chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

My Place In Space - GifNet.US - A Private Observatory

Post by chris_g »

Well Folks,

As I mentioned in my welcome post, I'm back. Maybe not as much as I was in the past, but for the time being, I am back. First, the beginning of my place in space is the construction for my personal observatory. The contractor for the foundation laid out a 15x15 pad for the observatory building and a 20x35 pad for another building that would contain a 20x15 room dedicated to my astronomy pursuits among other things back in January. The concrete was poured about a month ago for both, which was when I found out that BYO didn't seem to be around anymore. Hope they bounce back. Bad thing is, I don't have images of the poured pads yet. As things progress with their construction I will share updates here. Hopefully ones with images of the poured pads soon. Now that we sprang forward, I hate this time of year, I can get outside with some light after work and get some. Hint, 20x35 = a 20x20 garage and a 20x15 storage room made into my office! :lol:

The observatory pad.
foundataion.jpg
Future plans for my observatory as my approach my "golden" years is to turn all my skills over the years in IT back to my hobby as they once were when I was younger. I've owned the gifnet.us domain for the last 23 years now and have run the web site for as long as that. I now run it down the VM OS. I'm high trained tech for a long time in a lot the fields across the industry and I'm going use them for myself real soon instead of doing it for someone else, always loved doing it! Hopefully sooner than later.

APT was my catalyst when I first captured the Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn in December of 20 on my cell and found APT not to much later for my Canon and then The Sky Searchers was my springboard into the sky and my journey began soon after.

Thank you all. So, follow along my friends as I transform www.GifNet.us into my online observatory and link the two together, more plans to follow. I hope to be around for a long time to come and I hope you enjoy!

Clear Skies my friends,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: My Place In Space - GifNet.US - A Private Observatory

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good to see you back Chris.

I look forward to following your GifNet Observatory build.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds exciting! I like your idea of another building for astronomy stuff.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Welcome back. I look forward to watching the progress on your observatory.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:01 pm Sounds exciting! I like your idea of another building for astronomy stuff.
Gotta have a warm room, right? I love tech, so my warm room is going to be high tech. So welcome to the future gifnet.us observatory. Distance from obsy control to the obsy building is about 175 feet. I'm planning full automation and one my skillsets is network engineering. So, in goes the network. First, just ordered fiber for Internet access and connectivity to the web site. That installation will start in about six weeks. After that, I get to trench the wiring for power and network, joy, joy! Still have to figure out the obsy building now with BYO out of the picture. I do have a neighbor close to the obsy building but no lights at night other than his back port light when he takes his dogs out. Eventually there will be a fence with a tree line no higher than 15 to 20 feet between us, problem solved. Neighbor on the other side, I need to fill in the tree line already there to help filter out the security light they have, only one the area.
Obsy_Foundation.jpg
- The 15x15 building to house two fully remote-controlled telescopes and hopefully the potential for a third station for EAA or visual observation space permitting, concept under design.
Obsy_Control_Building.jpg
- The building containing obsy control 20x35.
Obsy_Control.jpg
- The part of the building reserved for obsy control, 15x20. Has a standard door for entry and a 6 foot roll up door in the back. Hoping I don't have to share it with yard equipment!
Obsy_Control_Distance_To_Obsy.jpg
- And the distance to the obsy is between 150 and 175 feet

Clear Skies,
Chris
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I am very happy for you .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

messier 111 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:56 am I am very happy for you .
Thank you,

Found a place where I want to slow down at. Just getting work to cooperate just as little bit would be nice between now and reality. Hoping in a few weeks for a little more time. In that regard. It's actually looking good finally but we'll see how long that lasts.

Clear Skies,
Chris