My garbage find/possible new project

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

My garbage find/possible new project

Post by Thefatkitty »

G'day all :D

It's been a lousy week for weather here. The eclipse was a bust for me on Monday, and the past two days have been rainy and cold, with high winds yesterday. Good times.

Yesterday I was in the Ontario town of Uxbridge at about 10AM. As I was driving down a street, I could have sworn I saw a dobsonian at the side of the road. I wanted to pull over, but I had already driven by a parking lot, and now I'd have to turn around, etc. I convinced myself it was probably junk and I really didn't have any room in my truck as well, so I kept going. Yet it bothered me all day...

This morning I woke up because I have a bladder the size of a peanut, so there's that. It was 4:30AM. Once again, my mind drifted to that telescope. So much for going back to sleep. I went upstairs and was greeted by Sasha the cat who was very happy I was up. Glad you are, pussycat, I'm not. I opened the back door to let her highness out and we were greeted by wind and rain and cold. Oh, spring.

I fed the needy beast and made myself some coffee. I ckecked Google maps, it would be a 45 minute drive to where the scope might still be, if no one else had come along in the meantime. I have nothing better to do except maybe sleep, so at 6:00 I took my wife's Civic and hit the road. What a lovely drive it was. Windy and rainy going along dark country roads with no street lights. That's a good thing for LP, but not so good for navigating.

I finally reached Uxbridge at a bit before 7AM. The car informed me it was 2C (34F) out. Yes it was, and the wind and now sleet didn't help that.
The object of my quest was about a minute away from this intersection (Brock Rd. and Toronto St., if you care).

01.JPG

I pulled into the parking lot, walked across the street, and look what was still there, an Orion 8" dob:

02.JPG

I immediately noticed the secondary mirror was gone for some reason. However, the primary looked to have no chips or cracks, though it was dirty for sure! And as you can see, the base is done with. I wonder how long it was out there?
I unhooked the springs from what was left of the base, and carried the tube to the car. Into the back seat it went; I can see it's gonna need some work on the mirror cell:

03.JPG

At least the focuser is still there, though that'll need work too I'm sure. And the ID tag, which saves me some measuring:

04.JPG
05.JPG

I got home before 8, and took the scope in the back door. I took a pic of the primary, it actually looks better than the picture. The inside of the tube looks a bit ratty though:

06.JPG

So that's my morning so far. Now my stomach is rumbling, it's time to eat. Over the weekend I'll take a better look at all this and see where I'm at with the primary. I still have a few gallons of distilled water ;)

I'll post back here as I go and if anyone knows where I can get a spider vane/secondary, I'm all ears! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: My garbage find/possible new project

Post by Graeme1858 »

A great find Mark.

And a great project for someone with your fettling skills!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great adventure; great find! Enjoy.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the post. Now you have me all interested in how this project turns out. Thanks for bringing us along with you on your treasure hunt. :auto-iroc:
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks for the comments all, I love stuff like this :lol:

Well, a few updates. I had breakfast, then went to see someone about refinishing their deck. I do a lot of side jobs come the spring/summer; all thanks to meeting people from my main job. The work is easy for me, the money is good and it helps pay the bills/fun money.

I got back at 10:30 and decided to bring my new find downstairs and see what was what. First I tried to remove the primary. Out of six screws, 3 came out, one the head snapped off, and two others were just soft rust; my Philips made a mess of that. OK, not an issue.

07.JPG
08.JPG

Next was the focuser. That came out easily, but the locking screw for the tube was too tight. I went to loosen it and it snapped in half in my hand; no tools needed! Hmmm. I'll have to soak that in WD-40 and get it (hopefully) with a pair of vice-grips from the other side. It also is missing the rubber on the focusing knobs, but I have a fix for that if need be.

09.JPG

My main goal was to get the primary out. I carried the scope outside to the backyard and placed it on two milk crates; I wedged some BBQ lighters in the crates so it wouldn't roll of while I got my grinder.

10.JPG

For this, I used a DeWalt Flap Disc, P/N DW8313 if you're interested:

11.JPG

Off I went, and success, though I'll need some touch-up paint for the tube ;) The mirror is quite dirty, and if you're wondering what that is to the side, it's someone's drivers license; it was wedged between the mirror and the cell :lol:
I blacked out the number on it.... It was issued in 2010, and the owner lives no where near Uxbridge. How that got in there is beyond me, but methinks alcohol may have been involved... Anyways, I cut it up into tiny pieces and put it in the garbage.

