Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: let me see your guide graphs!

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:03 pm
mactech wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:00 pm yeah i hear that the avx is a tricky one which usually needs a heck of a tune.
I was able to get the best guiding after using the polar alignment feature, but it sure it time consuming. The slew rate can be increased but it reduce accuracy. This was after using the polar scope to get initial alignment and it was around 5' 30" off. Obviously I need better initial PA with the scope too.

Is 1'44" good for polar error? Seems still a bit high to me. I noted where the polar scope was after the final alignment as compared to the starting point and it wasn't that much.

What kind of additional tuning needs or can be done to the AVX? I've seen PEC mentioned but never looked into what's involved.
Steve,

I am not familiar with your software, but if you get guiding values similar to your posted graphic on a routine basis, personally, I wouldn’t change a thing. My guiding is usually challenging and as JT said, it is always better In the northern part of the sky.
Sometimes, I will shoot an image or two where the total arcsec rms error in PHD is under 1”. That is rare though. If I am between 1.2” and 1.5”, I am happy. From what I’ve read, this is typical performance from an AVX.

I have removed the two brass drive gears on both axis, buffed with a tooth brush and polishing compound and adjusted the clearance to minimum (no binding). I reduced tension on the RA axis so that it swings freely. I have tried pec, but it made little difference.
I am sure that I have some flexure, but I don’t fee like tackling another round of cable management right now.

I am very happy with the mount and can live with the guiding. I get pretty decent stars even when I am having a rough night.

For PA, I use Sharpcap. That is all that I use Sharpcap for. I have some bricks set in the ground to set the tripod legs on so I don’t use the polar scope anymore. Takes about 5 minutes to get 1-1 1/2”. I believe you are okay with up to 3” of PA error.

Didn’t mean to get long winded! Just my take!

Jim
Since I got the polar scope it has had runs like this and sometimes better and worse. I found that doing 2-3 plate solves seemed to improve tracking and I've spent more time balancing. I know I can achieve better initial alignment and use their PA slew function to attain better consistency. The bricks I placed in the ground are moving considerably depending on the overnight temps with the ground freezing. You don't have to worry about that.

I just purchased an i7-16GB-512SSD Windows laptop and will be integrating that into my workflow along with an update to RPi4 ( raspberry pi 4 ). The KStars EKOS software interface works best with a mouse/real keyboard and using the iPad interface didn't cut it for me but I am not fond of tablets. I want to use the same popular tools on the laptop too.

The PC will connect via Wifi to the raspberryPi as a hotspot using VNC, or similar screen sharing. The update to RPi4 was $65 with 4GB RAM and it will be here soon. The advantage there will be USB3 support and more memory. The RPi3 has some shortcomings with doing everything at once, such as live video from the DSLR while guiding, saving images to SD card. Removing the DSLR and changing to an AP camera will only make it worse. You can't buy a laptop with a built-in ethernet port, so I need to find USB solutions for data transfer using real wires.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

mactech wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:00 pm yeah i hear that the avx is a tricky one which usually needs a heck of a tune.
What kind of additional tuning needs or can be done to the AVX? I've seen PEC mentioned but never looked into what's involved.
The main problem is the cog gears to the worm gears, error on the small end, the avx is similar to the eq6 spec wise, there's a 3rd party belt mod kit for the eq6 but pretty sure one was never made for the avx, you can buy off the shelf components with the correct amount of teeth to mod an avx but this puts the gear rotation in reverse and the only way to fix it is to wire the motors back to front, not owning a avx but looking at it spec wise i believe it could of gotten the same appraisal in performance as the eq6 if a kit was built for it.

as far as tuning goes most people adjust the gear meshing (there should be adjustment screws), and back lash in software.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

The heq5 got three cogs and with a belt mod you just remove one of the cogs and it will work as usual.
TS-optics photoline 115mm triplet + 1.0x flattener
Guiding: qhy5lll APM 50mm guidescope
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Mount: heq5 Rowan mod
Zwo EAF focuser
Programs: APT, DSS, PIxinsight, Nebulosity3, Phd2, CDC Eqmod
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

mactech wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:54 pm
Since I got the polar scope it has had runs like this and sometimes better and worse. I found that doing 2-3 plate solves seemed to improve tracking and I've spent more time balancing. I know I can achieve better initial alignment and use their PA slew function to attain better consistency. The bricks I placed in the ground are moving considerably depending on the overnight temps with the ground freezing. You don't have to worry about that.

I just purchased an i7-16GB-512SSD Windows laptop and will be integrating that into my workflow along with an update to RPi4 ( raspberry pi 4 ). The KStars EKOS software interface works best with a mouse/real keyboard and using the iPad interface didn't cut it for me but I am not fond of tablets. I want to use the same popular tools on the laptop too.

The PC will connect via Wifi to the raspberryPi as a hotspot using VNC, or similar screen sharing. The update to RPi4 was $65 with 4GB RAM and it will be here soon. The advantage there will be USB3 support and more memory. The RPi3 has some shortcomings with doing everything at once, such as live video from the DSLR while guiding, saving images to SD card. Removing the DSLR and changing to an AP camera will only make it worse. You can't buy a laptop with a built-in ethernet port, so I need to find USB solutions for data transfer using real wires.
Man, that sure sounds like plenty of laptop! No built-in ethernet port? My i5 Dell is about 5-6 years old and it does have one. They must have gone the way of the cdrom drive (mine has one of those too).

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:17 pm
Man, that sure sounds like plenty of laptop! No built-in ethernet port? My i5 Dell is about 5-6 years old and it does have one. They must have gone the way of the cdrom drive (mine has one of those too).

Thanks,
Jim
Yeah, no CDROM either. There are no laptops sold at BestBuy that have built-in ethernet ports. Apple got rid of them in the last 2 years as well. You can get USB3 adaptors for ethernet and most everything else.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11