Deep Sky Objects and Their Observation

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

by kt4hx

To begin this article I will pose a couple of questions. Have you ever observed deep sky objects (DSOs) and perhaps been at a loss for words as to how you can adequately describe its appearance in your notes? Similarly, have you seen a feature that perhaps you didn’t fully comprehend its true nature?...
Read more...
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Deep Sky Objects and Their Observation

Post by JayTee »

Excellent article Alan. Thank you for writing this up.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Very nice article Alan! Thanks for taken the time to put it together.

I would like to encourage everyone who observe to take notes or sketch what you see. Not just for sharing it with others (which is very rewarding already) but also because describing what you see makes you focus on the details and see more as a result.

Granted, many targets particular in small scopes will be just faint fuzzies, but even then you can describe the shape, size and relative brightness. In brighter targets with some practice you can pick quite a few details. For instance go on the hunt of star forming H II regions in the spiral arms of the Triangulum Galaxy.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

JayTee wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:57 am Excellent article Alan. Thank you for writing this up.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks JT. I hope that it helps some folks during their observations.
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 am Very nice article Alan! Thanks for taken the time to put it together.

I would like to encourage everyone who observe to take notes or sketch what you see. Not just for sharing it with others (which is very rewarding already) but also because describing what you see makes you focus on the details and see more as a result.

Granted, many targets particular in small scopes will be just faint fuzzies, but even then you can describe the shape, size and relative brightness. In brighter targets with some practice you can pick quite a few details. For instance go on the hunt of star forming H II regions in the spiral arms of the Triangulum Galaxy.
Thank you Andrey. I am glad you brought up the subject of keeping a log. I can relate to this issue very closely. For a long, long time I failed to do so. Only later in life did I see the true error of my ways. While I do have some memory of observations made way back, a good part of that has been lost to the ravages of aging and memory loss. At the time I simply did not seem to grasp its importance. Which when I think about it makes no sense. Since I was involved in shortwave radio listening and eventually amateur radio, in which I did keep logs of my receptions/contacts, that same mindset simply did not extend to astronomy.

Needless to say I deeply regret not keeping a record to which I could refer back, knowing what I observed and how I saw objects back then in various scopes. I have had to re-observe a lot of stuff subsequently when I did finally begin keeping a record. Not that its a bad thing to go back and revisit, but I feel I lost some of myself by not keeping a record from my earliest activities. So I too implore everyone to keep a record of some sort. It doesn't have to be exhaustive, but at least know where you've been and what you've observed.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Excellent article Alan! Thanks for your time and effort in sharing this valuable information with us.
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 am Excellent article Alan! Thanks for your time and effort in sharing this valuable information with us.
Thank you Ed. I appreciate you taking the time to read my submission and commenting.
Alan

Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Alan.
A great and informative article.
Thank you for publishing it.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Peter802 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:36 am Alan.
A great and informative article.
Thank you for publishing it.
Thank you Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.
Alan

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:47 am Needless to say I deeply regret not keeping a record to which I could refer back, knowing what I observed and how I saw objects back then in various scopes. I have had to re-observe a lot of stuff subsequently when I did finally begin keeping a record. Not that its a bad thing to go back and revisit, but I feel I lost some of myself by not keeping a record from my earliest activities. So I too implore everyone to keep a record of some sort. [...]

Since I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I've been keeping an observation log. Most of my early notes are just lists of what I was able to see with very few details since I didn't want to drag a notebook, pens, red light, etc. scopeside.

More recently I discovered the utility of the Voice Memos app on my phone. Since I use Sky Safari, I have my phone out anyway and it's easy to transcribe detailed voice notes into my log, sometimes many days after the observing session. I'm vaguely aware that SS has logging capabilities of some sort, but I prefer a written record since things can get lost on upgrades and such. FWIW.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Ourstanding Alan!
Thank you for this wonderful resource.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wonderful article Alan - thanks for posting it!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm
Since I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I've been keeping an observation log. Most of my early notes are just lists of what I was able to see with very few details since I didn't want to drag a notebook, pens, red light, etc. scopeside.

More recently I discovered the utility of the Voice Memos app on my phone. Since I use Sky Safari, I have my phone out anyway and it's easy to transcribe detailed voice notes into my log, sometimes many days after the observing session. I'm vaguely aware that SS has logging capabilities of some sort, but I prefer a written record since things can get lost on upgrades and such. FWIW.
I know many folks use a recorder, or type in their notes on a laptop or tablet in the field, or make written notes at the scope. Whatever way one chooses, the main thing is to keep a record. Had I the foresight to make even a simple list of all the things I observed decades ago, that would have been beneficial. Thanks for your input. :)
Don Quixote wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 pm Ourstanding Alan!
Thank you for this wonderful resource.
Thanks Mark, and I truly hope you are able to apply some of the things I mentioned to your observing. :)

helicon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 pm Wonderful article Alan - thanks for posting it!
Thanks Michael. I know in some cases I am sort of preaching to the choir because we have some very skilled observers within our ranks. But even if some of my points serve merely as a reminder to things some already have thought about, then I consider the effort well worth my time. :)
Alan

Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks very much Alan. Very useful for me. I bookmarked it.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Michael131313 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:29 pm Thanks very much Alan. Very useful for me. I bookmarked it.
Thank you Michael. I hope you find that it helps in your pursuit of DSOs. :)
Alan

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

One aspect that is addressed here Alan is the way we describe what we see. Your commentary on this for each type of DSO is very helpful to me as I want to communicate in the most understandable way to others what I have observed.

Although at this time interest in AP seems to be eclipsing visual astronomy everywhere I am most comfortable with visual astronomy.

Your article is important to me and I am sure to others who like myself are relatively new practitioners of this art.

I will most definitely be put to use the things you have taught me here.

Thank you again.
Kos
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kos »

Спасибо вам за ценную информацию! Поделился ею со своими друзьями: https://vk.com/@openastronomy-klassifik ... nabludenie

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Kos wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 pm Спасибо вам за ценную информацию! Поделился ею со своими друзьями: https://vk.com/@openastronomy-klassifik ... nabludenie
Спасибо Кос, и я надеюсь, что это полезно для вас и ваших друзей. :)
Alan

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Great article!
Thanks for posting
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Always a pleasure to read what you write Alan, and this was of course no exception! Thanks for that; if anything, it'll at least keep my frustration level down some :lol:

But of course, I hope to and will get more than just that from it :D

Thanks again and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Gordon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 pm Great article!
Thanks for posting
Thank you Gordon and I appreciate having the ability to contribute to the community.
Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:14 am Always a pleasure to read what you write Alan, and this was of course no exception! Thanks for that; if anything, it'll at least keep my frustration level down some :lol:

But of course, I hope to and will get more than just that from it :D

Thanks again and all the best,
Thanks Mark, I appreciate your comments. I sincerely hope that it helps you in some small way to get more from your pursuit of DSOs. :)
Alan