telescope build

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: telescope build

Post by OleCuss »

You might consider visiting a farm supply store. You might find something intended to feed or water animals which is big enough?

Another thought would be to check in a store which sells water heaters and the like (some place like Lowe's). They sometimes have a rather large diameter "pan". They typically have a hole cut in the side but you may simply be able to tape over the hole and use it for that purpose - but they may not be as deep as you might want.

Worst case you make a wooden frame and line it with plastic sheeting.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

OleCuss wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:35 am You might consider visiting a farm supply store. You might find something intended to feed or water animals which is big enough?
Perhaps one of these might just be on the edge of roughly large enough?
https://www.agrisupply.com/sheep-tank-2 ... /p/110052/
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Just put it in a tub/tank of water to measure it's volume with displacement if the shape is to complex?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

Okay, so.
Each mirror (24") displaced 15,150 ml water and they each weigh in at 90 lbs. So I calculate the density at 2.69 gr/cc which means they are most certainly Al.

Now I need to do the foucault test to see about the curve and also start researching how to grind and/or polish Al.
bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

Is 90 lbs a reasonable weight for a mirror? I hoped to be able to go up the mountain here (9500 ') and set up.
I'm going to start reading about dobsonian designs.

Thanks so much all you searchers for sharing your knowledge and experience. What a great thing the internet can be!
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

bobsorenson wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 pm Is 90 lbs a reasonable weight for a mirror? I hoped to be able to go up the mountain here (9500 ') and set up.
I'm going to start reading about dobsonian designs.

Thanks so much all you searchers for sharing your knowledge and experience. What a great thing the internet can be!
I hope you don't plan to hike up the mountain with it! ;)

That is quite heavy: in my mind I was thinking that aluminium is light-weight, but 1cc of glass weighs around 1.6g: a lot less! An equivalent glass blank would weigh 55 lbs...

This will impact on your mirror-cell design in order to avoid flexure. There are a lot of ideas out there about mirror cells and supports to try to minimise flexure, but they all relate to glass mirrors. I would assume that a multi-point support with 9 points spread over 3 triangles should be OK, but I'll leave that to the experts.

At least you wont have to worry about adding counter-weights to offset a heavy secondary cage!

Have fun, and all the best.

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

The biggest problem in polishing I think will be the temperature (it can warp the curvature). I know that for example for stainless steel there is already chemical reaction polishing (soaking in a chemical bath) instead of mechanical action (rubbing with diamond paste).
It is a question of whether something similar already exists for aluminum.
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

Marcelo, thank you.
I have been looking for info from people who have experience grinding/polishing Al mirrors without sucess so far, but I will continue.
Lots and lots of knowledge available about glass etc but no hands on experience with metal mirrors. Same situation with design and build of a 24" dob with a 80 lb mirror.
Not complaining here of course, just searching for know how and trying to make a sensible plan.
bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

after corresponding with a person who has years of experience making mirrors for the military, I've come to the conclusion that the mirrors I have will not be suitable for an optical telescope. They were probably made for lasers and cannot be made to be accurate enough for visible light.

thanks to all for the input and information. I will likely use them for some solar concentrator project.
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Post by OleCuss »

Darn it! I had hopes for this potential build!
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

bobsorenson wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:34 am after corresponding with a person who has years of experience making mirrors for the military, I've come to the conclusion that the mirrors I have will not be suitable for an optical telescope. They were probably made for lasers and cannot be made to be accurate enough for visible light.

thanks to all for the input and information. I will likely use them for some solar concentrator project.
Sooo....

Can we still build a death star?

Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

I have come across some information as to how grinding and polishing solid Al mirrors can be done (and has been done) by amateur makers. So I will be proceeding with the project after all!

