Anybody Try This William Optics Eyepiece?

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Anybody Try This William Optics Eyepiece?

Post by Refractordude »

I like that it only has four lenses. Must be very clear.

https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-2 ... piece.html
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Anybody Try This William Optics Eyepiece?

Post by Refractordude »

Come on now, no one has this eye piece? I need another 20mm. My GSO Superview 20mm has a chip on the lens.

https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-2 ... piece.html
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

No, I don't have them. Since you've made the RFI twice I'll say why not.

I suspect that they are a variant of one of the König designs. Now I really like the König designs. I had a slew of them from University Optics and so are familiar with design. It works brilliantly in slow f7.5 and slower scopes. In faster scopes there is astigmatism (seagull shaped stars) in the outer field of view though.

When my daughter took my Orion ED80 f7.5 she also got my UO König and UO Orthoscopics so they're still in the family My set of those were older from UO (Japan made) before UO changed vendors and sourced their König offerings from a vendor which looked like the twin of the WO wide angles. I believe that UO and WO Königs were made in the same factory.

The reviews I read of the newer UO Königs and the WO Wide Angles stifled any interest. The off axis performance did not seem up to the older Japanese UOs and certainly not up to the TV Panoptic 19mm. So that's why I never got one.

If a 19mm TV Panoptic is out, I'd go with the ES 68* 20mm, and failing that I would look on the used market for a UO König. But understand that it isn't to be used in a faster than f7.5 scope.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 am No, I don't have them. Since you've made the RFI twice I'll say why not.

I suspect that they are a variant of one of the König designs. Now I really like the König designs. I had a slew of them from University Optics and so are familiar with design. It works brilliantly in slow f7.5 and slower scopes. In faster scopes there is astigmatism (seagull shaped stars) in the outer field of view though.

When my daughter took my Orion ED80 f7.5 she also got my UO König and UO Orthoscopics so they're still in the family My set of those were older from UO (Japan made) before UO changed vendors and sourced their König offerings from a vendor which looked like the twin of the WO wide angles. I believe that UO and WO Königs were made in the same factory.

The reviews I read of the newer UO Königs and the WO Wide Angles stifled any interest. The off axis performance did not seem up to the older Japanese UOs and certainly not up to the TV Panoptic 19mm. So that's why I never got one.

If a 19mm TV Panoptic is out, I'd go with the ES 68* 20mm, and failing that I would look on the used market for a UO König. But understand that it isn't to be used in a faster than f7.5 scope.
Thanks
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I just got back in from doing a shootout between my GSO SuperView 20mm and my Svbony Gold Line 20mm. Got the Gold Line from ebay, but never used it much. Possibly due to my disappointment with the Svbony Gold Line 6 and 9. The Svbony Gold Line 20mm showed sharp ridges inside of the moon's craters. With the GSO SuperView 20mm the ridges were hardly noticeable or kinda soft. This goes to show that there are good and bad in every eyepiece series. May just use the 20mm Gold Line in place of the GSO SuperView 20mm. I think Svbony is trying hard to be real player in the industry.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SVBONY-1-25-20 ... 3248542108
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Refractordude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:55 am I just got back in from doing a shootout between my GSO SuperView 20mm and my Svbony Gold Line 20mm. Got the Gold Line from ebay, but never used it much. Possibly due to my disappointment with the Svbony Gold Line 6 and 9. The Svbony Gold Line 20mm showed sharp ridges inside of the moon's craters. With the GSO SuperView 20mm the ridges were hardly noticeable or kinda soft. This goes to show that there are good and bad in every eyepiece series. May just use the 20mm Gold Line in place of the GSO SuperView 20mm. I think Svbony is trying hard to be real player in the industry.
That's interesting and shows that quality control might be variable with the GSO unless the incident that caused the chip also knocked things about. Hard to say.

My GSO SV 20mm is not mushy on structure in Moon craters. True, it isn't as sharp as my Plossls or Orthoscopics or Delos but I've used it happily for outreach and would say its OK. Interesting about your experience vis a vis the Svbony, though.

Did you have any pre chip observations of sharpness?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Seawolfe
Moon Ambassador

Post by Seawolfe »

Isn't this the eyepiece that comes as a pair with the Williams Optics binoviewer?
1975 - 1982 - Semper Fi
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Seawolfe wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 pm Isn't this the eyepiece that comes as a pair with the Williams Optics binoviewer?
Yes.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have not try this EP either but as nFA indicated it has to be of Konig design. I tried a few Konigs in the past, some of them were quite sharp, but some had issues with coatings and light scatter. So, until you try it you would not be able to tell.

I would definitely trust Gary Russell Konigs though. He turns out good quality EPs for good prices. My first pick would be 18mm with research grade lenses, but I am sure 19mm is good to.

http://russell-optics.com/quarter_inch.html
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Gary Russel is the best bet for a new Konig !
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:17 am
Refractordude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:55 am I just got back in from doing a shootout between my GSO SuperView 20mm and my Svbony Gold Line 20mm. Got the Gold Line from ebay, but never used it much. Possibly due to my disappointment with the Svbony Gold Line 6 and 9. The Svbony Gold Line 20mm showed sharp ridges inside of the moon's craters. With the GSO SuperView 20mm the ridges were hardly noticeable or kinda soft. This goes to show that there are good and bad in every eyepiece series. May just use the 20mm Gold Line in place of the GSO SuperView 20mm. I think Svbony is trying hard to be real player in the industry.
That's interesting and shows that quality control might be variable with the GSO unless the incident that caused the chip also knocked things about. Hard to say.

My GSO SV 20mm is not mushy on structure in Moon craters. True, it isn't as sharp as my Plossls or Orthoscopics or Delos but I've used it happily for outreach and would say its OK. Interesting about your experience vis a vis the Svbony, though.

Did you have any pre chip observations of sharpness?
I never compared it with another eyepiece.