Uth oh?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Uth oh?

Post by UlteriorModem »

Recently I have noticed all of my images have a 'glow' on the right hand side.

I suspected the calibration frames so I processed it with no calibration and the glow was still there if not worse

Now granted the master dark was a 300 second duration and had to be 'optimized' when applied to the 180 second light frames. The darks were quite recent. I don't have a 180 sec 139/21 dark … yet.

Still I don't think that a corresponding dark is going to solve this problem and frankly suspect the camera. But I could be wrong.

I also thought it might have something to do with the narrow band filter so I swapped it out for the lum / ir cut filter and still have the same thing. With a brand new dust bunny to boot :D

Here is a more or less 'raw' image only stretched, no other processing was done.

ImageGlow by Tom Whit, on Flickr

That of course is M45 or a piece of it. Pretty sure there is no red nebulosity around there.

Any ideas?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Re: Uth oh?

Post by fatboy1271 »

Nice wisps, if anything!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Thanks this was one panel of a 4 panel mosaic. But that glow will not play well with the gradient merge.
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Here is another example. This time the lights were 300 second duration which matches the dark duration so no optimization.

This is in a much darker region of sky but you can see glow all around the image but most prominently to the right.

ImageExample 2 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

ps I plan to crop and process this tiny very cool little galaxy :D I noticed it when doing a framing mosaic and the stock image showed a little galaxy in it. I will process it and put it through astrometry later. New thread in Images. Stay tuned :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yup, you got a "red" side and a "not red" side. In the past, we would almost always attribute this to amp glow, but nowadays, I don't know anymore. Following this thread closely.

Sorry you're having issues,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Following along too, have you posed the question elsewhere?
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Jennifer Christine
Moon Ambassador

Post by Jennifer Christine »

I'd say amp glow too.
Or battery glow if your battery is to one side.
Try putting a spare battery in the fridge and swapping it in between frames.
Scopes, 100x900, 102x500, 150x 1000, 200x2000, 200x 1260. 80x400.
Canon lenses 100 to 400 L series, 18 to 135 usm.
Mount's, 2x alt az, 2 x eq (adventurer an neq6pro.)
70dw cam. Ssag guider. Observatory and pier setup.
Binoculars Saxon 20x80.
FRIED wallet.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

No it's not battery glow. That much is for certain :D

This is an ASI1600mc cooled to -20C ;)

I have not had a chance to ask elsewhere yet. Might post on the Pixinsight forums for some opinions.

BTW I looked it up and the warranty on the camera ran out in October.... of course.
Tom

Current Equipment:
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

I have a very similar glow on the right side of my ZWO1600 mono as well.
mine is two distinct areas of glow, but almost identical in size to yours.
I've learned to use PixInsight's dynamic background extractor to remove most of it. Darks don't touch it, whatever it is.
Good Luck!
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

There is some red/brown nebulosity there but it should not extend below the horizontal row of stars below the center, https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... 2,6&sim=11
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I have been doing a little research on this and it appears to be a common issue to the ASI1600 both the mono and osc.

One thing I have learned is that you should NOT calibrate dark frames as it tries to average out the background levels making things worse.

I made a new set of darks with the appropriate duration, offset, gain and applied those. It made a slight improvement as the darks did not have to be scaled but as mentioned darks dont seem to do much with it. Though I did one run without any calibration and it was horrible! So the calibration do help to some extent.

Thanks for the link Henk, I have never noticed that colored region in any image of M45 I have seen before. Maybe some of it is actual signal? Though it does not explain it showing up on the galaxy image.

I am going to shoot a new set of flats tonight since it will be cloudy anyhow and I need a fresh set for the UV/IR cut filter.

I will post back results afterwards.

Thanks for the help so far!
Tom

Current Equipment:
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

could be sky glow which is showing dominant in the lower signal area of the target.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I ran thru some of my recent 1600mc shots and do not see this color glow. So it is not generic to the camera, at least not mine. So, I am mystified and will follow your investigation closely in case this shows up in my camera. Of, course there is a lot of amp glow with this camera and this has been subtracted with darks in my shots, but I do not apply a bias cal to any of my cameras, haven't seen any advantage, only pain.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 pm could be sky glow which is showing dominant in the lower signal area of the target.
Why is it red?

Getting ready to collect the flats, then the flat darks. Another hour or two (after I put everything away).
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Okay got a new set of calibrated flats to go with the darks I got yesterday.

Applied those and it is better, I 'think'.

A background extraction helps but still :p

ImageNew Calibration by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Now to try to put this mosaic together :)
Tom

Current Equipment: