Right Angle Viewfinder for Polar Scope

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Right Angle Viewfinder for Polar Scope

Post by StarBru »

You can buy right angle SLR film camera viewfinders with or without an adapter for your polar scope, but since I already had an Olympus viewfinder, I wanted to use it and make my own adapter. I've seen the adapters run about $35 and the adapter plus viewfinder for anywhere from $66 to $119 USD. Here's my viewfinder:
IMG_20231021_164236732.jpg

I saw online where someone had just adapted an empty pill container, and I thought I'd try that first. Although my Olympus on the opposite end of the eyepiece is rectangular and most are round, I was able to press/force-fit it into the open side of the pill container and then cut off the other side of the pill container to just fit the end of the round polar scope eyepiece.

The good news is it fits both of my EQ mounts' polar scopes! I have not tested it through the polar scopes yet. I will most likely want to cut some length off the plastic pill container to achieve proper focus or just for aesthetics. I hope to test it out this weekend. But I think my Olympus OM 1.2x - 2.5x RA VariMagni Viewfinder will find new life working with my polar scopes from now on!
Attachments
IMG_20231021_154225931.jpg
IMG_20231021_153659271_HDR.jpg
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: Right Angle Viewfinder for Polar Scope

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice adaption, hopefully it works well for you.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's very inventive Bruce!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Glad it is working for you. I got one if those some years ago but it didn’t work well for some reason l have forgotten now.

Then a heavy dog ran into me in the park and fractured my knee. 7 years ago now. Had to have surgery (xray attached).

Decided kneeling was not going to be an option for PA any more (still have the hardwear in my knee to this day). So l bought Polemaster. Wonderful bit of kit.

Carole
Attachments
4287C442-400B-4999-BB4A-8EFA0D51AD0E.jpeg
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

carastro wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:55 am Glad it is working for you. I got one if those some years ago but it didn’t work well for some reason l have forgotten now.

Then a heavy dog ran into me in the park and fractured my knee. 7 years ago now. Had to have surgery (xray attached).

Decided kneeling was not going to be an option for PA any more (still have the hardwear in my knee to this day). So l bought Polemaster. Wonderful bit of kit.

Carole
Gosh, Carole. Sorry to hear that! That's quite a break you have there! I almost always first try the low or non-tech way to improve something with my observing equipment, but I have to admit going the high-tech road is sometimes preferable. :icon-smile: I don't know much about it and have never tried Polemaster, but I should probably check it out.

One reason why I mostly observe from my backyard these days is a matter of (besides time and comfort) safety concerns. I remember once decades ago, while seeking a darker observing site, I decided to drive to a desert area just a few miles away from the neighborhood light pollution near my Tucson, Arizona home. I parked my car, unloaded and set up my telescope, and waited about 20 minutes for my eyes to dark adapt when I heard a rustling noise in the desert bushes nearby. I was alone and I couldn't see what it was but it sounded like a larger animal, one that wasn't afraid to make some noise, and I feared it could be a Javelina or similar wild animal that could do me harm. The hair on the back of my neck stood up, and my fear overtook me. I ran to my car just a few feet away, turned the lights on, honked the horn, and stuffed my equipment into the car in record time! I left the site and never went back. I now live in Casa Grande, Arizona and a pair of Bobcats and coyotes have been seen just outside of my neighborhood. So my backyard is good for now while observing alone. :lol:
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Petrol Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Petrol »

Holy moly Carole, that looks bad. I modified a right angle viwefinder to fit my mobile EQ5 rig. I'm hassled with too many cables and try to keep everything down to a minimum so didn't want a cam. I aslo adapted a plastic tube, a house vacuum cleaner nozzle but it kept falling off. I ended up fibreglassing the right angle viewfinder to the polar scope and it's been spot on since. I'm also hassled with my knees, too many car restorations have taken their toll.
Great tip though Bruce!

Clear skies
Pete
Rig1. Samyang 135 F2 ED UMC, Player One Poseidon-C Pro, EQ5
Rig2. Celestron RASA 8, Zwo Asi 533 MC Pro, EQ6
APM Astrograph 107/700, Hutech/Idas filters, NINA, Pix.
lots of cables!
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I parked my car, unloaded and set up my telescope, and waited about 20 minutes for my eyes to dark adapt when I heard a rustling noise in the desert bushes nearby. I was alone and I couldn't see what it was but it sounded like a larger animal, one that wasn't afraid to make some noise, and I feared it could be a Javelina or similar wild animal that could do me harm. The hair on the back of my neck stood up, and my fear overtook me. I ran to my car just a few feet away, turned the lights on, honked the horn, and stuffed my equipment into the car in record time! I left the site and never went back. I now live in Casa Grande, Arizona and a pair of Bobcats and coyotes have been seen just outside of my neighborhood. So my backyard is good for now while observing alone. :lol:
We are lucky in the UK no scary animals to pop out of the woods. But l would only do astronomy on a campsite, plenty of humans who could steal your kit or worse in a public place on your own.
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

I managed to pick one up at the local second hand shop. I saw one quite a while back but was in a rush and figured they were not uncommon. Learned my lesson. Went back and it was gone. Took many months until I snagged this one.
Now I just have to get out of this slump and get my scopes back out there.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

@StarBru
This is the reason when going to remote locations I always take a radio with me.
Most animals will avoid you after that.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt