using my 4mm eyepiece, I was finally able to spot Moon in its full glory! it was so majestic!

But the only problem now is the telescope assembly isn't too sturdy. I still need to figure out how to keep it steady.
Should figure that soon!

I've contacted the seller for replacing the barlow, he too suspects its faulty.
Let's see how that goes.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Voyageur wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:11 pm Yep. Can it be that we are sometimes hesitant to make strong, unequivocal statements like that because we are somehow afraid that someone will come along to contradict us with a report on how they made a DIY scope out of an old bathroom hand mirror and a cardboard tube, and used a cheap 4 mm .965 EP in it and saw good details on Mars at 450x? Maybe that's just me...
This is such a great statement, and happens all to frequently on some sites.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

bernard1981 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:48 pm Thank you 👍🏼

Update: Just using my 4mm eyepiece, I was finally able to spot Moon in its full glory! it was so majestic!

But the only problem now is the telescope assembly isn't too sturdy. I still need to figure out how to keep it steady.
Should figure that soon!

I've contacted the seller for replacing the barlow, he too suspects its faulty.
Let's see how that goes.
Get them to replace it with a 2x barlow as the 3x is way to much power for this telescope if you feel you need one.