Lunar EAA Adventures (April 2024)

Discussion area ONLY for Electronically assisted imaging.
Xio1996 Great Britain
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Lunar EAA Adventures (April 2024)

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Everyone,

I had a great opportunity to try out SharpCap's Lunar Live Stacking tool, both on a Celestron 4se using an Altair Astro 294c colour camera and a larger Celestron CPC-800 with a ZWO ASI533mm mono camera.

On Saturday night, I sat down next to the 4se and under the darkening sky observed the Moon using SharpCap's Lunar tool and an Altair Astro 294c camera. The Moon was at 91% illumination and 38 degrees high in the south eastern sky. The diminutive 4se was operating at its native F13 and with the 294c it easily fitted the full Lunar disc into the field of view.

The image below is a running stack of 300 frames at RAW8, 900 gain, 8.203ms sub using just the Fine wavelet slider at 0.486 and surface stabilisation. Other than being flipped vertically and resized in GIMP this is the image created by SharpCap.

4se_unprocessed.jpg

I don't really do much post processing of images, but as there seemed to be so much detail in the image I gave it a go. Using some filters in GIMP to enhance the details and stretch the dynamic range, did bring out the detail and enhanced the subtle colour changes in the maria. I need to be braver with the wavelet processing in SharpCap! The processed image, to my eyes, is not as aesthetically pleasing as the original but it certainly shows the incredible detail and structure on the Lunar surface. :icon-smile:

Moon4se_Snapshot at 20_58_35 of Stack_00001_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

On Sunday night, I setup my Celestron CPC-800 with an uncooled ZWO 533mm mono camera. The CPC-800 was to operate in its native F10 configuration, but I also had a Luminos 2.5x barlow to try out at F25. For many years, the F6.3 focal reducer has been a permanent fixture on this scope. Tonight, however it was returned to its box. Unlike my previous night's observing I could operate the CPC-800 from the comfort of my office, situated at the great distance of 4-5 meters from the scope. :lol:

The Moon was even brighter at 96% illumination and also hovered around 30 to 35 degrees of altitude. I use CPWI to control both scopes and the CPC-800 with its decreased field of view had no problem plate-solving during the brief alignment procedure. The focusing had to be moved a long way negative to focus at F10 and even further, later on at F25. The field of view could not accommodate the full Lunar disc.

I didn't realise until I came to write this post, that I had left the 533mm set to the MONO16 colour space! I was wasting a lot of transfer and processing bytes. Next time I will switch to MONO8. To be honest, in my complete ignorance of my mistake, I found the frame rate of the 533 to zip along nicely. I wonder what performance I will get using MONO8.

The image below was from a running stack of 500 subs, 15.276ms exposure, zero gain with Fine and Level 1 wavelet sharpening. The image was transformed, resized and lightly processed in GIMP. The two rayed craters of Copernicus (centre) and Kepler (centre-left) were magnificent.

I was using the excellent Virtual Moon Atlas application to explore the view and gain some insights into what I was actually seeing. The view didn't quite match up until I discovered the "Local zenith on top" checkbox. Checking the box, nicely lined up the live view on the Alt-Az mount with the application. This application is absolutely packed with features to enhance your observing session. Many thanks to the authors.

Moon25p_Snapshot at 23_42_26 of Stack_00002_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

Next up, I journeyed south to the rayed crater of Tycho and the heavily cratered South Pole of the Moon. All image settings were the same as above with the exception of me playing with the wavelets and image enhancements.

Moon25_Snapshot at 23_57_26 of Stack_00003_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

At this point, I added the Luminos 2.5x barlow into the optical train. The image became softer and focusing became harder. Up to this point I had been eye-balling the focus but I tried out SharpCap's focussing tools. I use the Multi-Star FWHM Measurement focusing in all my EAA sessions but had never used the planetary focussing tools. Maybe, I should have read the manual, but where's the fun in that! :lol: I had three options to try, Contrast, Histogram Range and Fourier. I tried them all and found I could get the Contrast (Edge) Detection to work consistently. Unlike my experience with FWHM focussing where you want the smallest value and hence the lowest part in you focussing graph. The Contrast focussing is looking for the highest value and hence you want the peak of the focussing graph. I have to say, it all worked very smoothly.

The last image is a cropped view at F25 of the area around the bright crater Aristarchus (40x40km) and its neighbour Herodotus. I really enjoyed the sinuous Valles Schroteri. A 160km by 10km rille extending to the North before snaking West.

moonpf25_23_11_07.jpg

Apologies for the length of the post. I was really excited after my first Lunar observing session in "many Moons" :lol: I might now have the Lunar and Solar bug to go along with my normal EAA adventures and as always ever-more to learn!

Have fun.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Lunar EAA Adventures (April 2024)

Post by Graeme1858 »

You have captured some excellent detail there Pete.

Thanks for the educational post.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 595

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very interesting post. Thanks Pete.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Excellent session Pete, the minerals are showing nicely in the pre and post edited images...

Cool you got the chance to play a little.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 50 / Solar Observing Sessions 199
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Very nice report, and some great photos!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA); Vespera II (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

They are very beautiful, my choice stops on the 2nd, thx Pete .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice narrative and excellent pictures; both the narrative and pics have a lot of detail! Thanks for all the info on how you did this Pete, and you really got some great captures!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC