Do You Have This Eyepiece?

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Do You Have This Eyepiece?

Post by Refractordude »

My GSO 20mm has some kind of chip on the lens. I really like this eyepiece that does well in my f8 scope. Was thinking of giving the Agenaastro SWA 20mm eyepiece a try as a replacement. I own the SWA 15mm that has super clear and sharp glass, but just 13mm eye relief. The SWA 20mm has an eye relief of 16mm, and better reviews than the GSO 20mm. Has anyone compared the two, GSO 20mm Vs Agenaastro SWA 20mm?

https://agenaastro.com/agena-20mm-super ... piece.html
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Do You Have This Eyepiece?

Post by Bigzmey »

GSO SV and SWA are of somewhat different designs, but should perform more less on pair. Both are better suited for slower scopes like your F8. From my experience SWA had a bit softer focus but produced cleaner views. SVs were a ted sharper but had more light scatter on stars. In slow refractors and SCTs I would give a slight preference to SWA.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm GSO SV and SWA are of somewhat different designs, but should perform more less on pair. Both are better suited for slower scopes like your F8. From my experience SWA had a bit softer focus but produced cleaner views. SVs were a ted sharper but had more light scatter on stars. In slow refractors and SCTs I would give a slight preference to SWA.
My GSO SV has no light scatter. Maybe a quality control issue. Some times you get a good one, some times you get a bad one. I may buy both for a shootout, then return the least performing eyepiece. Hoping for more replies.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Refractordude wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:51 am
Bigzmey wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm GSO SV and SWA are of somewhat different designs, but should perform more less on pair. Both are better suited for slower scopes like your F8. From my experience SWA had a bit softer focus but produced cleaner views. SVs were a ted sharper but had more light scatter on stars. In slow refractors and SCTs I would give a slight preference to SWA.
My GSO SV has no light scatter. Maybe a quality control issue. Some times you get a good one, some times you get a bad one. I may buy both for a shootout, then return the least performing eyepiece. Hoping for more replies.
I'm happy with my GSO SVs also. No inordinate light scatter here. I have them all.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Not to start CN style war, but EP performance is always relative, and all EPs have light scatter, just different amount of it. You try couple of EPs on Jupiter or a tight double and difference in light scatter control become quite obvious.

Well executed orthos have the least amount of light scatter and some badly executed EPs tons of it. SV and SWA are not the worst, but definitely not the best, somewhere in the middle. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 am Not to start CN style war, but EP performance is always relative, and all EPs have light scatter, just different amount of it. You try couple of EPs on Jupiter or a tight double and difference in light scatter control become quite obvious.

Well executed orthos have the least amount of light scatter and some badly executed EPs tons of it. SV and SWA are not the worst, but definitely not the best, somewhere in the middle. :)
I agree. Hence my use of "no inordinate". I don't use my GSO SVs for situation when freedom from scatter is critical. Not interested in a CN style jihad either. I was surprised that you saw a difference in the SVs and SWAs with regard to scattered light though.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:44 am
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 am Not to start CN style war, but EP performance is always relative, and all EPs have light scatter, just different amount of it. You try couple of EPs on Jupiter or a tight double and difference in light scatter control become quite obvious.

I agree. Hence my use of "no inordinate". I don't use my GSO SVs for situation when freedom from scatter is critical. Not interested in a CN style jihad either. I was surprised that you saw a difference in the SVs and SWAs with regard to scattered light though.
Yes, I would not use them for doubles splitting now, but there was a time when I had just one EP set. :lol: But let's see if we can find some middle ground. In two SV EPs I had the brighter stars were always spikier than in other EPs of similar FL. To the point that it was somewhat annoying. It could be QC issues, but that put me off trying more of SV line. In the SWA I had the stars looked cleaner and I picked a quite few galaxies with it, so the transmittance was not too bad.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 am

Yes, I would not use them for doubles splitting now, but there was a time when I had just one EP set. :lol: But let's see if we can find some middle ground. In two SV EPs I had the brighter stars were always spikier than in other EPs of similar FL. To the point that it was somewhat annoying. It could be QC issues, but that put me off trying more of SV line. In the SWA I had the stars looked cleaner and I picked a quite few galaxies with it, so the transmittance was not too bad.
I understand the spiky stars bit. That's why I finally got rid of the ES100s I had. It's been a while since I used the GSO SVs but last time I had them they weren't as bad as the ES100s that way (nor the Nagler 11mm T6 which I loathed for the same reason).

