150mm achro doublets. f/8, f/6.5, f/5

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

150mm achro doublets. f/8, f/6.5, f/5

Post by Don Quixote »

I am interested in a discussion on the following:

The comparison of visual effectiveness of the following three 150mm refractor telescopes of f/5, f/6.5, and f/8.

Assuming equal quality of glass etc, how the views may differ in your experience.
I am also interested in the theoretical.

If you use one of these refractors, is there a sweet spot ?
What are you most viewing?
What might you avoid viewing?
And if such a judgement can be made, What sky conditions would be better for one or the other?

I will thank you in advance for any participation.

I have outlined a few parameters here.

150 f/8 1200mm
ExP 2 with 16mm EP at 75X
ExP 1 with 8mm EP at 150X
ExP .5 with 4mm EP at 300X

152 f/6.5 988mm
ExP 2 with 13mm EP at 76X
ExP 1 with 6.5mm EP at 152X
ExP .6 with 4mm EP at 247X

150 f/5 750mm
Exp 2 with 10mm EP at 75X
ExP 1 with 5mm EP at 150X
ExP .8 with 4mm EP at 187X

Clear skies!
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 150mm achro doublets. f/8, f/6.5, f/5

Post by Refractordude »

When it is financially responsible for me to do, I will be getting a 6" f/5. I like that it is lighter than the other focal ratio scopes. More violet color, but I will be using it for black and white DSO only. The f/8 is interesting. Just add a 4" aperture mask and you got a f/12 for the planets, moon, and other bright objects.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you, Refractordude.
I have recently acquired the f/6.5. It came available at a good trade. I suppose I could use a mask on it as well.
I like your idea of B&W DSO.
Would the masking affect the color fringing?

I have not had opportunity to experiment, but I am wondering if Exit Pupil affects the color fringing.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Yes it does, as the use of magnification decreases (ExP enlarges) the visible CA lessens to a degree.
It does not go away as the CA is spread across the view as the colour blur I mentioned to you earlier.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

As you know I have Celestron version of 6" F5. It is amazingly lightweight and compact. It is ideal for low to mid power wide field DSO views. It is my to go instrument for open clusters and extended nebulae. I also enjoy splinting doubles at lower powers.

I would say that in 20-100x range CA is not an issue. In this range stars are colorful and tight.

Bumping above 100x, CA really kicks in. You could still do planets and Moon, but even with good amount of details resolved they look mushy. I have better instruments for that job, so I hardly use 150ST.

For DSO hunting useful range of EPs are from 36mm to 7mm. I know some users reported using EPs in 3.5-5mm range. But for me stars bloat below 7mm and I just don't enjoy resulting views. I think viewing conditions and quality of telescope sampling are definitely factors there.

In 20x-100x range the scope really shines. Sagittarius Milky Way, fitting M31 in 3 deg FOV, Veils complex with OIII - mind changing views!

You need to watch for the field curvature though. To me it is more annoying than CA. Ironically, 82 deg EPs praised for the field correction in DOBs exaggerate field curvature in 150ST, and 14mm and 20mm Pentax XWs bashed for the FC on forums correct FC of 150ST. So, much EP to scope rule always applies. :)

Baader Aspheric 72 deg 36mm and 31mm and Pentax XWs 7mm to 20mm are the EPs of choice for my 150ST.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Andrey for participating here with your good experience and recommendations.

So far my experience on my AR152 f/6.5 has been limited to only two good night outings and some daytime fiddling...definitely had purple fringe in daylight. I flocked the drawtube and it seemed to help getting into focus in the daytime. I am not sure now what was affected but it seemed to help.

I am eager to get out at night and play with it more.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Quixote wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:17 pm Thank you Andrey for participating here with your good experience and recommendations.

So far my experience on my AR152 f/6.5 has been limited to only two good night outings and some daytime fiddling...definitely had purple fringe in daylight. I flocked the drawtube and it seemed to help getting into focus in the daytime. I am not sure now what was affected but it seemed to help.

I am eager to get out at night and play with it more.
It is apples to oranges to some degree, since our scopes have somewhat different geometry and came from different vendors. But, once I upgraded the focuser on mine to GSO linear bearing I don't have any issues focusing at night or day. Yes, the fringe is there during the day. It also seems a function of EP and diagonal. I did not do side by side comparison during the day, but since I upgraded diagonal from Orion dielectric to Baader Clicklock and switched from Meade UWAs to Pentax XWs I see less purple during the day.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

I can only answer for the 6 inch f/5.
Take into account that I observe from a LP area. Most widefield views are done with a 24mm Panoptic at 31X ,Exp 4.8 and 2.17 degree FOV. I sometimes use a 28mm Edmund RKE or a 30mm Eudiascopic. I haven't brought him with me to a dark location yet, but I can Imagine I use a 2 inch 31mm Baader Hyperion there. (24X, Exp 6.2, 3 degree FOV) Those big Exit pupils are ideal for using UHC or OIII filters.

