Shooting the Moon

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
taxman0720
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Shooting the Moon

Post by taxman0720 »

Hello. Just got my telescope last week and love it!! The detail I can see on the moon is amazing. Jupiter and Saturn is pretty cool too. This is in my own back yard in a city. Can't wait to get to dark skies. Anyway, I just want to confirm I am not missing anything when I go and shoot the moon. I have a DSLR and the proper adapter to hook up to the telescope. From my reading, I will not be able to change the aperture but I can change ISO and shutter speed. I will have the camera in manual mode. My main question is focus. Since there will not be a DSLR lens on the camera, I can't set focus to infinity. The only thing I have read is to use live view and try to focus through that. Right now, all I am attempting is to do less than 30 second exposures of the moon with no stacking. I want to start simple and build up from there. Any advice would be appreciated.
Celestron NexStar 6SE
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Shooting the Moon

Post by helicon »

Congrats on the new scope!!!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Congratulations!

It sounds to me like you have a good handle on things, but since I'm only a visual observer, the only advice I have to offer is to try some experiments during the daytime to get some practice. Terrestrial viewing/photography will put your focus in a very different position, so don't forget to put your focus back to about where it needs to be before your next nighttime observing.

Good luck, and clear skies!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Congratulations Taxman !
I am now looking forward to a posting of your moon shoot !
I hope you have nice clear, steady skies soon !
Cheers!
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Don Quixote wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 pm Congratulations Taxman !
I am now looking forward to a posting of your moon shoot !
I hope you have nice clear, steady skies soon !
Cheers!
Me too
PapaFox
Mars Ambassador

Post by PapaFox »

Congratulations on your new scope!
If you're getting into AP, you should consider getting a field flattener . It helps keeping the entire image in focus. Sometimes the center of the image will be in focus but the edges will not, the flattener will help. It will widen the view and speed up your scope.
SV70T, celestron 8" sct, avx, polemaster, zwo 224, zwo 178,
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Definitely use live view to focus. If you have the camera tethered to a USB port on a computer, look at the live view on the big screen.

You can focus on a bright star. Make the image of the star as small as you can get it. Eventually, you might want to make or buy a Bahtinov mask for precise focusing. If the stars are in focus, the Moon will be too, and vice versa.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Also, if you have a barlow lens don't hesitate to experiment with that too. A lot of us who image the planets and the moon use our barlow to get a bigger image.

Cheers,
Jt
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

With the camera attached to the telescope, you'll be able to use the focuser on the telescope (while looking through the camera eyepiece or using the "live view" screen) to focus.

Your scope is an f/10 scope. Set the ISO to 100 (there is no need to increase it) and set the shutter speed to 1/125th (normally at f/11 you'd use ISO 100 and 1/100th but you're about 1/3rd stop faster at f/10 so you'll want to slightly bump up the shutter to around 1/125th to compensate). It should nail the exposure.

Take your time focusing. If you use "live view" mode then you can usually zoom the live-view display to inspect the edges until you are satisfied that it is sharp.

Sometimes it is easier to focus on a star because that gets you a pin-point light source. Focus to make the point of light as small as possible (and zoom the live-view to confirm).

Lastly (the most important step) ... post the results back here!! :-)
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi taxman0720,

Congrats on the new scope, nice :D

I regularly "shoot the moon" with a DSLR and an 80mm @f/11.4. I agree with all the advice given here as well. I use live mode on the camera, bump the nagnification on that to 10X, and adjust focus along the terminator line.
And I'd have to think that you'd want to limit exposure time depending on the brightness. JMHO.

Stacking might be your friend, really. I took single shots for years, then when I realized I could combine a bunch to bring out all the detail, I never looked back. Trust me, it's not hard (heck, I can do it :lol:) and myself and others here would be more than happy to help you out with the process. Best part, all the software is free...!!