The GSO SVs aren't as good as the TV Panopics or the Takahashi LEs or the BCO and KK orthoscopics.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:33 am

I understand the spiky stars bit. That's why I finally got rid of the ES100s I had. It's been a while since I used the GSO SVs but last time I had them they weren't as bad as the ES100s that way (nor the Nagler 11mm T6 which I loathed for the same reason).

The GSO SVs aren't as good as the TV Panopics or the Takahashi LEs or the BCO and KK orthoscopics.
Speaking about BCOs. Agena has BCO 18mm on sale now for $65. This is the EP I would pick over $47 SWA 20mm or $45 SV 20mm any day (or night :D).

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:52 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:33 am

Speaking about BCOs. Agena has BCO 18mm on sale now for $65. This is the EP I would pick over $47 SWA 20mm or $45 SV 20mm any day (or night :D).
Well, I've bought 3 of the BCOs. I've kept 2 complete sets of the BCOs and the 3rd set is gifted to my grandson. They're good for a lifetime. One set of the SVs is enough. ;)
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Refractordude wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:28 pm My GSO 20mm has some kind of chip on the lens. I really like this eyepiece that does well in my f8 scope. Was thinking of giving the Agenaastro SWA 20mm eyepiece a try as a replacement. I own the SWA 15mm that has super clear and sharp glass, but just 13mm eye relief. The SWA 20mm has an eye relief of 16mm, and better reviews than the GSO 20mm. Has anyone compared the two, GSO 20mm Vs Agenaastro SWA 20mm?

Instead of those, I have a 26mm Meade plossl I was going to put up for sale. One of the old pseudo-masuyama "smoothies" that's not really a plossl. In my quest of collecting this series I acquired an extra one, I was gonna sell it to fund something else I want.

Your chance to own a legend!
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey:

The BCO 18mm is a good eyepiece, but not great in what I like in an eyepiece. The BCO 18mm has an eye relief of 14.7mm. The minimum eye relief for me is 16mm. Also the SWA 20mm and SV 20mm have a 25 percent or greater field of view. I would bet that the BCO 18mm has a clearer image due to less glass and better contrast, but not a wow factor or even very noticeable difference.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Refractordude wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:16 pm Bigzmey:

The BCO 18mm is a good eyepiece, but not great in what I like in an eyepiece. The BCO 18mm has an eye relief of 14.7mm. The minimum eye relief for me is 16mm. Also the SWA 20mm and SV 20mm have a 25 percent or greater field of view. I would bet that the BCO 18mm has a clearer image due to less glass and better contrast, but not a wow factor or even very noticeable difference.
Direct comparison of the internal contrast in the Pleaiades nebulosity among these eyepieces: BCO 18, Panoptic 19mm, TV 20mm Plossl, Vixen NPL 20mm Plossl caused me to go "Wow!" over the BCO! YMMV of course.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

The most deciding factor is what works for you. Selecting right EP is very personal. I have purchased quite few EPs based on the feedback on forums, but what stays in my EP case ultimately depends on how they perform for my eyes in my scopes.

Building ultimate EP set is a never ending process and testing EPs is a fun part of it.

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Direct comparison of the internal contrast in the Pleaiades nebulosity among these eyepieces: BCO 18, Panoptic 19mm, TV 20mm Plossl, Vixen NPL 20mm Plossl caused me to go "Wow!" over the BCO! YMMV of course.
Great info to know, but I will still not buy the BCO 18mm due to the short eye relief. Now thinking about getting the BCO 32mm to replace my Meade 32mm plossl that has a few thin chips in the coatings. Have you tried the BCO 32mm? I am thinking the BCO 32mm would step all over a GSO 32mm Plossl.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Refractordude wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Great info to know, but I will still not buy the BCO 18mm due to the short eye relief. Now thinking about getting the BCO 32mm to replace my Meade 32mm plossl that has a few thin chips in the coatings. Have you tried the BCO 32mm?
32mm BCP is a nice EP, but for $65 I don't see the value there. I would either pay a bit more and get older TV Plossl smoothie, or go with Meade 32mm.

