Smallest EQ Mount With Setting Circles That Work

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Smallest EQ Mount With Setting Circles That Work

Post by Refractordude »

What is the smallest eq mount with setting circles that work?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Smallest EQ Mount With Setting Circles That Work

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It is not really related to the mount size but the circle size themselves.
I have had a older EQ-2 that had reasonably accurate circles that would get you close to the target and EQ-5 ones that were horrid.
If they are readable and function properly they will be good enough to get you close.

My TAL EQ which is a EQ-5 equivalent has circles almost half again as large as a standard EQ-5 and work a bit better as well.

The person that produces Byers mounts has stated before that a fully functional circle should be at least 8" in size.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Want something way smaller than my Orion Skyview Pro for darksite trips. I will be using my Vixen 70mm f/13. Would like to be able track with the mount.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 pm It is not really related to the mount size but the circle size themselves.
I have had a older EQ-2 that had reasonably accurate circles that would get you close to the target and EQ-5 ones that were horrid.
If they are readable and function properly they will be good enough to get you close.

My TAL EQ which is a EQ-5 equivalent has circles almost half again as large as a standard EQ-5 and work a bit better as well.

The person that produces Byers mounts has stated before that a fully functional circle should be at least 8" in size.
That is 8" round?
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, not too sure what you're after, but I have an old mount that might be equivalent to an EQ2. It support a 60mm f/11, but I wouldn't push it any further than that. However, once in the proper position, the setting circles work just fine on it, thankfully, as the finderscope is useless... :D

Image1.png

Hope this helps,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

A Losmandy G11. It has additional engravings for accurate positioning.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... &eim=1,2,6
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

mount10.jpg
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:40 pm Want something way smaller than my Orion Skyview Pro for darksite trips. I will be using my Vixen 70mm f/13. Would like to be able track with the mount.
Do you want to track for visual or AP? If AP, then you really need a substantial mount, and anything less that the one you already have would not be up to it.

Presumably you are talking visual if you are using a f13 70mm OTA; and in that case why do you need an EQ mount? I use an early model iOptron Pro for visual use and public viewing: this is go-to and tracks quite well, and can cope with my 150mm f5 refactor or my 102mm f8 for visual use.

For visual usage with your scope you might want to look at something like the Skywatcher "Star Discovery" or "Mini-Az GTI" mounts.

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've been looking at the Orion tabletop EQ, but it would have to be mounted on a tripod. I've also been looking at the Exos Nano. (And the SVP, of course, for something more substantial.) Higher end mounts are beyond my current hobby budget.

I have no personal knowledge of any of these though.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

May have just found what I was looking for. Anybody have experience with this very light weight eq mount. I sent an email to Explore Scientific asking about tracker attachment possibilities.

https://explorescientificusa.com/produc ... snanot1-00
Attachments
nano mount.PNG

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

There's a long thread over on CN about it. Counterweight might not be sufficient for some scopes. If you get one, please post a review.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:10 pm There's a long thread over on CN about it. Counterweight might not be sufficient for some scopes. If you get one, please post a review.
Cool
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

If it is good setting circles you want, consider a wedged fork mount instead of a GEM. The RA circle on the mount for my old orange-tube C-90 is about 8" in diameter. It has markings every 5 minutes of RA, and can be interpolated to the nearest minute with ease.

Best of all, the circle is driven by the motor, which is something that GEM manufacturers seem unable to master. So I have none of the GEM nonsense where you have to re-set the circle after the mount has tracked for a while. At the start of the evening, I set the setting circle to local sidereal time, and it is good for the rest of the night.

The Dec circle is not quite as large, maybe 5" in diameter. It is marked for every degree, and can be interpolated to about 1/4 of a degree.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

So that's a single-arm fork, I take it?
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Refractordude wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 pm May have just found what I was looking for. Anybody have experience with this very light weight eq mount. I sent an email to Explore Scientific asking about tracker attachment possibilities.

I have that mount, I think it's quite stable and usable, excellent for the price. It works very well wit my 80 mm Apo. On the AF there was someone who hooked up a motor and did some AP with it. Of course there are no bearings on this mount so the stiction is a real problem for motorized tracking. But it will take a tracker, it has the right size screw, 1/4" I think.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm So that's a single-arm fork, I take it?
Correct.
P1060416-800px.JPG
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm
Refractordude wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 pm May have just found what I was looking for. Anybody have experience with this very light weight eq mount. I sent an email to Explore Scientific asking about tracker attachment possibilities.

I have that mount, I think it's quite stable and usable, excellent for the price. It works very well wit my 80 mm Apo. On the AF there was someone who hooked up a motor and did some AP with it. Of course there are no bearings on this mount so the stiction is a real problem for motorized tracking. But it will take a tracker, it has the right size screw, 1/4" I think.
Do the setting circles work for you?
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I never used its setting circles but I suggest that you need a very wide field of view say 3 to 5 degrees for any luck, with good polar alignment. This is just based on my experience with the Losmandy G11. Sky and telescope published an article about how various types of misalignment easily add up. What I can say is that the Nano is remarkably solid considering what its made of.

I looked at my Nano and sorry there was no screw but there is a Vixen adapter for the iOptron Skytracker. It is also quite easy to make an adapter from a piece of wood and a piece of 1/4" thread.
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

[mention]ARock[/mention] ARock has this mount. Perhaps he can chime in? :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

I use the EQ Nano with a 80 mm F/5 and it is stable enough to do basic AP. I have never used the setting circles, but it does have them. The only concern would be the length of your F/13 scope. ES does sell this with a 80mm F/11.5 scope but I think this will be prone to vibrations. Also, the Counter Weight that comes with the mount might not be enough for your scope.

You can fit a cheap Celestron R/A Single Axis Motor Drive on it with some bracket adaptation with a hand drill (see the drive thread below).

Or you could build a RA drive with a Stepper motor and Arduino for it.

Here is a link discussing the mount on CN
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6087 ... eq-thread/

and another one discussing RA drives on it.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5702 ... his-mount/

Here it is in action as we speak for the transit of mercury...
Attachments
20191111_074823_resize.jpg
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.