Discuss Celestron mounts.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Stop moving Dammit!

Post by Astroglide65 »

Hello everybody,
I have a Celestron AVX mount, the last two time out I've had a problem. I power up, move to the index marks, yadda, yadda, yadda. Once I've done the final step ASPA I enter in my first target. It slews to the target so I go to PHD2 and set up there, pick a star and start guiding. Back to Sharpcap where I'm setting up the camera to begin setting up for exposure times. Looking at the sreen with 2 second exposure time the stars a drifting N to S. I look at PHD2 the RA line is taking a dive.......so I watch the stars there. Same thing they are drifting. I decided after awhile to just restart the mount and try again. Power up, yadda, yadda, selected previous alignment. Everything seemed to be settled down now and running smoothly. Tonight it was Deja Vu all over again except power off/back on didn't seem to help. Tonight turned out a bad night to be out anyway so I packed it up and came in.

Anybody had this problem before? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks,
Dano

P.S. I was running off of a freshly charged power pack.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Stop moving Dammit!

Post by bladekeeper »

Sounds like backlash to me.

Try to approach your imaging target (your final movements to center) using the up and right buttons on the hand controller. This way your RA and Dec gears stay loaded.

If you have to use your down and left arrow keys, you are taking the load off the gears so the mount will remain idle until the gears mesh again. This allows the field to drift for a few seconds. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Two things that might help with PHD2 is to: 1) redo your calibration and always remember to slew for a few seconds to the north (use the UP button on your HC) BEFORE you start the calibration. 2) Always run the Guiding Assistant (GA) AFTER the Cal plus start guiding before you run the GA, it will provide a ton of useful information, like how big your min move needs to be.

Hope this helps,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Thanks, I always do the up/right to center a star and tried to re-do Calibration and GA. Like always it had the AVX DEC backlash. Neither helped. Last week it was running so smooth, PHD2 ran like silk but it is poop now.

Dano
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Astroglide65 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:35 pm Thanks, I always do the up/right to center a star and tried to re-do Calibration and GA. Like always it had the AVX DEC backlash. Neither helped. Last week it was running so smooth, PHD2 ran like silk but it is poop now.

Dano
I had similar issues and found the RA clutch knob was hitting the plastic motor/gears cover when slewing to the NE.

You can hear the difference in the tracking motors when you do the up-right arrow combination ( maybe not outside ).
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Last night I tried again got the same results. Did everything by the book even reset to factory settings. Slewed to the moon it seemed to be stable, slewed to Altair and after a few minutes it still drifted.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Astroglide65 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm Last night I tried again got the same results. Did everything by the book even reset to factory settings. Slewed to the moon it seemed to be stable, slewed to Altair and after a few minutes it still drifted.
So after a factory reset, the Moon remains in the FOV and no movement, yet Altair drifts? That sounds like the incorrect tracking speed, as if you are on lunar and not sidereal.

Do you have SharpCap configured to control the mount? If so, what tracking speed is SharpCap set at?

Just shooting spit balls here. This is very strange indeed.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Are you getting a rocking motion? Do a live view on the camera without auto guiding and and zoom in on a star. Sometimes having the wrong exposure length can give rocking from chasing the seeing, but usually only shown with short durations ie 1 sec and under.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

I'll check the tracking speed tonight. No Sharpcap isn't controlling the mount but I may give CPWI control and see how that goes. I deleted the set up in PHD2 and put it back in and did the dark shots. Will see tonight. No it doesn't appear to be rocking, it slowly moves to the right on the screen. Could the HC be the problem? Is there an update on the firmware available?

I have little hair left........
Dano
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Another tip from an AVX user... When balancing the RA, make it a tiny bit "East heavy'". That's an old indian trick to keep the gearing snugged up.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I would try setting your mount to the index marks by releasing each clutch before you power up the mount.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Are the gears too tight? Maybe the steppers experience too much friction. Mechanical things can happen sometimes and sometimes not. Open it up and check and loosen the worm gears if needed. Other than that, assuming you set DST and location correctly, I would double check the power, there are plenty of cheap jump starters that should work great. If you have the gears opened up that's also a good opportunity to set the backlash compensation, works like a charm. Don't give up, a mount is a straightforward piece of gear and the AVX is very good for the money.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

East heavy....yup done that.
Index marks.....yup I center then up then power up and center them again each time.
Gears are fine, I just recently took out some slop but made sure I didn't go to far.
DST is turned off and after Factory Reset Time, Location etc. double checked.
Power doesn't seem to be the problem, fresh charged and had experienced slow loss of power from dying battery before. The sound of gears turning is same pitch and no sound of dragging. I did hear something I never heard before. I was calibrating PHD2 again and as it did the backlash ting I heard "click,click,click about 10 times sounding like it came from DEC.
Going camping tonight and tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everybody,
Dano
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

I've had this same issue to a certain degree with all my Celestron mounts... Very annoying.
One solution I've found that seems to just about always work... Using the hand controller, scroll to tracking. turn it off. Just for a few seconds. watch the screen while you do this and you can confirm the star movement picks up. then restart in North tracking, (or South depending on your hemisphere of choice). That usually fixes it. It's almost like the mount loses its mind for a second.
I agree it could be backlash, but the settings would have to be very high, (>40 or so) to cause that kind of continual movement, I would think.
Hope this helps!
Cheers
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

JimMinCT wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm I've had this same issue to a certain degree with all my Celestron mounts... Very annoying.
One solution I've found that seems to just about always work... Using the hand controller, scroll to tracking. turn it off. Just for a few seconds. watch the screen while you do this and you can confirm the star movement picks up. then restart in North tracking, (or South depending on your hemisphere of choice). That usually fixes it. It's almost like the mount loses its mind for a second.
I agree it could be backlash, but the settings would have to be very high, (>40 or so) to cause that kind of continual movement, I would think.
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Thank you so much, can't wait till I have the problem again 'cause now I have a remedy!
Dano