More Problems with the HEQ5 Pro

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
Chiefsmith Netherlands
Articles: 0

More Problems with the HEQ5 Pro

Post by Chiefsmith »

Last night I had clear skies. I set up a shot for the Heart Nebula 75 shots @ 300 seconds for the lights. There have been problems for the last couples of days with something causing my mount to just suddenly park itself after a few short shots. Last night, after getting everything up, I started the shoot. The first three shots were just fine. Everything seemed to be working so when the fourth shot started I went to bed. When the fourth shot had finished my HEQ5 PRO parked itself. It was a night wasted.

Today I set everything up again and uninstalled Green Swamp Server (GSS). I did this to see if I could control my mount with APT. That did not work so I reinstalled GSS. The Heart Nebula is right overhead even in the daytime so I started another shoot of that. I did not see when it happened, but my HEQ5 PRO again parked itself. I touched nothing! Something in my setup is generating automatic parking commands.

This is a new problem/issue and I have no idea why, or even how, a mount can just park itself.

My setup from last night and today:

1. Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO
2. Intel NUC i5, 32 GB ram, Win10 Pro English version
3. Green Swamp Server v1.0.6.5
4. APT v4.50
5. Stellarium v0.22.0
6. Canon EOS M200
7. Pegasus Astro EQDIR USB Stick for EQMOD RJ45
8. TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter (wi-fi booster)

Ideas/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. Somehow I cannot imagine that I am the only one having a problem like this so I think someone (I hope!) has experience with this issue and can offer some advise.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: More Problems with the HEQ5 Pro

Post by Graeme1858 »

Chiefsmith wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:58 pm Ideas/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. Somehow I cannot imagine that I am the only one having a problem like this so I think someone (I hope!) has experience with this issue and can offer some advise.

Hello Chiefsmith

Are you running a sequence in APT that you can edit?

Is your mount set to park if the target is below 25° altitude?

Does the telescope park if you run a sequence using any other package other than APT?

Does it happen if you shut down Stellarium?

Could you run the sequence and look for error messages when it parks?

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Chiefsmith Netherlands

Post by Chiefsmith »

Hoi Graeme,

I do not know about a sequence in APT that I can edit. I really do not know about that part of things.

I am not sure about the settings to park if a target is below an altitude. Your location is pretty close to mine so the Heart Nebula should be almost overhead for you.

APT is the only thing I have to control my mount. I have had weird slewing earlier with the same setup so I am thinking this may not be an APT problem but an issue with GSS. Right now we have bright sunshine and zero clouds in the sky so I am going to uninstall GSS, install EQMOD, and hope that I can run something tonight with EQMOD.

The automatic parking and weird slewing from earlier happens with and without Stellarium running. I deliberately run the older version of Stellarium because a while back they advised that there were issues they could not fix. This was when they were offering money for someone to step up and help them with the fix. Last night I went to the Stellarium site and did not see anything about that issue so I am thinking they found a fix for it and it is safe to use the latest version. That will not happen with me until I find a fix for my current problem.

I really do not know how to read the logs, but there is an odd entry on the APT log that corresponds to when the mount went into the automatic park mode:

2024/05/13 18:18:34 (UT 2024/05/13 16:18:34) DBG APT Dithering, generated coordinates
2024/05/13 18:18:34 (UT 2024/05/13 16:18:34) OpErr Cannot execute dithering. Exception occurred.
2024/05/13 18:18:34 (UT 2024/05/13 16:18:34) Op Dithering started (APT).
2024/05/13 18:18:34 (UT 2024/05/13 16:18:34) DBG Error: 0x60, BulbStopCommand, 0x0, 0
2024/05/13 18:18:34 (UT 2024/05/13 16:18:34) DBG Error: 0x60, BulbStopCommand, 0x0, 0

I am going to look at the GSS log and see if I can find anything in that for the same time entry. I plan to send the APT and GSS logs to the GSS people to give them a chance to find a fix for this. I have already sent Ivo the APT log for the last incident.

That is really all I know to do at this stage.

Thank you for your courtesies with answering my call for help,
Chiefsmith

PS: If I did not delete it, I have one frame that shows the mount streaking towards Polaris as it parked itself and it did this right in the middle of a test shot. That is on another computer and if/when I find it I will post it here.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I'm also not sure how to read an APT log. But if the problem is with APT then Ivo will sort it for you.

Two things though, firstly, your log says 18:18 (UT 16:18) should there not be one hour difference between BST and UTC?

Secondly The Heart Nebula (IC1805) is almost directly overhead at midday from the UK. It next transits the Meridian at about midnight when it is at an altitude of 23°.

Let us know how you get on.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Chiefsmith Netherlands

Post by Chiefsmith »

Good morning Graeme,

The first 12 shots from last night's session were good. The mount started slewing, by itself, on the 13th shot. I have no idea where it slewed to but you can see where it was this morning.

Ivo got back to me and offered a suggestion that my be the reason why I am having these problems. I set up an IntelNUC in a go-to kit that I can remotely control from inside the house and all of my problems are with that setup. I am trying this tonight with a laptop that I have not used for mount control in over a year. That means there is old software that needs to be updated but that should be all since it worked just fine, none of the problems I am having now, the last time I used it for mount control. If it works tonight then I will verify that I have the same settings on the IntelNUC and give that another try.

Only time will tell.

We are UTC +1 during the winter months but when we go on daylight savings time that changes the UTC for my location to UTC +2.

Chiefsmith
Attachments
skywatcher position 2 0700 in the morning.jpg