Solar film, does size make a difference?

Discuss solar related topics.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Solar film, does size make a difference?

Post by jrkirkham »

I usually take sunspot pictures with a glass solar filter on my ED 80. There is only just so much one can see with a white filter. If I made a filter for my 11" SCT would it make much difference? If I made a white solar filter for my SCT would it be better to take up the whole aperture, or to make a smaller aperture like some of those moon masks have?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Solar film, does size make a difference?

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Rob, hope I can help here....

From what I understand and have seen, the Baader solar film shows more detail than the glass filters. For visual, the 5.0 OD film is what you want, but if it's just AP, then I would go with the 3.8 (NOT for visual!).

I use a C80-HD for WL and a Canon camera. I made a filter from the 5.0 film for my 8" SCT, and hoped for more. Well, yes and no... No more detail in the Sun per se from a 3" to an 8", yet you can get some great magnification on specific regions. I used a whole sheet of 8.5" X 11", and made the aperture 6 inches. There was still a lot of black sky aroung the Sun; you might even get away with 4".

filter.jpg

If you're looking for more detail without breaking the bank, might I suggest this: Baader Gen II Calcium K-Line Filter

Simple to use, a 1.25" filter in front of the camera and making the front 3.8 film filter is easy. And no, it's not a Ca-K Quark or Lunt, but for the price point I personally couldn't be happier. Here in the Great White North that costed me just under $400 with tax, and a Ca-K Quark would run me a bit over $1300. The Lunt would be even more...

The first pic is WL from my C80, and the second is with the Ca-K filter with my WO 61mm, both from Feb 4th of this year. BIG difference. That was the last pic I took in WL... :lol:

Sun_Feb_04_2024_WL.jpg
Sun_Feb_04_2024_Ca-K.jpg

Your 80mm scope would do well with all this I'd bet. After that, it's Hydrogen-Alpha ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Solar film, does size make a difference?

Post by Solsearcher »

My 2c worth
Just like night time Aperture rules . The larger aperture will bring better resolution and finer details to the eyepiece or camera . The brightness can be knocked down with a polarizing or other filters . Your eyepieces and barlows will control the field for you .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8