I am in hopes that the original figure of the mirrors is somewhat intact and that if I am careful, I may be able to avoid significant refiguring. This approach will require testing of the mirror concurrent with the work on the surface, so I will be building a Foucault/Ronchi unit to enable progress in the right direction.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Bob,

This is great news. Perhaps you could start another thread over at The DIY Corner -- ATM forum. I know a lot of us will be very interested in your progress reports, don't forget pictures. Also I know we're all rooting for you to successfully accomplish this Herculean task.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

JT, thNks for the encouraging words.
I'll be spending a few days getting testing equipment ready and procuring materials for polishing etc. Plus a test stand for an eighty lb mirror!
When I get closer I'll start posting pics and making reports.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Do you have any idea of the focal length? Just curious how long a ladder you will need.

If you look at Mike Clements' 70" mirror that was also meant to be used in space, his focal length is about 60' so he built a flat secondary about half the size to reflect it back to the base because a traditional Newt would have it 60' in the air. Do you plan on doing the same?

The mirror is awfully thin compared to glass mirrors, if it may behave well in space it may not, on Earth because gravity will flex it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

Skyhiker, the finish is pretty oxidized so the focus wasn't great, but it's right around 70"...so pretty fast for a 24". A little under f3
The mirrors were for ground based lasers I think, not space. Part of the Star Wars program. The story I heard when I bought them is that they were bolted to a rather large control unit that was too heavy to lift with a forklift, so had to be taken apart and parted out.
bobsorenson
Earth Ambassador

Post by bobsorenson »

Alrighty,
I'm making some progress on one of the mirrors so I thought I'd make a report and post a pic.
I've got the beast on a turnable spindle and have started working the surface. First I constructed a wedge shaped tool to lap/polish with. This is made of hard maple and laminated with polyproplene. Since the mirror has its figure intact, I shaped the surface of the tool to the curve by rubbing on sandpaper taped to the mirror down to 1500 grit.
So far I have used short radial strokes to equalize abrasion and lubricated with water and dish soap, down to 600 grit. There is some pitting and I am deciding whether to grind it out or not.
mirror600.jpg
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good luck with the restoration!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Hi Bob, I really hope you succeed! But to be honest - I have never seen a pie-shaped tool, never heard of anyone lining a mirror with sandpaper to shape the tool, furthermore shaping and polishing a thin aluminum mirror seems to be a specialized discipline.

The accuracy you need, say 1/10 lambda, is about 1/20 of a micron. How much deflection will you get by the uneven pressure of your pie shaped tool?

I would make a mirror testing tool and become proficient at using it and use it a lot, that should tell you how well your progress is if this works at all. Most people start with a 6" mirror for practice before they move on to anything else, and many have failed with thin mirrors.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I have to agree with Henk. Small tools are often used on large mirrors, but they are circular just of a smaller diameter. A 6-10" circular will be fine. You could get a CNC machine shop to CNC machine the radius onto an aluminium tool then apply a thin layer of pitch or other compound to the surface and cold press to shape it. I don't know what a pie slice shaped tool will do to it. Like Henk, I've never seen one, but my gut instinct tells me nothing good will come from it. The curved edges of a circular tool are very important in the even cutting, shaping and polishing. Those sharp corners will gouge channels in the mirror surface, not visible to the eye but optically significant. For this reason, opticians don't even use square or polygonal tools because of the sharp corners.

I would suggest to give the surface a very gentle polish to remove oxidisation, this itself may change the figure. I would use cotton wool and a light polishing compound, nothing hard that will refigure it. See what you've got before you embark on a refiguring project.

If you can get hold of, or make an artificial star. Set up a star test. A ball bearing in the sun up the street will do it.
I'm sure there are plenty of instructions / videos on line for interpreting a star test.

Then consider your next move. If the figure is not great, you might still be able to use it, literally as a light bucket.....no high mag resolution limit views of planets or double stars but amazing lower power views of galaxies and faint nebulae. I'm not saying that it's as good as an accurately figured mirror, but if you've already got the mirror, make a cheap and easy dob mount for it and have a go.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)