Again, congrats on the scope and hope to see some pics!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
taxman0720
Earth Ambassador

Post by taxman0720 »

As always, thank you for all the information. This weekend was terrible viewing so I hope I get some good skies this week.
Celestron NexStar 6SE
taxman0720
Earth Ambassador

Post by taxman0720 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:44 am Hi taxman0720,

Congrats on the new scope, nice :D

I regularly "shoot the moon" with a DSLR and an 80mm @f/11.4. I agree with all the advice given here as well. I use live mode on the camera, bump the nagnification on that to 10X, and adjust focus along the terminator line.
And I'd have to think that you'd want to limit exposure time depending on the brightness. JMHO.

Stacking might be your friend, really. I took single shots for years, then when I realized I could combine a bunch to bring out all the detail, I never looked back. Trust me, it's not hard (heck, I can do it :lol:) and myself and others here would be more than happy to help you out with the process. Best part, all the software is free...!!

Again, congrats on the scope and hope to see some pics!

All the best,

I guess it is fear of the unknown when it comes to stacking. I will have to make that a winter project and figure it out. What software do you recommend?
Celestron NexStar 6SE
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Congrats on your new scope taxman. I just got mine two weeks back and learning a lot from the fine members in this forum.

I am in the same boat as you, looking for software to stack images on my Mac.

Look forward to see your images from the 6SE.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

taxman0720 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:51 pm
I guess it is fear of the unknown when it comes to stacking. I will have to make that a winter project and figure it out. What software do you recommend?
I hear you on that, trust me. The software I use is PIPP, Autostakkert2, Registax or ImPPG, and sometimes GIMP for final tweaking.
Last winter I had started a "tutorial" on how to do this for someone on here, but life threw me a nasty curve ball and that got placed on the back burner. Perhaps I should finish it :D

It at least covers PIPP and Autostakkert; if you'd like to read it, it's here: Lunar Image Processing

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Sounds like you've got a great scope!

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Hobbit1066
Earth Ambassador

Post by Hobbit1066 »

what lens do you have for the camera?
i normally shoot the moon with my 70-300 hand held or 150-600 on the tripod.
if i shoot with the scope i have the ISO at 100 and a high shutter speed other wise it appears as a white blob.
try with the camera 1st then head for the scope. if oudoing shots 30 secs is too long for the moon
Sanity in an insane world is insane
SCOPE - Sky watcher ST80mm
MOUNT Celestron CG-4 with motordrive
OTHER KIT Nikon D5300, Sigma 10-20mm F3.5, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporay, Nikkor 35mm F1.8, Nikkor 70-300 AF-P, rednsapper tripod and head, Kenro Carbon Gimbal, 3LT Trent Monopod and Docz foot
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

With your scope being at f/10 and using a DSLR you'll probably not get the full lunar disk. You can take a few overlapping shot and stitch them together with a program like MS ICE (MicroSoft Image Composite Editor).

Grab the best data you can, and get lots of it. Good luck and hope you post your results....
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

On exposure times, you need to use a longer exposure if there is haze, the Moon is near the horizon or the phase is small. Also, I'm not sure about the advice about field of view. I have an F12.7 'scope with 1540mm focal length and can still get the full lunar disc in the camera field of view.
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

OhNo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:35 am With your scope being at f/10 and using a DSLR you'll probably not get the full lunar disk. You can take a few overlapping shot and stitch them together with a program like MS ICE (MicroSoft Image Composite Editor).

Grab the best data you can, and get lots of it. Good luck and hope you post your results....
I did the math for the field of view and with a 1500mm focal length scope (I think that's right for the Nexstar 6SE) and using an APS-C size sensor DSLR with a 1.6x crop factor (e.g. most Canon models ... Nikon and Sony are 1.5x) the field of view in the narrow direction works out to .57° (34.2 arc-minutes).

The moon is generally around 30 arc-minutes ... but as much as 33 arc-minutes near perigee. This means it'll be a tight-squeeze ... but it should be able to fit into a single image. If the moon is closer to apogee ... you get a little more breathing room.
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Frankrd80
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Frankrd80 »

I'm new like you, I tried to do some shoots daytime.
Put my dslr in p and live view for the focus, after that I do 4 automatic shoots, just to avoid any shaking.
My recent pic was at 100 ISO an 1/320 Shutter.