Here is my shootout between Meade, BCP and modern TV Plossl

http://www.astronomyforum.net/telescope ... otout.html

I did not have older TV Plossl smoothie 32mm at that time, which is the best 32mm Plossl IMO. :)

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Great info to know, but I will still not buy the BCO 18mm due to the short eye relief. Now thinking about getting the BCO 32mm to replace my Meade 32mm plossl that has a few thin chips in the coatings. Have you tried the BCO 32mm?
ER is clearly important to you. I'm fortunate to have eyes that are astigmatism free, so I can remove my glasses to observe and correct my near sightedness by using the scopes focuser.

Of course I've used the 32mm. I've read reviews that complain about a blurry field stop. My samples haven't had the problem. Here's the negative review I recall. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5749 ... C3%B6ssls/

I'm citing this because while I disagree about the field stop, the review states that the BCO gives darker images. This is true but what the reviewer misses is that internal differences in contrast are greater in the BCOs. My older TV Plossls throw up brighter images and so they get used when I'm trying to find some object at the limit of detectability. The BCOs aren't so good at that task but are superior at revealing subtle internal structure. The difference is in the coatings. More recent TV Plossls are also darker I hear.

The Panoptics and Vixen NPL are in the middle in my set. The images are brighter than the BCOs but not as bright as the TV Plossl. The internal contrast within a nebulosity is greater than the TV Plossls but not as good as in the BCOs.

Brightness and contrast are different. One eyepiece is often not the best for everything.

(BTW, most Plossls are really symmetricals, but although true it's a losing fight against marketing speak. ;) )
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 pm

ER is clearly important to you. I'm fortunate to have eyes that are astigmatism free, so I can remove my glasses to observe and correct my near sightedness by using the scopes focuser.

Of course I've used the 32mm. I've read reviews that complain about a blurry field stop. My samples haven't had the problem. Here's the negative review I recall. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5749 ... C3%B6ssls/

I'm citing this because while I disagree about the field stop, the review states that the BCO gives darker images. This is true but what the reviewer misses is that internal differences in contrast are greater in the BCOs. My older TV Plossls throw up brighter images and so they get used when I'm trying to find some object at the limit of detectability. The BCOs aren't so good at that task but are superior at revealing subtle internal structure. The difference is in the coatings. More recent TV Plossls are also darker I hear.

The Panoptics and Vixen NPL are in the middle in my set. The images are brighter than the BCOs but not as bright as the TV Plossl. The internal contrast within a nebulosity is greater than the TV Plossls but not as good as in the BCOs.

Brightness and contrast are different. One eyepiece is often not the best for everything.

(BTW, most Plossls are really symmetricals, but although true it's a losing fight against marketing speak. ;) )

My preference for good eye relief is not astigmatism, but to enjoy the edge to edge entire view with out struggle. If astigmatism becomes a problem in the future, I am covered.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey:

Great shootout info.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Don Alvarez wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm
Refractordude wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:28 pm My GSO 20mm has some kind of chip on the lens. I really like this eyepiece that does well in my f8 scope. Was thinking of giving the Agenaastro SWA 20mm eyepiece a try as a replacement. I own the SWA 15mm that has super clear and sharp glass, but just 13mm eye relief. The SWA 20mm has an eye relief of 16mm, and better reviews than the GSO 20mm. Has anyone compared the two, GSO 20mm Vs Agenaastro SWA 20mm?

Instead of those, I have a 26mm Meade plossl I was going to put up for sale. One of the old pseudo-masuyama "smoothies" that's not really a plossl. In my quest of collecting this series I acquired an extra one, I was gonna sell it to fund something else I want.

Your chance to own a legend!

thanks for the offer