12.JPG
13.JPG

The inside of the tube needs a serious cleaning and sanding where the cell fits in. It is what it is.

14.JPG

So I'll see how the primary cleans up and take it from there. The focuser, well... One step at a time :D

OK, I'm either going to have a nap or clean/soak the primary. They are both good options right now, though the nap is less work... ;)

Thanks for reading all!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Fun rescue project Mark! Fingers crossed the main mirror is in a good shape.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A interesting find Mark, good luck with the project :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Great find. I presume buying another secondary will be unproblematic?
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 593

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow Mark. Nice find and probably a fun refurbishment project, you'll certainly get some satisfaction out of it.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yay Mark,

I've got my fingers crossed that all turns out well, and this bargain stays a bargain!

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

carastro wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:33 am Great find. I presume buying another secondary will be unproblematic?

Thank you Carole! As for the secondary.... Wow. The secondary isn't an issue, but spider-vanes? Seems I can't find anything that doesn't cost half the price of the scope new! So I have an idea to make my own spider and holder for the mirror, we'll see how that works :D

helicon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:36 pm Wow Mark. Nice find and probably a fun refurbishment project, you'll certainly get some satisfaction out of it.

Thanks Michael, it should be fun. So far I need to drill and tap three new holes on the primary cell, and one on the focuser. Might be a lot of DIY here!

JayTee wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 pm Yay Mark,

I've got my fingers crossed that all turns out well, and this bargain stays a bargain!

Cheers,

Thanks JT! :D I'm hoping it does too, be interesting to see what I can conjure up.It's gonna need it...!! :lol:

And an update. I let the mirror soak in distilled water and liquid Tide for the weekend. I took it out this morning, put it on the dishrack to dry, and this is what I have.

mirror-after.jpg

Wow. Not what I was hoping for... It's really going to need a recoating, or a whole new mirror. I could go the Zambuto recoating route; I just checked and it's $200US for this size mirror. I'll have to pay shipping both ways and duty, but it is a thought... I could also get a GSO from Agena, but out of stock and for the price I'd pay for that as well, not sure what to do here.

The secondary mirror I can get and make my own spider for it. As for the focuser; I'm thinking of making a fine-thread helical focuser for it.

Thoughts, opinions, links to reasonably priced products, I'd appreciate it all :D

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Bummer! Considering that the tube is also in a bad shape and the base and other parts are missing I would scratch the restoration. Your already have an 8" scope in a good shape.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 pm Bummer! Considering that the tube is also in a bad shape and the base and other parts are missing I would scratch the restoration. Your already have an 8" scope in a good shape.
Andrey, I'm sitting here thinking the same thing. It would be cheaper to get another dob, and you're right; seeing as how I already have an 8" SCT plus other scopes, I really don't need it.... It just pains me though! :lol:

Appreciate the input :D
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:40 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 pm Bummer! Considering that the tube is also in a bad shape and the base and other parts are missing I would scratch the restoration. Your already have an 8" scope in a good shape.
Andrey, I'm sitting here thinking the same thing. It would be cheaper to get another dob, and you're right; seeing as how I already have an 8" SCT plus other scopes, I really don't need it.... It just pains me though! :lol:

Appreciate the input :D
I know! Maybe you can re-purpose the mirror and the tube for some other (none-astronomy) projects.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

HI Mark,

You could research/try these guys.

https://www.spectrum-coatings.com/prices

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice find Mark, the best "pets" are rescued ones!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 am Nice find Mark, the best "pets" are rescued ones!
Applies to real pets to!

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You can strip the coatings and recoat it yourself or grind a new mirror as a future project.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Mark,
Did you keep the dob mount? I've never owned one but at one stage considered buying a 14" Oriion XXG. They appeared mechanically superior and more portable than many other competitor dobs.

You might want to test the figure on the mirror before investing in a new coating. As you have seen, a good coating with overcoat can cost more than a whole mirror. I spent USD280 to get my 6" recoated and overcoated. But I made the mirror 46 years ago and knew the figure was good enough to be worth the investment. Were it an Orion UK mirror, then probably yes. But that will probably be a Synta mirror and a full replacement might be the way to go. Just be sure to buy a parabolic mirror not one of the cheap spherical mirrors that are flogged on eBay, Amazon etc.

Good luck

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

This seems to be a very interesting project.
keep us posted on developments.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: