Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

How Does A Barlow Increase Eye Relief?

Post by Refractordude »

Example

If I barlow a 10mm eyepiece with an eye relief of 8mm, how much more eye relief will I get?

Thanks to you all
Attachments
image.PNG
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: How Does A Barlow Increase Eye Relief?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

This is NOT an easy question to answer since it depends of the designs of the Barlow lens and the eyepiece involved.

Only a design like the TeleVue Powermates will preserve the placement of the exit pupil and therefore the eye relief is my understanding. So if you're using an eyepiece that has a native 8mm eye relief that should be what you get (approximately) with all of the Powermates.

With a classic Barlow you get a little more eye relief maybe 9-11mm. Maybe more. It depends on details.

I've not desired to go into the weeds on this. From a practical POV with a Powermate I put my eye where I usually put it. With a classic Barlow I know I'll get more eye relief. But as a practical matter for an 8mm eye relief ocular I'd just start at 8mm and back off.

On CN there was a post on this topic with formulas specific to various Barlows. FWIW it's here:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4857 ... ye-relief/

I'm not going to bother since I regard this as lily gilding. I prefer to assume the eye relief is roughly the same and go from there.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

I'm reading the text in the attachment as saying that you 'increase' the eye relief because...
A 20mm eyepiece will have a longer eye relief than a 10mm eyepiece (typically at least)
A 20mm eyepiece used with a barlow will have a longer eye relief than a 10mm eyepiece without one (ditto)
so using a 20mm eyepiece with a barlow will give the same magnification as a 10mm, but with more eye relief (usual caveats apply!)

I was not aware that barlowing an eyepiece would change its eye relief - so thanks nFA, for the info.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have found that using a barlow if it does increase eye relief it is a slight amount as nFA has posted above.

Some people find it an advantage to use a barlow with eyepieces under around 10mm as the eye relief starts getting shorter so using a barlowed 20mm as a 10mm with the 20mm eye relief.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm I have found that using a barlow if it does increase eye relief it is a slight amount as nFA has posted above.

Some people find it an advantage to use a barlow with eyepieces under around 10mm as the eye relief starts getting shorter so using a barlowed 20mm as a 10mm with the 20mm eye relief.
Yep, my 10mm is a barlowed 20mm.