ECLIPSE WEATHER PROGNOSIS

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

ECLIPSE WEATHER PROGNOSIS

Post by OzEclipse »

8_TSE2023-single-5470-no-text.jpg

Hi all,

I am an eclipse chaser with a 94% weather success rate across 30 years of eclipse chasing and 18 central eclipses. I've only ever been completely clouded out once when we rolled the dice and went to Shanghai China in peak monsoon season. But we knew our chances were very low.

In 2012, I directly organised a trip for group of 120 people and had another 300 subscribing to information I was providing for an eclipse in tropical north Queensland at the start of monsoon season. On that occasion, all of the people people receiving my weather location advice and who followed that advice, saw totality. Some, "did their own research" and were clouded out. Across the north Queensland region, based on a large number of reports, approximately 2/3 of eclipse chasers were clouded out so my groups result was considered outstanding.

https://www.eclipse-chaser-log.com/eclipse-log/38

I have read that the average for repeat offender eclipse chasers like me is around 75%-85% weather success rate.

However, I will start by stating that I am not a meteorologist. I use a combination of rat-cunning and knowing what sources to listen to and what to ignore. I have stayed home in Australia this eclipse so although I don't have skin in the game, I have been following with interest because I have a lot of friends who are chasing the eclipse, some are contacting me for discussion/opinions.

Now that we are 2-3 days out, the models have hit their range of higher reliability and it's worth looking in a bit more detail. I reviewed the model outputs 66 hrs before totality.

From what I can gather, the cloud distributed all along the eclipse path is not the same. Texas clearly has a problem as do parts of Mexico and the border regions around Niagara Falls- NE Ohio, NW New York, & Ontario. However the cloud north of the Texas border is all high cloud. I have observed a couple of my eclipses through high cloud.

High Cloud Eclipses
A funny effect occurs during totality. The diffuse light from the extended corona and lack of directional light means that while the sun appears quite diffuse and indistinct during the partial eclipse leading up to totality, the diffuse corona doesn't scatter through the thin cloud in the same way and totality is usually visible. The extent of the corona depends, as you would expect, upon cloud thickness and transparency. But even with moderately thick high cloud, the inner corona is usually quite vivid. If high cloud is very thin, then sometimes, it is very nearly transparent.

Current Situation

There's good and bad news. First the good news.....

The model predictions are showing temporal stability and there is broad agreement across multiple models. What does this mean? The predictions in any one model for Monday's eclipse have not been changing for the past few days. This sort of stability always gives me confidence that the models have locked onto the weather. Also, different models are in broad agreement with their cloud predictions, another indication that, although the weather is not perfect everywhere, the predictions have a good degree of reliability, particularly now, 48-72 hrs from totality.

More good news......
All cloud predictions are not equal. The cloud predicted along large tracts of the path is high cloud and Jay Anderson has said that much of that is very thin high cloud at that. The cloud coverage (% of sky with cloud) is quite low through much of the path.

The numbers on this map (pivotal weather) are the total cloud cover % of sky covered with cloud. This map is based upon the CMCE model. The Canadian Meteorological Center (CMC) produces a global computerized weather forecast model twice daily. The CMC model is global, as opposed to, the GFDL and WRF models which are regional models centered over North America. The CMC model is run through 240 hours.
Pivotal.jpg

TOTAL CLOUD COVER
This is the ECMWF model - total cloud cover channel. Yellow is clear, grey to black is cloud.
EC-total.jpg

Looks bad, but if we split the total cloud cover into low, medium and high cloud.....

LOW.
EC-low.jpg

Low cloud is frequently thick convective ground coupled cloud. It moves quickly and so gaps can pass across the sun during totality providing there are gaps. The only problem areas are souther Texas and NE Ohio, NW New York and SW Ontario. The region around Niagara Falls for some distance.

MIDDLE.
EC-middle.jpg

Mexico, inland from the coast (Durango, Torreon) and Ontario and west Quebec have problems with middle cloud. Some types of mid-level cloud (alto-cumulous?) can just disappear before totality (no guarantees) when the rapid temperature drop occurs. Nonetheless, If you can get out from under it, move.

HIGH.
EC-high.jpg

Here is where most of the cloud on the total cloud cover map comes from. The cloud is likely to be thin and while you won't see the fully extended corona, you will see an interesting and spectacular event. A layer of thin cloud provides a projection surface upon which the approaching and receding umbra will have enhanced visibility compared to a completely clear sky.

Conclusion/recommendations
1. If you are in the inland areas of Mexico (Durango, Torreon) move to the coast, Mazatlan, if you can.

2. South Texas - move north into Oklahoma or Arkansas if possible.

3. North Texas(Austin, DFW and north to the border) Relocating across the border in Oklahoma won't improve your chances but driving up to Arkansas does improve your situation.

4. From north Arkansas to West Ohio, you are in pretty good shape and I would be staying put.

5. Moving into north & northwest Ohio, the cloud cover increases rapidly. A move to the SW is advised if practical.

6. SW Ontario - relocate to east Ontario or better, Quebec, border area south of Montreal and east.

7. Border area south of Montreal and east inc north Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick - you are in the best position. Stay put.

8. Newfies - unfortunately the weather model map outputs don't extend out to Newfoundland. I have examined the ECMWF numerical data for St Johns(east), Glovertown,(east) and Codroy(west). St Johns is south of the eclipse path, Glovertown is in the path. It looks as though weather prospects are not good in either location in the east with 100% cloud cover predicted, mix of low, mid and high level. Codroy is somewhat better with just 25% predicted in the hours leading up to the eclipse. Unfortunately 100% middle level and 100% high level cloud is predicted to arrive around the time of the eclipse. Nonetheless, your chances are much better there than staying on the east of the island.

