pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

We doan need no steenkin' dark energy

Post by pakarinen »

Interesting paper...

Abstract
We show that by allowing our Universe to merge with other universes one is lead (sic) to modified Friedmann equations that explain the present accelerated expansion of our Universe without the need of a cosmological constant.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 023/12/011
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Re: We doan need no steenkin' dark energy

Post by hosshead »

yes but.

how do they propose we disallow merging of universes?
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

I know, let's vote on it.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

There's a good chance we'll never know what Dark Energy is.

If we're in the process of merging with another Universe it's highly likely we'll never know.

Unless it causes a phase transition that wipes us out, but then we would definitely never know!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

DM has been a mystery for so long -decades - that it is hard to see any solutions to the theories out there.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:32 pm Interesting paper...
Is it? Did you read the whole thing? Somehow, I don't think so, otherwise, you would have realised that this is about the Hubble constant. There is no concrete evidence to suggest that the Hubble constant and dark energy are indeed the same thing. They could be, but we won't know how closely they are related and if they are the same thing until we get the results of the latest full data sets from the most recent experiments, which are still in progress. The authors are quite careful about that.

Ultimately, the Hubble tension is a motivating factor for this paper which attempts to address the issues associated with the two measured values for the Hubble constant by invoking the idea of bombardment by baby iniverses. However, as the authors of the paper state, there are caveats. Some of these are quite important to consider before one states that something is or is not required. For example...

First and perhaps the most difficult one to swallow is the fact that they address a real measured problem in the observable universe with something that is ultimately pure speculation and hypothetical.

As stated, the models used are quite primitive and unrealistic

They apply to late-time evolution and say nothing about the early evolution of the universe, except where the authors speculate that our universe could have been absorbed by a larger universe, thus doing away with the need for an inflation field and associated inflaton. They then go on to say that they have no process for this and it's difficult to say if this is even possible and might not even do away with the need for inflation.

Different model modes are required to deal with the different measured Hubble parameters requiring a best-fit scenario.

These 'possibilities' are all modelled in 'minispace' environments and they are not sure how this would all play out in the real world.

Thus, while it is an interesting idea, and it genuinely is. It merely hints at the possibility of an alternative view that might hold credence, if it were possible to prove that our universe has indeed been bombarded by baby universes.

It does nothing to prove that we don't need dark energy. It shows an expanding universe that doesn't require a Hubble constant. So dark energy is merely replaced with baby universe collisions that squash the Hubble Constant yet still provide expansion. In other words, dark energy is still required to get the universe we live in. Just a different phrasing.

Our current best-fit model still stands, for now.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Baby Universes Mergers

Post by Graeme1858 »

Our universe is merging with 'baby universes', causing it to expand, new theoretical study suggests

https://www.space.com/universe-merging- ... -expansion

An interesting theory.

Graeme

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Baby Universes Mergers

Post by helicon »

Very interesting link thanks Graeme
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Baby Universes Mergers

Post by Gmetric »

Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 pm Our universe is merging with 'baby universes', causing it to expand, new theoretical study suggests

https://www.space.com/universe-merging- ... -expansion

An interesting theory.

Graeme
The same study is posted here viewtopic.php?t=33431

It is an interesting idea but isn't without plenty of caveats. As they say at the end of the article "only observational data can validate their hypothesis" ...It'll be interesting to see what Ethan Siegel and others say about this.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Well spotted Arry, Topics merged.

We can add Ethan's and other's comments here.

Graeme

AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Here's more speculation for y'all to chew on -- I don't have strong enough jaws (metaphorically) for this kind of physics:
https://www.sciencealert.com/physicist- ... -years-old
which is apparently based on:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3 ... 357/ad1bc6
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”