30 March 2024

Let's see your reports!
Mike Q United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

30 March 2024

Post by Mike Q »

Saturday night was kind of clearish, so I rolled the 10 inch out and adjusted the setting circle to north and went for it. This would be a low power cluster kind of night, so the ES 30/82 was in the focuser.

The double cluster was the first target of the night and was still a lovely sight, even though the tree limbs.

M36, 37 and 38 all revealed well with 37 being the brightest to me. Here is a question. Who names these things, I certainly don't see a starfish when I look at M38. We will chaulk it up to a lack of imagination on my part I guess.

The Rosetta Nebula revealed well and a bit of Nebulocity was visible even with no filter. M46 with its faint planetary revealed well, a filter would have brought it out better as well.

I hit about a dozen open clusters with M44 being the brightest and then switched over to galaxies.

First up were M81 and 82. They both revealed some detail in the ES 11/82, but the best images came with the 14/80 LHD with both just fitting in the FOV. A quick scan of the sky said I better get moving as the clouds were starting to roll it. M95 and 96 showed up nicely in the 20/80. LHD. M84 and 86 were visible but a haze was now in the eyepiece and starting to conceal the images. The only glob for the night was M68, it was there but I was loosing the battle with the clouds rapidly. I decided the Sombrero would be the last target, no soon do it get it lined up and the clouds covered it. That was the end of the session.

A couple of takeaways from the night. First, I need to use the 10 more. Go to technology has spoiled me. I used to be a demon with a setting circle and angle gauge and I was definitely out of practice. Still, I was able to hit 19 targets in about 1.5 hours and that isn't too bad.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 593

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 30 March 2024

Post by helicon »

Nice report Mike. Congratulations on seeing the nebulosity in the Rosette. That's not easy to do and nets you the VROD for the day!

viewtopic.php?p=269369#p269369
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Mike Q United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

helicon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:36 pm Nice report Mike. Congratulations on seeing the nebulosity in the Rosette. That's not easy to do and nets you the VROD for the day!

viewtopic.php?p=269369#p269369
The nebulosity looked like haze. It was noticeable but not jumping out at you. The next time I have the 16 inch out I will hit it again and also try a Oiii or narrow band filter to try and bring it out. The increased aperture won't hurt either.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Hi Rob, congrats on the VROD. I'm really enjoying my new (old) 10" DOB, such a nice aperture! A nice range of objects, some not observable from 35S but then being 35S I'm not complaining either :-)

I'm coming to terms with a non-goto scope, actually just a rigel finder as my scope is an ultra portable and thee is no setting circles etc (so light weight that I probably cant even use an 30mm finder scope??). I'm certainly not getting to that many objects in a whole night, let alone 1.5hr.

I hope you were somewhere near the tranist path today; the best I could do from Oz was watch the NASA broadcast. Not even close to the real thing :-) I was lucky to go to WA last year, my first eclipse. Amazing.

Cheers
Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42