Lunt 50mm HA Solar scope first light

Discuss solar related topics.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Lunt 50mm HA Solar scope first light

Post by Bigzmey »

04/14/2024

My new Lunt 50mm HA Solar scope has arrived last week and I was impatiently waiting for a chance to take it for a spin. The forecast for the next ten days did not look great, but to my surprise and delight the sun broke the clouds today around 10 am. I have dropped everything, grabbed the scope and Manfrotto tripod and run out. Eventually, I would like to use the scope on a tracking mount but did not want to mess with it today.
Lunt A.jpg
Lunt B.jpg
My plan was to use Baader Mark IV zoom. Unfortunately, there was not enough inward travel to reach focus with it. So, I have run back home and grabbed my EP case. TV Delites in shorter FLs did not reach focus either, but due to outward focuser limit. Vixen SLVs on the other hand worked nicely in all FLs.

It took some practice finding the sun. The eye position for this scope is very sensitive and prone to blackouts, I have learned to hover above EP to keep the sun image steady, which is different from nighttime observing. At night I use a hoodie to block stray light. For sun I have discovered that baseball cap works better.

I have started at low power SLV 25mm (14x) where the Sun was smallish and worked my way down to 6mm (58x). Wow, just wow! The level of details exceeded my best expectations.

As I cranked power larger sunspots got resolved into small groups and mini sunspots popped all over the sun disk. Granulation, filaments, arches, proms, umbra and penumbra in sunspots, all were there with finest level of details. Proms showed intricate patterns down to tiniest threads. As I turned slowly the pressure handle new details within the disk came into view.

One hour in I was just warming up. Run home to grab more of short FL EPs, but when came back the clouds moved in. Glad that my wife managed to take a look and she was blown away to! Now we both are solar heads for life. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Lunt 50mm HA Solar scope first light

Post by Solsearcher »

Very detailed first light report ! I was confident you wouldn't be disappointed . The restricted view is due to the blocking filter size , B600 is 6mm , the B1200 is double the size at 12mm and will open up your field of view . Could be something to consider down the road
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good for you Andrey! What a nice read and congrats on the good luck with the viewing. Your skies behind you look menacing!
Bigzmey wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 pm Glad that my wife managed to take a look and she was blown away to! Now we both are solar heads for life.
Always good when you can get the other half involved; nice for you both.

Not trying to help you spend your $$$, but Mike is so right. I went from a 5mm to a 10mm and visually it was even more amazing, plus easier to find ol' Sol.

Like you said, it's always a bit more... ;)

Nice report and a big recommendation for VROD :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Mike and Mark! What you are saying makes perfect sense. I will add 12mm to my list.

Was not sure how much we would like HA solar, but since it clicked with us, will be looking into upgrades for sure down the road.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257