I use the Leica ASPH Zoom for 17,8 to 8,9mm for 42X to 84X. ( Exp 3.6 to 1.8 mm ) The last one is becoming interesting for DSO-use. Field of view 1.4 to 0.9 degrees. Most Messiers fit in.
Even more interesting it becomes when I put the Zeiss barlow in between, mag. factor some 2,33X. Magnifications become 98X to 196X . The less bright objects emerge. Works well on small DSO's too.

Under my LP skies I would say the sweet spot lies at approximately 150X or so. ( Exp 1mm)

A F/5 system is not a Moon or planetary telescope, although much occasional work can be done with the 110mm opening in the dustcover. ( makes it a f/6.8) Jupiter is still the one to avoid though. An extra home made diaphragm in the dustcover makes it an 80mm F9.4 if needed.

CA is apparent, although I suppress it more or less with a prism at the eyepiece-end instead of a diagonal mirror. At low magnifications it is visible on stars to magnitude 4 or so. At high magnifictions the ordinary glare masks it and CA becomes less noticable. Most DSO's, even bright clusters, do not contain much bright stars, so most of the time I don't even notice CA. Moreover, once used to it it doesn't stand out any more.

At F5 the system is in need of a focusser with a 1:10 reducer. At higher magnifications, that is. The standard focusser is not bad for a F/8 system or slower but simply too course for the very small focus-depth of a F/5.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hello John.
Among other details you have shared, your comment on the facility of UHC and OIII filters with larger ExP is a connection I have not thought of. Of course it makes sense.

On my next opportunity I am planning a dual mounting of the 6" f/5 Newt I have recently acquired with my 6" f/6.5 frac .

I realize that to some extent I am comparing apples and oranges but I think it will be interesting.

Thank you for participating in this thread John.
Godspeed naar jou mijn vriend.😊

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Quixote wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:52 am Hello John.
Among other details you have shared, your comment on the facility of UHC and OIII filters with larger ExP is a connection I have not thought of. Of course it makes sense.

On my next opportunity I am planning a dual mounting of the 6" f/5 Newt I have recently acquired with my 6" f/6.5 frac .

I realize that to some extent I am comparing apples and oranges but I think it will be interesting.

Thank you for participating in this thread John.
Godspeed naar jou mijn vriend.😊
Go for it Mark, that should be quite interesting comparison.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good luck with the comparison Mark. So far I have compared the views in my 5.1" Newt and the 6" frac. The frac does provide superior views, though of course the aperture is a bit larger. I have noticed slight color fringing on some objects in the frac but so far it is manageable. And the wide field views are outstanding.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Mark,

regarding the 6" F/5, I would not add much more besides what John and others have already posted.

As with any fast refractor, what matters is the right choice of the eyepieces designs.

The spherical aberration of the larger aperture fast refractors, and especially of the 6" F/5 limits the resolution, unless you will take a glass zenith prism, and cut the UV/violet with the filters like UV/IR cut.

On the 6" F/5, it is actually not as much the classical CA, as the sperochromatism, which makes the color blurr. In the plain language it is still called the CA fringe.
On the slower 6" F/6.5, the spherochromatism drops, the CA increases, and the both are eventually nearly heads on.
On the even slower 6" F/8 the sperochromatism has been hardly reported, the numerical CA deviations increase even more, but the CA color blur fades far away from the Airy disc, and the visual best focus looks clean.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Hi Folks,

I am in agreement with the posters above about the CA of the f5. I don't find it at all objectionable except when you start to look at high power: using my 3-6mm Nagler it becomes pretty noticeable at 125x, and at 250x things get pretty blurred. With a 7.5mm Tak LE eyepiece (100x) it is fine.
I had a play the other day with the Baader Fringe Killer filter, and it made Jupiter a lot sharper at 250x! The view became quite acceptable. (Mind you, I am not a fan of this filter for daytime views as it imparts a yellowish tinge.)

At lower powers (up to 100x) it provides great views: in fact I was lucky enough to have a look through a Skywatcher Esprit 150 the other day, and the f5 achro held its own really well for lower powers.

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you JG for coming in on this.

With my f/6.5 I have good visual focus with very little color fringing. On the moon tonight at 78X with 12.5 Docter there can be a very thin line of blue or yellow on the limiter depending on how I point my vision. It is in the peripheral part of my vision when the color line blinks at me. When I point my eye at the color it seems to disappear. It is in no way a detriment to the view.
I intended to make a comparison with my 6 inch f/5 Newt just for the fun, but when I got out there I had somehow knocked my secondary out of kilter so no comparison could be made.
There will be another time.
I enjoyed experimenting with the 6 inch frac untill the frost began to coat the outside of the tube. I viewed IC1805 with the f/6.5 tonight also, but transparency was quite bad so the nebulosity was not as evident as last weeks view under much better sky with the f/5 Newt.

This is the first frosty night for me this year. I am going to need to brake out my pocket warmer. 😊

I really appreciate everyone's participation in this thread. It is very interesting and helpful to hear of each experience.