Drive carefully, clear skies and best of luck!

Joe "OzEclipse" Cali.

3_TSE2023-K5-135MM-7708-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ECLIPSE WEATHER PROGNOSIS

Post by Ylem »

Back in 2017 it was partly cloudy in South Carolina, but it cleared up just in time for the show.

Something happened with the Transit of Venus, just plain dumb luck I guess.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ECLIPSE WEATHER PROGNOSIS (T-42 hrs)

Post by OzEclipse »

TSE2017wide-5112-2000px-5.jpg

I have examined the outputs of the same model outputs today at 43 hours before totality. The updated model run predictions are essentially identical to yesterday. Though the weather isn't ideal, it is stable, enabling plans to relocate around cloud masses to be made with some confidence. My conclusions and recommendations remain unchanged since yesterday.

Joe-Cali_TSE2015_4f.jpg
Conclusions / Recommendations(same as 6 April)

1. If you are in the inland areas of Mexico (Durango, Torreon) move to the coast, Mazatlan, if you can.

2. South Texas - move north into Oklahoma or Arkansas if possible.

3. North Texas(Austin, DFW and north to the border) Relocating across the border in Oklahoma won't improve your chances but driving up to Arkansas does improve your situation.

4. From north Arkansas to West Ohio, you are in pretty good shape and I would be staying put.

5. Moving into north & northwest Ohio, the cloud cover increases rapidly. A move to the SW is advised if practical.

6. SW Ontario - relocate to east Ontario or better, Quebec, border area south of Montreal and east.

7. Border area south of Montreal and east inc north Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick - you are in the best position. Stay put.

8. Newfies - unfortunately the weather model map outputs don't extend out to Newfoundland. I have examined the ECMWF numerical data for St Johns(east), Glovertown,(east) and Codroy(west). St Johns is south of the eclipse path, Glovertown is in the path. It looks as though weather prospects are not good in either location in the east with 100% cloud cover predicted, mix of low, mid and high level. Codroy is somewhat better with just 25% predicted in the hours leading up to the eclipse. Unfortunately 100% middle level and 100% high level cloud is predicted to arrive around the time of the eclipse. Nonetheless, your chances are much better there than staying on the east of the island.
Joe-Cali-TSE2015-1453d-7f-1000px.png

Drive carefully, clear skies and best of luck!

Joe "OzEclipse" Cali.
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Thanks Joe,

Best of luck out there !
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 49 / Solar Observing Sessions 198
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

StarHugger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:09 am Thanks Joe,

Best of luck out there !
Hi Aaron
Thanks but I am sitting this one out here in Australia. I decided some time ago not to travel for this one and I’m currently running a 5 week astrophotography workshop with the main dark sky imaging session this week. I’m just lending my experience reading weather modelling and resources to help others.

Cheers

Joe.
Mike Q United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Well here we are, eclipse day. At this moment we do have some cloud cover but it looks like it will break up. It looks like the expected crowds are not going materialize but that is fine with me. Looks like we will clear out in three hours leaving us some high thin stuff.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240408_070351_AccuWeather.jpg
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Mike Q United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Well here we are, about 1 hour and change from game time. The skies are in decent shape with only thin wispy clouds. Nothing to really mess up the event. Just looking at the radar it seems the best place in the State would be up on the lake west of Sandusky.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

It's clear and comfortable here in NJ :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:14 am

Best of luck out there !
Hi Aaron
Thanks but I am sitting this one out here in Australia. I decided some time ago not to travel for this one and I’m currently running a 5 week astrophotography workshop with the main dark sky imaging session this week. I’m just lending my experience reading weather modelling and resources to help others.

Cheers

Joe.
I see next total in Australia is on July 22 2028. What is the risk running into clouds this time of year?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:11 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:14 am

Best of luck out there !
Hi Aaron

Cheers

Joe.
I see next total in Australia is on July 22 2028. What is the risk running into clouds this time of year?

Hi Andrey,
Risk is somewhere between very low and moderately high.
Joe
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Andrey
@Bigzmey
The eclipse crosses the whole continent from the tropics in the Kimberley's in north Western Australia and the Northern Territory to temperate climate in Sydney.

We have two summer totalities and two winter totalities over the next 15 years.

In our summer North Australia is under monsoonal influence from the ITCZ - cloudy, southern Australia is predominantly clear

In our winter, north Australia is predominantly clear and southern Australia gets more clouds from fronts coming up from the Southern Ocean.

TSE2028-cloud+path.jpg

The green dot is my location. Although the path south limit is just 120km from home, centre line 300km, I'd probably head up somewhat northwest 500-600km to get out of the winter low pressure systems. From here I can push farther north only if necessary. Probably no need to get to the Northern Territory or Western Australia. The towns in this region are very small (hundreds to a couple of thousand) and the crowds will be huge.

This is a plot of all central eclipses 1999-2042.

Australian_central_ecl_1999_2042.jpg

TYPE...........DATE/MON.......BEST LOCATION
TOTAL..........2028 July .......Northern Australia Kimberley, Northern Territory, SW Qld, NW NSW
TOTAL..........2030 Nov.........Southern Australia South Australia
ANNULAR......2035 Mar.........Ocean south of Tasmania only, no choice
TOTAL..........2037 July........Northern Australia Central Australia/ SE Qld
TOTAL..........2038 Dec.........Southern Australia Victoria NSW border.
ANNULAR......2042 Oct.........Southern Australia