Grab and Go definition

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Grab and Go definition

Post by Mike Q »

On another forum you see great arguments on what exactly is a grab and go telescope. Should it be something you can just grab and walk out the door with carrying it in one hand, or is it something that you can easily load up in a car and go somewhere. To me, the term grab and go means something i can deploy quickly to grab a quick peak at something. For me its my 10 inch dob that lives on a cart. I can easily be observing in 5 minutes. I roll it outside and point it up. Doesn't get any easier then that.

So what does Grab and Go mean to everyone else on here. There are probably no wrong answers to this question
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Grab and Go definition

Post by KingClinton »

For me, grab and go means a scope that I can get outside and set up within 10 minutes and be ready to view.
It also needs to be a grab and go for travel, it needs to be easily transported and set up at a remote location within minutes.
So the scope I use to grab and go outside in the yard also needs to be compact and light enough to take to the outskirts of town or on longer trips and be quick and easy to set up.

Like you say, no right or wrong answers here.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

For me it's about doing it all in one trip.
Whether it's a smallish OTA and tripod or a Dob on a hand cart.

It's all about one trip out the door for me :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I am a bit conservative in grab and go definition. For me it is a compact and lightweight setup which is easy to carry in one go and fast to setup. Here is one of my grab and go rigs. It is not just small and lightweight, but also the case contains everything I need to observe: the scope, mount head, finder, diagonal, EPs, barlow, filters. I can grab the case and mount legs and I know that I am all set to fly, drive or step out and start observing.
Onyx 80ED on UA MicroStar.jpg
Onyx 80ED travel kit A.jpg
I know some people use "grab and go" as "easy and fast to deploy". But I don't feel they are the same.

To give you an example, some folks in my astro club have remote access observatories. They push a key on their laptop at home and the roof on their observatory opens, another key and their mount comes out of hibernation and their 16" SCT is ready to take images. This is as easy and fast as it gets, but I don't believe anyone would call it grab and go. :)

However, I would not go into a battle over the term. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

My sense of the meaning of "grab and go" is not so much that you can deploy it quickly in your back yard. It is more that you can grab it, throw it in the back of your car, drive to a site, then deploy it quickly at the remote site. Emphasis on the "go" part. At least that is how I use it and interpret it.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

For me, a mount/tripod that can be carried easily with the OTA attached and set up in one trip. The rig literally is grabbed and hand carried to its place of use with minimal fuss, moreover the weight is easily handled.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

For me, if I can fit all the gear in my SUV, it's grab & go... :icon-smile:
But seriously, I have an AWB OneSky that I consider to be my Grab & Go scope.
Between my two big rigs, the CEM70EC and the Astro-Physics Mach 1, the CEM70 is much more portable and easier to travel with.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Grab and Go used to mean for me that I could pick up telescope, mount and tripod with one hand and "swing" it outside into the backyard. I needed no more than a minute or so for it. Since I am a bit older by now I prefer to do the same in two stages. Tripod and mount is stage one, telescope is stage two. It is the same setup though. I need a bit more than two minutes nowadays. The same telescope goes along to star-parties, outreaches and so on. So it must be quite transportable as well.
The weight of it all has become more and more important over the years. My 102mm F5 telescope weighs about 8.8 lbs and the mount/tripod about 13.5 lbs.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:24 pm I am a bit conservative in grab and go definition. For me it is a compact and lightweight setup which is easy to carry in one go and fast to setup. Here is one of my grab and go rigs. It is not just small and lightweight, but also the case contains everything I need to observe: the scope, mount head, finder, diagonal, EPs, barlow, filters. I can grab the case and mount legs and I know that I am all set to fly, drive or step out and start observing.

I know some people use "grab and go" as "easy and fast to deploy". But I don't feel they are the same.

