My new toy

Discuss solar related topics.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

My new toy

Post by Bigzmey »

Monday's eclipse rekindled my interest in solar. I have started contemplating/reading what kind of equipment would get me to the next level of solar details/resolution compared to the projection setup I use.

I almost settled on a Herschel wedge but then while researching different models saw a used Coronado pst for sale for a bit more then brand new Herschel wedge.

Hmm, started researching HA scopes and people recommend Lunt over Coronado. So, looked at Lunt models and realized that spending a bit more gets me 40mm Lunt over 40mm Coronado. :)

Started reading about 40mm Lunt and people say it has a few compromises compared to 50mm Lunt. OK, 50mm Lunt is just a bit more. :D

Looked for availability and there were none with 4mm filters in stock, but for just a bit more there were 3 at Agena with 6mm filters.

OK, 6mm it is! :lol:

Of cause if you start reading about 50mm Lunt then you see people saying bump it up to 60mm. BUT! That's not a little bit more. :) Going from 50mm to 60mm more than doubles the price. I think for visual 50mm do just fine.

Ordered yesterday afternoon and to my surprise bumped into UPS guy on the way out this morning. Just a quick look before going to work. It is a thing of beauty! Still need to figure out the mount, but can't wait to use this baby!
20240410_103948.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: My new toy

Post by StarHugger »

Nice choice, First light us asap...
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 49 / Solar Observing Sessions 198
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations!!!

The sun is really active now, so good timing!

Here's a great website for checking out current activity.

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableVie ... hAlpha.cfg
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Congratulations Bigzmey !!! I know you will not regret it . There is so much more to see in narrow band , enjoy !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks everyone!

@Solsearcher
You have quite an array of HA scopes. Do you use them all for visual? Also, is double stack for visual worth the $$?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:01 am Thanks everyone!

@Solsearcher
You have quite an array of HA scopes. Do you use them all for visual? Also, is double stack for visual worth the $$?

I have used them all for visual but mostly use them for imaging now . My 60mm as well as my 90mm are both double stacked and yes double stacking does make a big difference for the surface , it will bring out more surface detail and make the view more 3d like .
IMG_3622.JPG
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Have fun Bigz!
Very nice scope!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Congratulations Bigz!

Looking forward to your first light!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Congratulations Andrey; you're going to love it! I am so happy with my HA scope, which, BTW, was built by Mike (@Solsearcher ). He is so knowledgeable about all things Solar. I supplied the ERF (a Baader 90mm) and he supplied the donor PST for the etalon and the XLT 102 doner scope to make it. He also did the machining for a cell for the ERF and put it all together. The total cost for me was under 1400CDN, half of which was the ERF!! :lol: Mike was kind enough to do the machining work for free. That's when you bring beer! :lol:

I will say too, Mike is so right about the double-stack. I've looked through his, and there is a more immersive and detailed view, not to mention the 3D effect. It's a Wow moment for sure! But hey, you gotta start somewhere. You can always upgrade your scope later :D

I'm really looking forward to your first light experience. Bet you can't wait for your first clear day, and don't forget to block the Sun from your eye and eyepiece ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC