How to combine RGB with HOO narrowband in PI?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Stuart United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

How to combine RGB with HOO narrowband in PI?

Post by Stuart »

Hi all,
Working with an image (not ready to post yet). It's a planetary nebula that has a lot of Ha and O3, and I have LRGB as well as Ha and O3 data. Here is a process by multiple APOD award winning astrophotographer Steve Mazlin. http://ourcolorfulcosmos.com/mazlin/wp- ... S-9O94_6NM

I am one of his partners and I am working with exactly the same data, but in PI I can't seem to get his result--mine is greener than his. (He is an exclusive Photoshop user).

I have used the NBRGB script both in linear and nonlinear, but I can't seem to squeeze the right color out.

So my question for everybody is how do you combine narrowband, specifically HOO narrowband with broadband data? Do you do it linear or nonlinear? Do you use the NBRGB script or do you have your own Pixelmath expression? IF you do nonlinear, do you do LRGB combination first?

I'm not sure if there is any one answer to this, but it's worth an ask.
Stuart
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
JimMinCT United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How to combine RGB with HOO narrowband in PI?

Post by JimMinCT »

I use the AIP SHO script that PI stopped including in the build after one of the upgrades.
It didn't conform to one of their specs, and they couldn't contact the original author to get an updated version, IIRC...
I'm attaching it here. unzip it into the scripts folder and add it in the scripts/feature scripts.

It's still the best, most complete way to combine data I've seen yet.
Good Luck!
AIP-Multichannel.zip
(89.59 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Stuart United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How to combine RGB with HOO narrowband in PI?

Post by Stuart »

Thanks JimMin! I have the script. I'll try the other one, though.
I have another idea, I've been playing around with the SCNR with some masking.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.