To give you an example, some folks in my astro club have remote access observatories. They push a key on their laptop at home and the roof on their observatory opens, another key and their mount comes out of hibernation and their 16" SCT is ready to take images. This is as easy and fast as it gets, but I don't believe anyone would call it grab and go. :)

So just out of curiosity. How long does it take you to set that up? Say from the time you stand up to go get it, to looking through the eyepiece?
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

For me, it's quite simple.
my 80 lunt mt,
on an easy-to-carry tripod.
I can use it either to look at the sun or use it to look at the night sky.
everything should be setup in less than about 5 minutes.
Obviously everyone has their version of grab and go.
If for them their setup is easy to transport and assemble, it's a grab and go.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mike Q wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:17 am
Bigzmey wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:24 pm I am a bit conservative in grab and go definition. For me it is a compact and lightweight setup which is easy to carry in one go and fast to setup. Here is one of my grab and go rigs. It is not just small and lightweight, but also the case contains everything I need to observe: the scope, mount head, finder, diagonal, EPs, barlow, filters. I can grab the case and mount legs and I know that I am all set to fly, drive or step out and start observing.

So just out of curiosity. How long does it take you to set that up? Say from the time you stand up to go get it, to looking through the eyepiece?
If it in the case, then under 5 min. On occasion I keep it all ussembled on the mount, then I can carry it in one hand and start observing the moment the legs touch the ground. Lately I have been using it with Mark IV zoom and don't need to bring the case.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:14 pm

If it in the case, then under 5 min. On occasion I keep it all ussembled on the mount, then I can carry it in one hand and start observing the moment the legs touch the ground. Lately I have been using it with Mark IV zoom and don't need to bring the case.
I roll my 10 inch out of the garage and grab an eyepiece case in about the same amount of time. It's whatever works right.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

My idea is a small telescope/ mount that can de moved quickly to take advantage of less than good skies or just a quick look around.
My current setup is a Stellarvue 80 mm with a Stellarvue M2C mount/ Vixen 130 tripod.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mike Q wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:20 pm

I roll my 10 inch out of the garage and grab an eyepiece case in about the same amount of time. It's whatever works right.
You have a nice arrangement there Mike. Our house is on the hill, so anywhere I go there is at least one flight of stairs. When I deploy my big guns I need to brake the rig in a few pieces to easily carry and also pass a narrow door.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:25 pm
Mike Q wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:20 pm

You have a nice arrangement there Mike. Our house is on the hill, so anywhere I go there is at least one flight of stairs. When I deploy my big guns I need to brake the rig in a few pieces to easily carry and also pass a narrow door.
Being handy enough to make a cart has made grabbing and going much easier
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

My idea of grab and go is something that I can pick up and carry pretty easily. Minimum setup time.

A lightweight 80mm refractor: SW ED80 3.5kg
Solid professional photographic tripod : Manfrotto 475B & #160 triaxial head. 7kg

I can carry that arrangement with legs extended, out into the yard or onto my front deck, or put it into the car with tube detached from the tripod. My front deck has a good view to the NE, E, and SE horizons.

For example, I used this setup to observe the eclipse of Europa by Io in 2020 using a Pentax XW5
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=150597#p150597

For general deep sky scanning, I use a 30mm 80 deg eyepiece.
Moonfish UW 30mm 500g or Nagler 31mm 900g both yield a nice sharp 4 degree true field.

For planetary, I typically use the Pentax XW5 (120x).

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

I will agree that "Grab and Go" may mean something different to different people. I also have a 10" dob on a garden cart in my shed. I press the garage door opener button and wheel it out. That is about as grab and go as they come. My car is an SUV with back seats that fold down. I noticed I can load my cart, scope, and base quickly into the back and take it when I travel. It is easier to set up than my smaller scopes on mounts. If I go someplace that is too difficult to take the dob, my backup grab and go is a simple pair of binoculars.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Since I don't travel to dark sites very often, GnG for me is a one-hand carry out the back door with the ability to start observing within a couple of minutes.

This morning it was my 50/250 on an AZ Pronto with an EP already in the scope. Good thing too because a cloud bank rolled in within 30 minutes after I went out.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s