hyperstar v4 cannot focus moon

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
1jimalexander United States of America
Articles: 0

hyperstar v4 cannot focus moon

Post by 1jimalexander »

I'm using a c11 edge hd with hyperstar v4. My camera is zwoasi533mc.
Camera back focus is per requirement.
As I step the focus towards 60000 the moon gets smaller but stays way out of focus even at 60000.
Any ideas?
    Scope: Skywatcher Esprit 150 Super APO, Celestron C11 Edge HD
    Mount: Celestron CGX-L, Ioptron CEM70G
    Cameras: ATIK 11000 mono ,ASI224MC, ASI533MC
    Filtering: ATIK EFW2 Astronomik LRGB, Ha, s2, O3 (12nm) Optolong L-eXtreme
    Guiding: Orion mini 50 mm, Orion Starshoot, PHD ,Primalucelab 60mm scope, Celestron OAG with ASI290mm mini
    Polar align: PoleMaster, Ipolar
    Software:SGP, Starry Night Pro, PS, PI
    ASIAIR Plus
    Ultimate PowerBox v2
    yobbo89 Online Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: hyperstar v4 cannot focus moon

Post by yobbo89 »

it sounds like theres a problem with your auto focuser values, un hook or decouple it and then test, sct manual focus range is pretty big ,like 80 mm or so , it should achieve focus .
    scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
    cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
    mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
    filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
    extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee Online United States of America
    Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

With my C11 it takes 40 half revolution turns of the focusing knob to go from stop to stop. Do you have another way to determine in focus for your hyperstar v4? If you do, at least you'll know that you have a starting point that should be pretty close to in focus for the 533. I do my manual focusing routine as a one-half twist clockwise, if I'm not in focus I'll go half twists anti-clockwise and see if I'm now in focus. If not then three half twists back clockwise, and so forth, and so forth. Be patient knowing that if you have achieved focus before, it will happen again.

Cheers,
    ∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
    ∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
    ∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
    ∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
    ∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
    ∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
    ∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
    ∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Graeme1858 Online Great Britain
    Co-Administrator
    Co-Administrator
    Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

1jimalexander wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 pm Any ideas?

Do you fire up your telescope connections and ASCOM settings using the Celestron PWI software?

If so, have you used the Celestron focuser calibration utility?

There's a link to it at the bottom of this page: https://www.celestron.com/products/focus-motor

Graeme
    APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

Post by 1jimalexander »

I added a post but it looks like I didn't do it right.
    I've fixed the problem by running the focuser to the max (60000). Then I decoupled the focuser (at the focuser end) and manually extended the focus then reconnected.
    Now that I've gone to the native f10, I've had to do the same thing in the other direction. Don't know yet how that will effect my original adjustment with Hyperstar. When I manually extended the focus with the hyperstar I went a bit passed perfect focus so I had some slack to work with. I may have extended beyond the point where it will work with the native f10.
    Thanks for the responses.
      Guiding: Orion mini 50 mm, Orion Starshoot, PHD ,Primalucelab 60mm scope, Celestron OAG with ASI290mm mini
      ASIAIR Plus
      Ultimate PowerBox v2
      yobbo89 Online Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

1jimalexander wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:14 pm I added a post but it looks like I didn't do it right.
      I've fixed the problem by running the focuser to the max (60000). Then I decoupled the focuser (at the focuser end) and manually extended the focus then reconnected.
      Now that I've gone to the native f10, I've had to do the same thing in the other direction. Don't know yet how that will effect my original adjustment with Hyperstar. When I manually extended the focus with the hyperstar I went a bit passed perfect focus so I had some slack to work with. I may have extended beyond the point where it will work with the native f10.
      Thanks for the responses.
      this is what i do when i change from planetary imaging with a barlow to deep sky on my sct, makes it easy to keep my focus values in software
      scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
      cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
      filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
      extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Post by 1jimalexander »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:19 pm this is what i do when i change from planetary imaging with a barlow to deep sky on my sct, makes it easy to keep my focus values in software
      Are you saying you need to extend the range allowed by AEF (or whatever auto focus you use) each time you change? It seems as though my EAF doesn't provide enough steps to use the entire (or most of) the screw. I'll go back to the EAF specs.
        ASIAIR Plus
        Ultimate PowerBox v2
        yobbo89 Online Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

1jimalexander wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:03 am
        yobbo89 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:19 pm this is what i do when i change from planetary imaging with a barlow to deep sky on my sct, makes it easy to keep my focus values in software
        Are you saying you need to extend the range allowed by AEF (or whatever auto focus you use) each time you change? It seems as though my EAF doesn't provide enough steps to use the entire (or most of) the screw. I'll go back to the EAF specs.
        yes my software will also max out but it has a zeroing function that i can reset, but becomes a pain when i have values set in firecapture,sharpcap, sgp pro, so i just keep all my imaging software values and just unclutch my focuser and manual focus and then re engage the clutch .